Isn't Nick Mangold

tkiehl

Reaction score
only 295lbs? why would we take a chance on that with a high pick when Al Johnson weighs more and has had a few years experience? Cleveland blew it with Faine and can not even trade him........

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tkiehl said:
only 295lbs? why would we take a chance on that with a high pick when Al Johnson weighs more and has had a few years experience? Cleveland blew it with Faine and can not even trade him........

We wouldn't.

We do not have an interest in drafting a center.

spindoc

Reaction score
tkiehl said:

I have seen this misconception about centers and weight alot on this board. Just for the record, 295 lbs is not undersized for a college center or even an NFL center. Plus, most linemen drafted put on weight once they enter the NFL and are given the best strength/weight program money can buy.

Some center stats from NFL.com (pro bowl players included):
Jeff Hartings = Weight: 299
Jeff Saturday = Weight: 295
Olin Kreutz = Weight: 292
Ben Hamilton = Weight: 283
Robbie Tobeck = Weight: 297

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
As other people have said we won't draft a Center in the First...But if by some miracle he was there in the 2nd Round...Which he won't be...Then the Cowboys should consider themselves Lucky and pick him!

Of course...I'm a Buckeye!:D

Woods

Reaction score
Maybe one of the problems Al Johnson may have had is that due to his previous injury, he didn't have enough time to fully strengthen his legs?

Doesn't it take about 2 years to fully recover?

I would expect that with another year to improve his leg strength, putting on about 20 lbs or so (to around 317 lbs), and working on his technique, he should make solid progress.

That said, he won't have the natural "girth" of Gurode, but Johnson should hopefully suffice.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
spindoc said:
I have seen this misconception about centers and weight alot on this board. Just for the record, 295 lbs is not undersized for a college center or even an NFL center. Plus, most linemen drafted put on weight once they enter the NFL and are given the best strength/weight program money can buy.

well the argument against Johnson has been that he's been too light, and gets pushed back because of it, and what works against Mangold being 295, is that he's undersized, but not only that, he still has to get used to playing against the strength of the NFL, which won't be till after his rookie year, and being 295 isn't going to help him in that regard

Justis

Reaction score
spindoc said:

while you make a valid point, I think that it's important to have a larger center due to our smaller athletic guards. That way our line both has mobility, and an aspect I call "push".

AbeBeta

Reaction score
if we take a center it will be on day 2 and he'll be abe to play guard as well.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People talk about Johnson like he was pushed back into the back-field on every freaking snap! I don't know what games they were watching but I didn't think he was beaten all the time.

burmafrd

Reaction score
As more and more teams go to the 3-4, he will face more and more big NT's that will eat his lunch. Its only been since he was drafted that the 3-4 has regained popularity. OOOOPPPPPSSSS. Now rumor has it that he has decided to trade some of his quickness for added bulk and has gained about 15 lbs, trying to get up to 310 or so. He was rumored to be under 285 late in the season. He was in camp at 295. Now if he can keep the extra weight without losing too much quickness then he should be better.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
its like when i was a junior in hs, my line was

LT - 195 - so
LG - 220 - jr
C - 165 - jr
RG - 195 - jr
RT - 305 - fr

we went 0-10 our line gave up 5.5 sacks per game and we went through 3 qb's

i think center is all about knowing line assignments and having the right attitude (a bad one)
next year, all same players except new center

LT - 220 - jr
LG - 230 - sr
C - 205 - sr
RG - 220 - sr
RT - 325 - so (this kid is huge and is gonna be good)

record 6-4 started 5-1 but hit a ***** of a schedule :D