It’s gotta be Matt Rhule, right?

Common Sense

Reaction score
1. When asked about Riley, Jerry gushed about Rhule.
2. Jerry said he’s in no hurry to make a coaching move.
3. Rhule said he’s going to Mexico after the Sugar Bowl.
4. The Giants are reportedly worried that they might lose Rhule to Dallas, which is a weird thing to be worried about unless they know something we don’t.

It seems like there’s some smoke here. You can’t connect the same dots with Riley, Meyer, or anyone else. Riley knows Stephen, and Meyer made a comment on TV once. Okay.

I don’t get the impression that they’re interested in any other college coaches or any NFL coaches who are currently available. Maybe there’s a coordinator for a playoff team that they’re interested in, but if not, I’d bet it’s Rhule.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
This guy got me here.

“Run pass option has been my deal with the devil,” he said. “We won a couple games, but it wasn’t played the way I wanted it to be played. I want the game to look a certain way, with a certain brand. Run pass option has been a bridge for me a way to win. We want to be tough. We believe in full gear, weightlifting, the Oklahoma drill. All the people tell us to be careful about doing, I believe that’s exactly what we need to do. To come to grips with the RPO game, Rhule needed to know why. He’s a big believer in the concept. “The No. 1 question I ask is why. The difference between great coaches and average coaches is great coaches can elitely and clearly tell you why,” he said. “To be a great coach, you have to answer why. If you know the why, it will guide the what and how.”
That said, why Rhule embraced the RPO game was because of the following reasons:

• To protect the run game
  • To exploit the defense (more on this later*)
  • To put defenders in conflict
  • To spread the ball around
  • To negate defensive pursuit
“Good offenses have eight to 10 guys touch the ball a game,”he said. “If you want to run for 200 yards a game and you hand the ball to your tailback as your primary means of running the ball, you better have an All-State tailback.” An ideal Baylor game will see 100 rushing yards from the running back position, 50 from the quarterback and 50 from the wide receivers. The Texas Bowl win over Vanderbilt saw three Bears run for between 50 and 109 yards.

https://footballscoop.com/news/matt-rhule-came-grips-rpo-game-smash-mouth-coach/

Common Sense

Reaction score
Am I being punked?

People are actually getting excited about a college coach whose greatest achievement is that he led Temple to two consecutive 10-win seasons?

You guys, stop. This ain't funny.

I mean, for context, the other names currently connected to the job are Dan Campbell and Jason Witten.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Am I being punked?

People are actually getting excited about a college coach whose greatest achievement is that he led Temple to two consecutive 10-win seasons?

I know. It’s scary. Rhule is a good coach. A massive improvement over the fraud of the last 10 years. Shouldn’t they be aiming higher? It has to be Meyer.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I mean, for context, the other names currently connected to the job are Dan Campbell and Jason Witten.

Um. Now c'mon. "Connected"... by who that you think actually knows anything? We had this same kinda thing going a year ago when the OC job first opened up. We know how these things play out.

aria

Reaction score
Am I being punked?

I still never understood the David Shaw craze, what exactly did he do? What about Riley? Inherited a deep recruiting pipeline and a loaded roster from day one, thanks to Bob Stoops. Now he puts up big numbers in the weakest defensive conference in the league and almost lost to several scrub teams this year.

At least Rhule has a bit of NFL coaching experience and took a 1 win team and turned it into a team that almost beat Riley’s precious Sooners a year later in the Big 12 Championship and that was using a 3rd or 4th string QB much of the game. His play calling and his back up QB’s are what almost toppled Riley’s “dream team” compared to what Baylor had.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Am I being punked?

How many games do you think Boy Garrett would win at Temple? No matter how little you think of his accomplishments, you have to admit he would be an upgrade over Genius Garrett.

He is also winning at Baylor the past two years.

bewp7

Reaction score
Am I being punked?

the job he has done at baylor is masterful. that program was gutted and in the trash after art briles and that whole situation and he has them playing in the sugar bowl in his third year.

RoboQB

Reaction score

... Lincoln Riley, Urban Meyer, Ron Rivera, Mike McCarthy are names that have also been mentioned.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Um. One gets the impression that maybe some people haven't hired other people before.... I say that because... when you're hiring someone new after letting someone go... it's a given that you're hoping to do better... so, comparisons to the previous guy??? Really?

No. When you're hiring a new guy, you compare him to the other options. And this guy doesn't really compare to hardly anyone whose name has cropped up. He's barely even made a name for himself at the pro level.

Really. I'm sure some of you are Big XII fans, but stop it already. This guy needs several much more successful years before he's proven enough to be in the running for the most prestigious football coaching position in the US.

Common Sense

Reaction score
... Lincoln Riley, Urban Meyer, Ron Rivera, Mike McCarthy are names that have also been mentioned.

Rivera and McCarthy have only been mentioned by fans, as far as I know. Slater or someone mentioned McDaniels once, but that seems weird to me. Meyer made a comment on TV and Stephen called him afterwards, but I don’t think there’s any smoke beyond that. It seems like such an obviously bad fit, as in obvious to everyone involved. Riley is Stephen’s buddy or something, but again, Jerry seems more enamored with Rhule.