It is National Margarita Say

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Get blasted and have fun CouchCoach post your best recopies oops typo should be day not say

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As if we need one special day but I feel it is my responsibility as an American to celebrate the national cocktail of our neighbors to the south. Some do not realize that they are also responsible for the creation of the Martini and Caesar Salad, two more reasons to celebrate.

First off, if you are not a lady of the female persuasion, the Frozen Margarita is verboten, as are all frozen libations, drinks with straws or umbrellas. This is not debatable or even up for discussion. Hairy knuckles reaching for a cocktail with an umbrella in it is revolting.

Now, about Margarita mixes, there really aren't any that can equal the scratch made to your own taste and most have far too much sugar, not good for you. And that "to your own taste" is the real key to the perfect Margarita. The right balance is the key and that's all about your taste.

There have also been a lot of different salts created that will effect the taste of your Margarita and some have additives that are not good for you and I want your Margarita to be good for you. I have experimented with different sales and this has led me to some conclusions, one of which is to experiment at home and preferably in a room I am very familiar with. But here is the result of my finding, the salt of choice is Maldon Sea Salt as it is flaky, has a little crunch and doesn't carry an after taste.

Now, let's talk about one of the key components, ice. Cubes are great for the shaker but there is only one ice for your actual cocktail, Sonic Ice. You can buy it by the bag at some Sonic's but I prefer the Route 44, get it home quickly, put it in a gallon freezer Ziploc and get it into the freezer. Set a timer for 15 minutes, take the bag out and gently slam it down on the counter to put it back into little bitty cubes and do this 3 more times, at 15 minute intervals, and the cubes will stay itty bitty cubes in your freezer. This is the preferred ice for Moscow Mules and Mint Juleps as well.

Now, about the cocktail itself. I use Padron silver but you can use whatever you like. I cannot drink gold tequila, really funks my head out and I get depressed immediately. One that is required, Cointreau not triple sec.

My basic Margarita is:

3 ozs Tequila
1 oz Cointreau
1 oz fresh lime juice, key limes are good as well as is Meyer lemon juice if you want a different vibe
1 tsp Light Agave Nectar

Now, remember that "to your own taste" up above? Well, if you'd read the damned post and not skipped to the recipe, you would remember it. This is where you can take your Margarita in different directions, dependent on not only your taste but what you will be dining on. Spicy food like salsa, I add a tsp of Grand Marnier. Non spicy food, I add a tsp of pickled jalapeno juice. This jalapeno juice one has become my standard and that little kick in the back of my throat is just what the doctor ordered. If he ordered me to drink more margarita to quench the fire and if he didn't, I sought a second opinion.

If you've read this far, you are one bored individual and might I suggest a hobby? But if you are still here, I say "salud" to you, mi amigo's and Happy Margarita Day to you!

jsb357

Reaction score
as long as it's not that bottled pre-mix crap...

back in the day it was

1 1/4oz Tequila
3/4oz triple-sec
1/2oz roses lime juice
1 1/2oz barkleys S&S mix

over ice, up, or frozen...

Only bourbon & coke and Miller Lite sold more...

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
as long as it's not that bottled pre-mix crap...

back in the day it was

1 1/4oz Tequila
3/4oz triple-sec
1/2oz roses lime juice
1 1/2oz barkleys S&S mix

over ice, up, or frozen...

Only bourbon & coke and Miller Lite sold more...
I use the Rose's sometimes when limes are too bitter and dump the Agave.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
First off, if you are not a lady of the female persuasion, the Frozen Margarita is verboten, as are all frozen libations, drinks with straws or umbrellas. This is not debatable or even up for discussion. Hairy knuckles reaching for a cocktail with an umbrella in it is revolting.

Jimmy Buffet would disagree, and he sir, not you, is the final authority in margarita and margarita related matters. Tough I will say your recipe is the same as my own.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jimmy Buffet would disagree, and he sir, not you, is the final authority in margarita and margarita related matters. Tough I will say your recipe is the same as my own.
Since he didn't create it, he cannot be the authority and his song tops my list of most over played and annoying song of the past 100 years.

I reiterate, no man should drink a frozen cocktail or one with a straw. If he does, he is no man of mine.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Since he didn't create it, he cannot be the authority and his song tops my list of most over played and annoying song of the past 100 years.

I reiterate, no man should drink a frozen cocktail or one with a straw. If he does, he is no man of mine.
And I'm sure he's very disappointed.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

Yet you prefer sonic ice which practically makes it frozen. You should prefer cubes if you're going to be assign masculinity to the size frozen water. XD

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet you prefer sonic ice which practically makes it frozen. You should prefer cubes if you're going to be assign masculinity to the size frozen water. XD
Nay, nay you blue jeaned bird, it is not the size of the cubes but they must be cubes. If you try Sonic Ice in your marg, mojita, mule or julep and don't agree that perfects it, you will be the first as everyone I've turned onto that is solidly sold. And you are much less likely to get brain freeze.