It Just Feels Like There's Too Many Holes

McMicah

Reaction score
Man I wish one player from this past draft class had been a ray of sunshine. Honestly the more I think about this team the worse it feels.

I see 11 positions that are either holes or degrading. I see 10 positions with little expected change, and I see only 5 positions where I expect improvement from 2023. Breakdown shown below.

I don’t know how we get better in 11 spots with so few picks and no $

I feel like we have the following holes or below average positions:
LT
C
LB
WR3
RB
CB2

On top of that, here are positions I feel are getting worse next year
RG - Age
RT - Steele just….
WR2 - Age
LE - Age
FS - Age

Here are the positions I don’t expect to change
P
K
QB
LG
WR1
TE1
SS
CB3 (Bland)
3T
RE

Here are the positions I think will have growth next year. Short list….
FB
1T
TE2
CB1 (injury return)
LB2 (injury return)

Gambit

Reaction score
LT
C
LB
WR3
RB
CB2
LT if Tyron returns is okay, it's swing T that we need upgrade. I'm personally out on Ball and Waletzko.

C yes we need an upgrade and that could be found in FA or draft.

LB I think you will see addressed in both FA and draft, especially if LVE is fine (and he should be)

WR3 Tolbert was taking snaps from Gallup, Brooks shows promise and there a gazillion WR in this draft who can help there

RB we will look in FA for I think. Henry should be fairly affordable, he's been working out in Dallas area. They addressed in last FA just wrong dude.

CB2 it's either 2 or slot but yes is a need to add talentm I have a pet cat if he's there in 5th, Stiggers (love his story and it turns out he has some skill)

RG - Age
RT - Steele just….
WR2 - Age
LE - Age
FS - Age
RG age yes, but he is still solid. Bass can replace him if need be not a position this fa or draft I'm worried about

RT draft is deep in T especially RT. Steele hopefully can get closer to normal after another off season on knee, but I agree needs upgrading.

WR2 is fine he's not lost a step, and again there are dudes who can help in draft

LE if you mean Lawrence he's showing no sings of age but yes with us possibly losing to edge players Darius Robinson sure sounds like a good Cowboy name lol

FS Juyneah Thomas

CB1 (injury return)
LB2 (injury return)
These guys likely won't be fully back until mid season or later so right to consider them CB is a sneaky need, I'm really hoping this is a FA fix

cnuball21

Reaction score
The positive is the major holes are lower value positions that are cheaper in FA…we could easily fill them with great players if the FO wants to.

We’ll see if they decide to be aggressive.

reddyuta

Reaction score
you cant fix everything.last year one LB injury made before the season made us so vulnerable.instead of drafting for need like in the last Draft we should stick to BPA and fill the remaining holes aggressively in FA instead of sitting on our hands like every year.

McMicah

Reaction score
you cant fix everything.last year one LB injury made before the season made us so vulnerable.instead of drafting for need like in the last Draft we should stick to BPA and fill the remaining holes aggressively in FA instead of sitting on our hands like every year.
That’s exactly my fear. If 1 LB hurt us that bad, I think we are far more vulnerable this year. Injuries will happen every year, but we seem so shallow this year

McMicah

Reaction score
LT if Tyron returns is okay, it's swing T that we need upgrade. I'm personally out on Ball and Waletzko.

I actually think Asim Richards is going to surprise people. He played extremely well as a LT in preseason against two starting edge rushers and was really good. He might be your swing. I still have no clue why they started Chuma over him.

C will be huge. Looks like JPJ is doing well in shrine but the arms still concern me. Also, I scream out loud when people keep saying ‘Maybe Hoffman can do it’. People aren’t watching the tape. Hoffman ain’t it. I watched every snap of his this season and he was single-handedly responsible for causing a play to get blown up like 1/3 of his snaps. Dude gets blown backwards by JAG DTs

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score

It Just Feels Like There's Too Many Holes​

giphy.gif

Gambit

Reaction score
I actually think Asim Richards is going to surprise people. He played extremely well as a LT in preseason against two starting edge rushers and was really good. He might be your swing. I still have no clue why they started Chuma over him.

C will be huge. Looks like JPJ is doing well in shrine but the arms still concern me. Also, I scream out loud when people keep saying ‘Maybe Hoffman can do it’. People aren’t watching the tape. Hoffman ain’t it. I watched every snap of his this season and he was single-handedly responsible for causing a play to get blown up like 1/3 of his snaps. Dude gets blown backwards by JAG DTs
JPJ was a typo his arms are good 32 1/8

MikeT22

Reaction score
Drafting so poorly last year is gonna hurt us this year.
It's really bad when your top two picks are so underwhelming and 2/3's of your picks are inactive the majority of the season.

DanA

Reaction score
It depends on how "all in" we are.

If we redo Dak's contract, restructure the players we can, and put Lamb on a long-term contract we can be pretty active in free agency. And there aren't too many premium expensive positions to fill.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You know your draft class was bad (our 2023 draft) when you try to count rookie free agents as part of your draft class.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Man I wish one player from this past draft class had been a ray of sunshine. Honestly the more I think about this team the worse it feels.

I see 11 positions that are either holes or degrading. I see 10 positions with little expected change, and I see only 5 positions where I expect improvement from 2023. Breakdown shown below.

I don’t know how we get better in 11 spots with so few picks and no $

LT
C
LB
WR3
RB
CB2

RG - Age
RT - Steele just….
WR2 - Age
LE - Age
FS - Age

Here are the positions I don’t expect to change
P
K
QB
LG
WR1
TE1
SS
CB3 (Bland)
3T
RE

Here are the positions I think will have growth next year. Short list….
FB
1T
TE2
CB1 (injury return)
LB2 (injury return)
its amazing how 6 months will change your mind on the holes on the team. 6 months ago i was like man we dont need anything we have so much depth we need to start trading pics to get 1 or 2 guys. now im like CRAP we need more draft picks we have SO MANY HOLES TO FILL!!!!!!

McMicah

Reaction score
its amazing how 6 months will change your mind on the holes on the team. 6 months ago i was like man we dont need anything we have so much depth we need to start trading pics to get 1 or 2 guys. now im like CRAP we need more draft picks we have SO MANY HOLES TO FILL!!!!!!
Same! I’d feel a lot better if a couple draft picks had worked out. I think the math says you ideally need 3 picks (2 starters, 1 role player) to work out each year to field a consistently good team. I still have faith that somebody will show up from that class

Carson

Reaction score
Honestly I think Center is the primary Offensive concern and LB the primary Defensive concern

after that improve DT and RB
Exactly.

Draft JPJ and Peyton Wilson/Jeremiah Trotter 1-2.

Sign Grover Stewart and D’Andre Swift/Gus Edwards type.

Done

youngjerryjones

Reaction score

LB I think you will see addressed in both FA and draft, especially if LVE is fine (and he should be)

WR3 Tolbert was taking snaps from Gallup, Brooks shows promise and there a gazillion WR in this draft who can help there

RB we will look in FA for I think. Henry should be fairly affordable, he's been working out in Dallas area. They addressed in last FA just wrong dude.

CB2 it's either 2 or slot but yes is a need to add talentm I have a pet cat if he's there in 5th, Stiggers (love his story and it turns out he has some skill)

RG age yes, but he is still solid. Bass can replace him if need be not a position this fa or draft I'm worried about

RT draft is deep in T especially RT. Steele hopefully can get closer to normal after another off season on knee, but I agree needs upgrading.

WR2 is fine he's not lost a step, and again there are dudes who can help in draft

LE if you mean Lawrence he's showing no sings of age but yes with us possibly losing to edge players Darius Robinson sure sounds like a good Cowboy name lol

FS Juyneah Thomas

These guys likely won't be fully back until mid season or later so right to consider them CB is a sneaky need, I'm really hoping this is a FA fix
Man this one comment just stuck out to me…why do we pay and play players like LVE who are constantly unavailable. We are always trying to recreate the flash in the pan season (Dak) (LVE) overpay and get burned on injuries