It seems pretty obvious that this is a run it back situation

Big_D

Reaction score
This is simply not a very smart front office. “We like our guys” has killed this team. It’s not run like a normal operation and the decisions are too ridiculous at times. Sure every team has hits and misses, but this one consistently chooses to shoot itself in the foot. What’s happening this year is really just a continuation of the usual.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I think Jerry really has a soft spot for his coaches, as well as players. Pretty obvious Garrett wasn't the answer at head coach, yet Jerry kept him until his contract ran out. Maybe he felt that he made a mistake letting Gailey go early despite some success with him and doesn't want to repeat that.
But really, I think he's sort of like me, old school, if you sign a contract, you honor it, regardless of which side of the contract you're on....
No, he just doesn’t want to pay someone who is no longer here. It’s all about business and money.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is simply not a very smart front office. “We like our guys” has killed this team. It’s not run like a normal operation and the decisions are too ridiculous at times. Sure every team has hits and misses, but this one consistently chooses to shoot itself in the foot. What’s happening this year is really just a continuation of the usual.
We like our guys ... came from Garrett.
Was it more him that did not want the changes and not so much the FO. Other than not spending top $$$ on FA's.

Since MM came in there has been a huge turnover for the better since Garrett. Just that the FO still will not actually go ... all in ... with top FA's.
Rather they get the 1 year prove it deals. That really never work out. Malik Hooker has been solid and that is about it.

Big_D

Reaction score
We like our guys ... came from Garrett.
Was it more him that did not want the changes and not so much the FO. Other than not spending top $$$ on FA's.

Since MM came in there has been a huge turnover for the better since Garrett. Just that the FO still will not actually go ... all in ... with top FA's.
Rather they get the 1 year prove it deals. That really never work out. Malik Hooker has been solid and that is about it.
They’ve done a slightly better job in FA under McCarthy. But it was so bad before, you can’t even get a real measurement. I believe they are still the #1 team by a pretty large margin when it comes to re-signing their own free agents. Fools gold every year. Like somehow 31 other teams can’t possibly have a better option?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry would never intentionally blow things up. He prefers to keep it competitive as it allows him to more easily sell hope/hype.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Write it on the blackboard 100 times...

Jerry hates paying coaches not to coach for him. To a fault.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Despite Jerry's claims of accountability and responsibility and how we are going to be "all in" in 2024, he's basically told us they are running it back. They fired zero coaches. Zero. After whining and complaining that people need to be held accountable for an embarrassing home playoff loss, Jerry fired no one. He only has a new DC because that guy got a better job.

It also seems obvious not much is going to change in FA. Yeah, Jerry was spewing "all in" weeks ago but recent comments and actions tell you it's going to be the same old roster building exercise. Oh sure, they may add some LBs because Zimmer wants some better LBs but don't look at the top guys and don't look at the mid-level guys, look for the cheap guys. That's who we are getting.

We all like to rip on Jerry but reality is he's built a team that clearly has a core in place that could contend IF they made smart moves in the offseason.
On an all in bet you do not throw out your previous bets. Running it back and all in are not mutually exclusive.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Despite Jerry's claims of accountability and responsibility and how we are going to be "all in" in 2024, he's basically told us they are running it back. They fired zero coaches. Zero. After whining and complaining that people need to be held accountable for an embarrassing home playoff loss, Jerry fired no one. He only has a new DC because that guy got a better job.

It also seems obvious not much is going to change in FA. Yeah, Jerry was spewing "all in" weeks ago but recent comments and actions tell you it's going to be the same old roster building exercise. Oh sure, they may add some LBs because Zimmer wants some better LBs but don't look at the top guys and don't look at the mid-level guys, look for the cheap guys. That's who we are getting.

We all like to rip on Jerry but reality is he's built a team that clearly has a core in place that could contend IF they made smart moves in the offseason.
Now that McCarthy is staying, what coaches do we think are important to fire?

It seemed to me Quinn was most on the hot seat after some of the defensive collapses against good teams. Sure, he left on his own before we saw if Jerry would extend him or not, but if that was the biggest change that needed to be made, what difference does it make how it happened? No reason to just start firing other people simply for the sake of showing Jerry is willing to fire people.

As for getting players via trade or free agency, it may well end up the Cowboys don't do much more than they have been doing, but I can wait until we see. No rush to complain - the opportunity will still be there if we don't like what they do.

Sydla

Reaction score
Now that McCarthy is staying, what coaches do we think are important to fire?

It seemed to me Quinn was most on the hot seat after some of the defensive collapses against good teams. Sure, he left on his own before we saw if Jerry would extend him or not, but if that was the biggest change that needed to be made, what difference does it make how it happened? No reason to just start firing other people simply for the sake of showing Jerry is willing to fire people.

As for getting players via trade or free agency, it may well end up the Cowboys don't do much more than they have been doing, but I can wait until we see. No rush to complain - the opportunity will still be there if we don't like what they do.
The OL coach should have been let go. Especially considering we are probably talking about an OL shake up if Tyron and Tyler are gone.

You can't whine about accountability like Jerry did and then literally do nothing. Well you can do that because that's the kind of silly stuff Jerry says/does.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The OL coach should have been let go. Especially considering we are probably talking about an OL shake up if Tyron and Tyler are gone.

You can't whine about accountability like Jerry did and then literally do nothing. Well you can do that because that's the kind of silly stuff Jerry says/does.
Do we really think changing the O-Line coach would be a key move? Why is Solari less capable of coaching whoever steps in at center & LT than someone else? Franky, it still sounds like you're saying Jerry should just fire coaches to show he will.

I'm personally happy to have a coaching change on the defensive side. I think Quinn's stubborn adherence to exactly the same approach no matter what the opposing offense was doing was a problem.

As for the player side, again, while it's certainly possible Jerry won't make many/any notable acquisitions, it's still premature to to start complaining about it. We haven't even reached the point teams can start talking to free agents yet.

Kingofholland

Reaction score

It does feel that way and other than Zimmer, filling a few spots with tier 3 free agents, re-signing some guys, and focusing on the draft most of the improvment has to come from player development and coaching. I started to think they may take a different approach, but the "all in" backtracking comments makes me think they won't be too active again.

However, free agency hasn't started yet so I'll reserve my judgement until we see what actually happens.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

The new league year has yet to start and there have been several coaching changes. Your problem is you are not getting what you want. You then unironically claim Jerry is whining. I like it.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
It all comes down to Dak's contract. If we don't extend him, then this isn't a run-it-back so much as a table clearing. If we do, then yes, 2024 will just be more of the same.

Brax

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for the accountability he spoke about following the FIRST playoff loss to SF.
He holistically reviewed all the facts and determined it was just one of those things.