It Wasn't the Dirty Dozen That Took the Cowboys to Super Bowl 10

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Dude, I hope you're right. When it comes to this kind of stuff I am a negative piece of floating garbage in the south river. I just can't help but to focus on the negative and ignore the positive. I remember being absolutely certain the Cowboys would win 4-6 games in 2014.
I was like you once. Being either a "glass half empty or half full" person is a choice.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Dallas hasn't been a contender since 07 and it's not changing soon. Maybe they can actually make changes but don't see it happening. Daks already had better teams than Romo and those teams are already gone for dak.
If Dak has already had teams better than Romo then why didn't you consider the Cowboys a contender in 2016?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
1975 while a landmark year you eloquently described bringing in new talent with Dirty Dozen which would help keep the Cowboys on top , the success of that season was really more about Roger Staubach carrying the team.

Roger took over a championship caliber team in 1971 that should have won the championship the previous season. And he made the most of it. As that team aged and begun to fade by 1974 since it had been largely built in early to mid 60’s many of them retired or on last leg.

1975 was a like new beginning . And #12 rose to the occasion . From that point on it was all his team.

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
In 1974 the cowboys went 8-6, missing the playoffs for the first time in 9 seasons. Analysts and pundits eagerly declared an end to the Cowboy dynasty. Most of the players from the late 60's and early 70's had retired. The ones left were extremely long in tooth.

The legend goes that the Cowboys rookie class of 75 was responsible for zero years of reconstruction, their combined contributions provided the boost that propelled the team from a rebuilding project to the Super Bowl in just one season.

It's a fun story and it was exciting to watch these rookies contribute something. However, their play did not dominate Cowboy opponents except for special teams and an occasional defensive takeaway.

In fact, of the 12, there was only one starter, that is, one rookie that started over half of the games. This was Guard Burton Lawless.

The offensive stars in that 1975 season included 30 year old Preston Pearson, a former Pittsburgh Steeler. Many believe he was waived by the Steelers because he was their outspoken player rep. Calvin Hill left the Cowboys to join the new league and Garrison retired after suffering a rodeo injury during the offseason so they signed Pearson.

Pearson and FB Robert Newhouse were a 1-2 punch at RB, combining for 1439 yards rushing in a 14 game season as well as over 600 yards in receptions.

The WR squad was led by two year veteran and former undrafted rookie Drew Pearson. During the previous season, 1974, Drew was 1st team All Pro.

The offensive line was anchored by 30 year old Rayfield Wright and 31 year old Ralph Neely.

The QB was future HOFer 33 year old Roger Staubach. he was the #1 ranked passer in two of his last four seasons.

The defensive line was anchored by 31 year old Jethro Pugh. The starting LBers were 36 year old Dave Edwards, 34 year old Lee Roy Jordan and 30 year old D.D. Lewis. The defensive line was impacted by young bookend DE's drafted the two previous seasons, Harvey Martin and Ed "Too Tall" Jones.

The secondary included HOFer 34 year old Mel Renfro. Waters and Harris, the safeties, were both 27.

It was the MLB Jordan who led the defense in INT's with 6. Renfro followed with 4.

Randy White, the #2 overall pick in the draft was given jersey #54 to honor Chuck Howley who had just retired and was expected to reach the HOF. Randy, who had played DT in college was being converted to MLB and backed up Jordan. That was a mistake the team soon rectified, but not in 1975.

The other 1st round pick LB Thomas (Hollywood) Henderson didn't become a starter until his 3rd season in 1977. However, he did provide some fireworks when he returned a kickoff 97 yards for a TD...a linebacker.

Bob Breunig, their 3rd round pick, became the eventual replacement for Lee Roy Jordan the following season.

Offensive linemen Pat Donovan and Herbert Scott became eventual starters on the next generation of the Cowboy dynasty, Donovan in 1977, Scott in 1976.

The 8th rounder, punter Mitch Hoopes did become their starter that season.

The 7th rounder LB Mike Hegman would eventually start after the Cowboys cut Hollywood Henderson after the '78 season.

Although 4th rounder DB Randy Hughes did not start a game in 1975 he did contribute two INT's and 2 fumble recoveries during the regular season.

The 14th round pick, FB Scott Laidlaw, had three carries for ten yards in 1975.

This draft regenerated a dynasty and played an integral part during the Cowboys next seven seasons in which they played in 5 conference championship games and 2 Super Bowls. That is what they should be remembered for. The credit for the Cowboy's "rebuilding" season of 1975 belongs to those veterans, although they would admit that the excitement generated by their rookies was an inspiration.

The playoffs that season was dominated by big plays led by veterans Preston Pearson, Roger Staubach, Drew Pearson, D.D. Lewis and Mel Renfro.

One group that is often forgotten but must be recognized for this special season is the coaches, particularly special teams coach Mike Ditka, offensive backfield coach Dan Reeves, and defensive backfield coach Gene Stallings.

.........which brings me to this season and the reason for this post......

I'm seeing posts about what this year's rookie crop is going to bring to the Cowboys.....this season. It's possible. There could be a player that can just come in and dominate but it is highly unlikely. It just takes some time for players to acclimate to the NFL. I see Parsons and perhaps a D-lineman making some contributions as pass rushers. The 2022 season should be entirely different.

If the Cowboys are to succeed this season, it must come from the expected source. I'm talking about young players in their 2nd to 4th seasons. In 1975, it was the play of young guys like Drew Pearson, Robert Newhouse, Harvey Martin, Too Tall Jones, and Golden Richards.

We all have some high expectations from Cee Dee Lamb and rightfully so. Lamb must meet most of the reasonable expectations.

Biadasz must be a steady and dependable addition to the offensive line. He doesn't have to be great, just steady. Williams must continue to improve.

The passing game with Dak and the three receivers must dominate. Jarwin must contribute in addition to Schultz's steady improvement. Zeke has to realize that this season will define him.

One of the young DT's Gallimore or Hill must emerge. This is critical. I believe we will see Gallimore break out.

The LB's will be Smith and LVE, like it or not. They will not start Parsons at LB unless they do it later in the season. He is going to find out that his athleticism isn't enough in this league where everybody is fast. He must learn the position. As long as there is improvement by the DT's, these veteran LB's should rebound.

The same goes for all the rookie DB's. Starting guys who played little more than a dozen college games isn't going to happen but expect great things on special teams.

Just like 1975, this draft class is going to be special. It will provide quality defensive starters for many seasons, just not this one.

Finally, the coaches must teach. They have to devise thoughtful game plans, make great game time decisions. They must earn the respect of their team.
Think you left out Golden Richards who was a big playmaker for Staubach Wasnt Jay SadiI part of that rookie group. Another big play guy for the offense. Maybe not but he was another contributer.As I recall Randy White was moved from LBer to DT where he became All World. Not a rookie but a big change for us Landry finally made the right decision there with personnel. White was considered a failure till then.

Last edited:

morat1959

Reaction score
Nothing in his post has anything to do with this season or next season. You and Rocky keep convincing yourselves that it's still the good old days, while an old oil man and his son play fantasy football with the Dallas Cowboys.

I believe this season will just be another of 25 years, and counting, of frustration. If only Booger & Son could channel the wisdom of Landry and Schramm.
Nailed it!

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
1975 while a landmark year you eloquently described bringing in new talent with Dirty Dozen which would help keep the Cowboys on top , the success of that season was really more about Roger Staubach carrying the team.

Roger took over a championship caliber team in 1971 that should have won the championship the previous season. And he made the most of it. As that team aged and begun to fade by 1974 since it had been largely built in early to mid 60’s many of them retired or on last leg.

1975 was a like new beginning . And #12 rose to the occasion . From that point on it was all his team.
Pat Summerall and Verne Lindquist took us to that SB. Couple of gifted announcers in their day. Today we have to hear Car Sheild Boy talk. Yuck.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Dak has already had better teams than Tony Romo? What criteria are you going by, team stats and rankings? I'm not saying Dak had better teams but if he did I would suggest that the greatest difference between those teams was their quarterback.

I'm not saying Dak is better than Romo but I am saying he was better than 75% Romo, 25% Romo's backup.

Better teams?

Romo had three perennial Pro Bowlers on his offensive line just like Dak had. Romo had Gurode, Adams, and Davis. Another great veteran was Marc Colombo.

Sure, Dak has some great receivers now. However, You can't snub your nose at TO, Miles Austin, and pre-Contract Dez. Romo had weapons.

Where is Dak's dependable All Pro, future HOFer at TE. Where is his Jason Witten? Would that be Dalton Schultz or the feeble over-the.hill version of Witten?

Which RB set the all time Cowboys record in rushing yards for a season?

Defense? The Pro Bowl studded defensive draft of 2005 is what we are hoping this year's draft will be like in the future but they haven't played a single down on a team quarterbacked by Dak. That 2005 draft class, however....

Dak had a defense that was top ten in yardage for three consecutive seasons, 2017 through 2019. Ditto for Romo, 2007 through 2009.

The Cowboys went 13-3 in 2007. In all, 12 Cowboys were Pro Bowl selections that season and 3 of them were 1st team All Pro. What team did Dak have that was better than that?

Dak had elite oline and rb 16-17-18-19. top 10 to 14 defenses all those years too except 16. The 2007 team was good..the rb was below average but still a good team. Thats the last year I thought dallas was a contender. Romo had below average rbs besides 14.

Romo for sure had some good recivers but also made some of them. Most years his defenses olines and rbs were all below average. He had some good olines in 07 08 09 but wouldn't say elite more like top 13 or so.

People always blame the defense but the offense has costed quite a few games over tha last few years by not showing up in the 1st half.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
Dak had elite oline and rb 16-17-18-19. top 10 to 14 defenses all those years too except 16. The 2007 team was good..the rb was below average but still a good team. Thats the last year I thought dallas was a contender. Romo had below average rbs besides 14.

Romo for sure had some good recivers but also made some of them. Most years his defenses olines and rbs were all below average. He had some good olines in 07 08 09 but wouldn't say elite more like top 13 or so.

People always blame the defense but the offense has costed quite a few games over tha last few years by not showing up in the 1st half.
In 2007 one of your "below average" RB's made the Pro Bowl. By your standards, there should have been at least 16 more RB's that season that was better, being that there are 32 starting RB's on the 32 teams. Name them. Since the Pro Bowl voting consists of one third coaches and one third actual players you can also tell me how those who actually participate in the game know so little about their profession.

During the first five seasons of Romo starting, from 2006 to 2010, no team had more Pro Bowl selections on the offensive line than the Dallas Cowboys, they had 11. What a coincidence! That's the exact number of Pro Bowl selections Dak's offensive line has had during his first 5 years as a starter. You called that elite, very well, Romo's offensive line was elite.

The last time the Cowboys were a contender was 2007? In 2009 the Cowboys went to the playoffs after shutting out their last two opponents. I'm talking about the defense with 4 Pro Bowlers, two of them 1st team All Pro. They won their first playoff game while their "below average" RB had 16 carries for 148 yards. Offensively, Romo was obviously handicapped due to having only 4 other Pro Bowlers including a WR and a TE, both eventual Hall of Famers, poor guy.

in Dak's first playoff game, the rookie quarterback brought his team back from an 18 point deficit to tie with 35 seconds left. However, we all know what happened to his "superior" defense. That defense was so unreliable that their best defensive strategy was to run the ball and consume time so they didn't have to be on the field.

What receivers did Romo "make"? Did he train them, show them how to catch? The ball just slid right into their hands, is that it?

The one time Romo led the league in passer rating, another "below average" RB broke the Cowboys single season rushing record and led the league, making 1st team All Pro. Did he also make the RB?

Below average WR's? No.
Below average offensive lines? No.
Below average RB's. No
Below average defenses? No.

For over three years Romo sat protected and taught by two of the greatest football minds in history, Bill Parcells and Sean Payton. He didn't even participate in a single game his rookie year which is why you won't find statistics for that year under his name. He didn't step on that field as a quarterback until his fourth season when that team was built with a "below average" 1000 yard RB, two former Pro Bowl receivers who both had 1000 yard seasons, a future HOF TE in his prime, and an offensive line that featured perennial Pro Bowlers.

Meanwhile Dak gets thrown into the starting position as a rookie in the opening game and sets new records for rookie passer rating, completion percentage and number of attempts before his first INT. All of this one the way to an 11 game winning streak. Again, Romo stayed home his first season so does it even matter who had the best team at least during their first three seasons?

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
In 2007 one of your "below average" RB's made the Pro Bowl. By your standards, there should have been at least 16 more RB's that season that was better, being that there are 32 starting RB's on the 32 teams. Name them. Since the Pro Bowl voting consists of one third coaches and one third actual players you can also tell me how those who actually participate in the game know so little about their profession.

During the first five seasons of Romo starting, from 2006 to 2010, no team had more Pro Bowl selections on the offensive line than the Dallas Cowboys, they had 11. What a coincidence! That's the exact number of Pro Bowl selections Dak's offensive line has had during his first 5 years as a starter. You called that elite, very well, Romo's offensive line was elite.

The last time the Cowboys were a contender was 2007? In 2009 the Cowboys went to the playoffs after shutting out their last two opponents. I'm talking about the defense with 4 Pro Bowlers, two of them 1st team All Pro. They won their first playoff game while their "below average" RB had 16 carries for 148 yards. Offensively, Romo was obviously handicapped due to having only 4 other Pro Bowlers including a WR and a TE, both eventual Hall of Famers, poor guy.

in Dak's first playoff game, the rookie quarterback brought his team back from an 18 point deficit to tie with 35 seconds left. However, we all know what happened to his "superior" defense. That defense was so unreliable that their best defensive strategy was to run the ball and consume time so they didn't have to be on the field.

What receivers did Romo "make"? Did he train them, show them how to catch? The ball just slid right into their hands, is that it?

The one time Romo led the league in passer rating, another "below average" RB broke the Cowboys single season rushing record and led the league, making 1st team All Pro. Did he also make the RB?

Below average WR's? No.
Below average RB's. No

For over three years Romo sat protected and taught by two of the greatest football minds in history, Bill Parcells and Sean Payton. He didn't even participate in a single game his rookie year which is why you won't find statistics for that year under his name. He didn't step on that field as a quarterback until his fourth season when that team was built with a "below average" 1000 yard RB, two former Pro Bowl receivers who both had 1000 yard seasons, a future HOF TE in his prime, and an offensive line that featured perennial Pro Bowlers.

Meanwhile Dak gets thrown into the starting position as a rookie in the opening game and sets new records for rookie passer rating, completion percentage and number of attempts before his first INT. All of this one the way to an 11 game winning streak. Again, Romo stayed home his first season so does it even matter who had the best team at least during their first three seasons?

You can't go just off pro bowl. Jaylon made the pro bowl lol. Those early lines were good at rb but not pass protection they were around top 10-13 olines. All other olines were below average beside 1. All the rbs were below average besides Murray. They usually ranked about high teens low 20s. His defenses were good in 07 08 09 other than that all bow average.

Pretty sure that deficate was because the offense didn't show up in the 1st half vs gb but I might be wrong

StarBoyz83

Reaction score

Below average WR's? No.
Below average RB's. No

Was wrong about 2007-08 rbs together they were probably top 8. The olines from 2006-2010 were about top 12-14ish.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
Was wrong about 2007-08 rbs together they were probably top 8. The olines from 2006-2010 were about top 12-14ish.
The argument I'm making is that the other components of that team besides Romo wasn't "below aveage", your specific description.

Sure, there were times in both periods where there was less productivity. They both experienced bad seasons, they both experienced some great.....regular seasons.

I just can't agree with any assessment that Romo had a tougher time than Dak when Romo had the opportunity to be "groomed" for three years sitting and Dak was thrown right into the fire at the start of the season and ended that season as a record breaking rookie of the year.

Besides, the story isn't over.

Tony Romo was in the NFL for 14 years. Dak has been in 5. Therefore, this may end up with you being absolutely right, nobody can argue it. Perhaps Dak does end up with a lot more help than Tony. I think I'll be fine with that. That would be a great future 9 years.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
In 1974 the cowboys went 8-6, missing the playoffs for the first time in 9 seasons. Analysts and pundits eagerly declared an end to the Cowboy dynasty. Most of the players from the late 60's and early 70's had retired. The ones left were extremely long in tooth.

The legend goes that the Cowboys rookie class of 75 was responsible for zero years of reconstruction, their combined contributions provided the boost that propelled the team from a rebuilding project to the Super Bowl in just one season.

It's a fun story and it was exciting to watch these rookies contribute something. However, their play did not dominate Cowboy opponents except for special teams and an occasional defensive takeaway.

I dont want to get into semantics. You chose the word "dominate" I'm not sure anyone ever said they "dominated" But it was way more than just helping on special teams. Particularly Pat Donovan and Herbert Scott. They contributed immediately. If I am not mistaken they were both starters. They were key to the success of the 75 season.