It will always be about guaranteed money

Blitzen

Reaction score
In terms of the contract for the current starting QB- all of us should know by now that $55M, 60M, whatever is basically inconsequential without knowing the guaranteed money and total number of actual years (not including the voidable years).

Lots of factors come into play for these QBs salaries. In my opinion, the biggest factors in their negotiations is salary precedence and job insecurity for most front office leadership. The GM and other front office positions are given maybe 3 seasons to show major improvement that their predecessor could not. This combined with a tiny number of actual elite QBs is why QBs get way over-drafted, over-payed, and over-planned around.

If there is even small amounts of success from the QB position (let’s say making the playoffs for the first time in awhile and actually winning a game), the QB hype marketing train is immense in this league. Jersey sales go through the roof and the player gets talked about on the national stage more. The marketing machine is attempting to drive narratives to hopefully drive ratings and eventual money making.

You can typically see what the market was like for a free agent QB by just looking at guaranteed money vs number of years. See Kirk Cousins $100 million over 4 seasons, Derek Carr $70 million (max-10 of which is a vesting option in year 3), Baker Mayfield $50 million over 3 seasons. For those of you that think the QB market for a new franchise QB means paying more than the previous highest earner got-it’s BS marketing material. Guys get signed based on how much the club feels the person is worth to the franchise (money wise and onfield production-for most clubs on-field production is heavily tied to a large chunk of their money making). The starting QB in Dallas makes the club more money (relative to other franchises) by virtue of simply being the starting QB in Dallas-so his on-field production is not as important to making money in Dallas. Most guys are worth more to the franchise they are currently working at than at a brand new destination-which is why they typically do not hit free agency. That’s what makes the Dallas QB decision unique-the club can put many individuals into the starting spot and still make enormous amounts of cash from a large segment of the fan base. This decision now comes down to comfort or attempting to actually improve the position and planning for future seasons. They have chosen comfort for so long that I’m surprised they did not just extend the current starting QB and move on about their business.

John813

Reaction score
It probably just comes down to the Front office not wanting to deal with his deal/France right now.

Think around training camp is when they'll start to put effort into contract talks, unless someone blinks first.

Blitzen

Reaction score
It probably just comes down to the Front office not wanting to deal with his deal/France right now.

Think around training camp is when they'll start to put effort into contract talks, unless someone blinks first.

They did not wait till August on his second contract. They were willing to let him play on the tag in 2020-watch the team have a disastrous few games with him and then the defense become the worst unit in the game. Then temporarily tag him and extend him in March of 2021 because what else are they planning to do with their brand new coaching staff? Quinn comes in and completely overhauled the defense and they definitely had streaks of dominance and even dominated an elite SF offense in the playoffs. The contract numbers that the QB would take now, will not significantly change in 4 months-and the front office knows it. They must actually have reservations to tying themselves to him again.

John813

Reaction score
They did not wait till August on his second contract. They were willing to let him play on the tag in 2020-watch the team have a disastrous few games with him and then the defense become the worst unit in the game. Then temporarily tag him and extend him in March of 2021 because what else are they planning to do with their brand new coaching staff? Quinn comes in and completely overhauled the defense and they definitely had streaks of dominance and even dominated an elite SF offense in the playoffs. The contract numbers that the QB would take now, will not significantly change in 4 months-and the front office knows it. They must actually have reservations to tying themselves to him again.
I don't think the entire front office is 100% on re-signing him.
To me, they are willing to wait, talk numbers and re-sign him if he falls within the target range they are willing to give in guarantees/term when training camp is about to start.
If they want 5 years and France wants 3, I could see an impasse that could see him leave next year, unless he shows up big time and "wills" the team in the postseason for some victories, and they give France a blank check

I'd assume the younger guys like CDL and Micah there's probably more internal agreement to re-sign them.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I don't think the entire front office is 100% on re-signing him.
To me, they are willing to wait, talk numbers and re-sign him if he falls within the target range they are willing to give in guarantees/term when training camp is about to start.
If they want 5 years and France wants 3, I could see an impasse that could see him leave next year, unless he shows up big time and "wills" the team in the postseason for some victories, and they give France a blank check

I'd assume the younger guys like CDL and Micah there's probably more internal agreement to re-sign them.
Alex,

I will take things that will never happen for $800

John813

Reaction score
Alex,

I will take things that will never happen for $800

I'm not counting on it either. Just think he needs to do something insane in the playoffs to get an extension if they don't agree to one this offseason.

At this point, I don't care either way what happens with Dak. Keep? cool. Walk? Cooler.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
In terms of the contract for the current starting QB- all of us should know by now that $55M, 60M, whatever is basically inconsequential without knowing the guaranteed money and total number of actual years (not including the voidable years).

Lots of factors come into play for these QBs salaries. In my opinion, the biggest factors in their negotiations is salary precedence and job insecurity for most front office leadership. The GM and other front office positions are given maybe 3 seasons to show major improvement that their predecessor could not. This combined with a tiny number of actual elite QBs is why QBs get way over-drafted, over-payed, and over-planned around.

If there is even small amounts of success from the QB position (let’s say making the playoffs for the first time in awhile and actually winning a game), the QB hype marketing train is immense in this league. Jersey sales go through the roof and the player gets talked about on the national stage more. The marketing machine is attempting to drive narratives to hopefully drive ratings and eventual money making.

You can typically see what the market was like for a free agent QB by just looking at guaranteed money vs number of years. See Kirk Cousins $100 million over 4 seasons, Derek Carr $70 million (max-10 of which is a vesting option in year 3), Baker Mayfield $50 million over 3 seasons. For those of you that think the QB market for a new franchise QB means paying more than the previous highest earner got-it’s BS marketing material. Guys get signed based on how much the club feels the person is worth to the franchise (money wise and onfield production-for most clubs on-field production is heavily tied to a large chunk of their money making). The starting QB in Dallas makes the club more money (relative to other franchises) by virtue of simply being the starting QB in Dallas-so his on-field production is not as important to making money in Dallas. Most guys are worth more to the franchise they are currently working at than at a brand new destination-which is why they typically do not hit free agency. That’s what makes the Dallas QB decision unique-the club can put many individuals into the starting spot and still make enormous amounts of cash from a large segment of the fan base. This decision now comes down to comfort or attempting to actually improve the position and planning for future seasons. They have chosen comfort for so long that I’m surprised they did not just extend the current starting QB and move on about their business.
So many of this front office's decisions seem to be based on comfort rather than the good of the team.
Example 9.5 years of Garrett.
This is one of the worse drawbacks of the Owner being the GM.
No accountability for results.

Blitzen

Reaction score
If anyone would like to look at guaranteed money rankings per player this link is pretty good. Very telling. That absurd Deshaun Watson contract, then everyone else. I think Pat has more guaranteed money now due to some restructuring, but pretty sure this is a fairly accurate list.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/guaranteed/

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

Yes all of that but you need to break down in numbers the guaranteed money for us that don't know about it

plymkr

Reaction score
They must actually have reservations to tying themselves to him again.
I agree. What I’m curious about is what are the reservations? Is it the playoff game? The off the field issues? Is it Jerry got boat raced in the last negotiation and is embarrassed? Or a combination of everything. I’m wondering if they’re waiting to see if anything materializes from the off the field issues and if Lance resembles a QB in training camp.

I do find it very odd that immediately after the season the FO was on board with extending Dak. That was priority #1. Something changed.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I agree. What I’m curious about is what are the reservations? Is it the playoff game? The off the field issues? Is it Jerry got boat raced in the last negotiation and is embarrassed? Or a combination of everything. I’m wondering if they’re waiting to see if anything materializes from the off the field issues and if Lance resembles a QB in training camp.

I do find it very odd that immediately after the season the FO was on board with extending Dak. That was priority #1. Something changed.

Did Jerry consult someone this off-season that might say one thing publicly, but say another in private? Someone not afraid of discomfort or risk taking in order to win on big decisions…

A way to keep business first, and the real decision kept secret for as long as possible. Someone is getting played, but I’m not sure it’s Jerry this time.

plymkr

Reaction score
Did Jerry consult someone this off-season that might say one thing publicly, but say another in private? Someone not afraid of discomfort or risk taking in order to win on big decisions…

A way to keep business first, and the real decision kept secret for as long as possible. Someone is getting played, but I’m not sure it’s Jerry this time.
I agree

Flamma

Reaction score

My guess is that he doesn't want to push 55M forward along with a huge extension. Get it out of the way and reconsider a new deal next offseason.

plymkr

Reaction score
My guess is that he doesn't want to push 55M forward along with a huge extension. Get it out of the way and reconsider a new deal next offseason.
I agree, I also think the off the field stuff is playing a part of it. Besides Cleveland, who wants to give 150 million bonus to a suspended quarterback.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
All Dak had to do was win playoff games.
If his contract was performance based he might actually try harder. Brock Purdy just got himself a decent performance based increase, and he absolutely earned it. Dak hasn't earned squat, not even his ridiculous base salary.

Flamma

Reaction score
If his contract was performance based he might actually try harder. Brock Purdy just got himself a decent performance based increase, and he absolutely earned it. Dak hasn't earned squat, not even his ridiculous base salary.
I don't think he's not trying, I just think he sometimes gets overwhelmed. Both in the playoffs and regular season big games. All a performance based bonus would do is pay for him to rack up stats from the Giants, washskins, Panthers, and garbage teams like that.