It will be telling if Witten and Lee make the final roster cut

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They brought Witten back to help him save face, cutting him isn't going to do that.

Lee is considered a player/coach for the front 7 when he's on the field. And they won't have 3 LB's on the field all of the time so he's a situational player.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Respect the past, mateys of the dreadnoughts and business lorries!
If we keep Lee and Written, artifacts of the past, it occupies 2 vital spots for future stars.
Sentimentality or shrewd personnel moves?
Think of it, chaps. Old boys.
The final cuts should CUT these two unless they retire.
Let us move on.
Sure that makes all the sense in the world, cutting your starting TE and starting SAM LB. NOT!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Exactly. I think they both stay for the season. Now, next season? Who knows.

Best blocking TE IF he gets to his route on time. Oh, can he catch, or does Dak only need Witten to block and block the sun for him?
And we actually need an LB roster spot to mentor Jaylon and LVE??? Seriously?
Those two All-Pro level LBs need a mentor????

You Witten-Lee lovers are scraping the bottom of the barrel for excuses to keep them.
Belichick, Reid or Nagy would have sent these guys packing 2 years ago.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
They brought Witten back to help him save face, cutting him isn't going to do that.

And THAT is the tragedy.

Keeping and bringing back players to tend their fragile psyches and not in the best interests of a younger, faster, cheaper and healthier team.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Best blocking TE IF he gets to his route on time. Oh, can he catch, or does Dak only need Witten to block and block the sun for him?
And we actually need an LB roster spot to mentor Jaylon and LVE??? Seriously?
Those two All-Pro level LBs need a mentor????

You Witten-Lee lovers are scraping the bottom of the barrel for excuses to keep them.
Belichick, Reid or Nagy would have sent these guys packing 2 years ago.

Look, that may be the case, but I don't have any control over what Garrett chooses to do with them. I think Jaylon and LVE will be fine on their own. But, I think that Lee brings a level of experience that helps the defence on the field. I think he's sort of the brains of the defence on the field. My issue with him is his injury history. As for Witten, I don't know of many Tight Ends or players as durable as he is. At his age, he is the best TE on the roster at the moment, not that that says much about our tight ends, but it is the case as I see it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Look, in Witten's case, if someone can come along on this roster and beat him out, then great. But I don't think any of our tight ends behind Witten are talented enough to beat him yet.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Look, that may be the case, but I don't have any control over what Garrett chooses to do with them. I think Jaylon and LVE will be fine on their own. But, I think that Lee brings a level of experience that helps the defence on the field. I think he's sort of the brains of the defence on the field. My issue with him is his injury history. As for Witten, I don't know of many Tight Ends or players as durable as he is. At his age, he is the best TE on the roster at the moment, not that that says much about our tight ends, but it is the case as I see it.
A glowing assessment!
A mighty blow for the goodness of the status quo!
O good words, yes!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
For the dim-witted out there: two players who might step up to the next level and are younger, faster, cheaper and less prone to injuries.

Well, I'd like to see if they can beat out Witten. Frankly, I don't think they have, nor will they. But, they can always surprise like Dak did. I think what will happen is we will use Witten up, and draft a true replacement next year. As for Lee, he'll probably be injured so there you may have a point. But, Garrett, in all likelihood, will keep him. Truth be told, I wouldn't be fussed by us moving Lee to LB coach. But, for Witten, we need to draft his replacement.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Well, I'd like to see if they can beat out Witten. Frankly, I don't think they have, nor will they. But, they can always surprise like Dak did. I think what will happen is we will use Witten up, and draft a true replacement next year. As for Lee, he'll probably be injured so there you may have a point. But, Garrett, in all likelihood, will keep him. Truth be told, I wouldn't be fussed by us moving Lee to LB coach. But, for Witten, we need to draft his replacement.
Why do you assume that Lee, out of hundreds of capable LBs out there can coach?
Is there a Dallas Cowboys template?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Why do you assume that Lee, out of hundreds of capable LBs out there can coach.
Is there a Dallas Cowboys template?

Because he is a clever chap, and, before Richard came along, I think he was more of the coach of the defence than Marinelli was. I think the team would agree that, of the players, he's the undisputed leader. His American Football intelligence is very high. It's really a pity he couldn't stay healthy because he's got such sharpness in his mind for the game. I think he'd become a wonderful defensive coordinator if promoted to such later.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Because he is a clever chap, and, before Richard came along, I think he was more of the coach of the defence than Marinelli was. I think the team would agree that, of the players, he's the undisputed leader. His American Football intelligence is very high. It's really a pity he couldn't stay healthy because he's got such sharpness in his mind for the game. I think he'd become a wonderful defensive coordinator if promoted to such later.

He's a fortunate son.
Go straight from playing to coaching. Asst. coaching at Billings College for 5 years, Montana U asst. Defensive coach for 3, followed by internships ---- NO!
Make him, immediately into an LB coach!
How exclusive of you! I can see how the old boy's network would work like.
Why?
Because he's one of us.
We like him.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He's a fortunate son.
Go straight from playing to coaching. Asst. coaching at Billings College for 5 years, Montana U asst. Defensive coach for 3, followed by internships ---- NO!
Make him, immediately into an LB coach!
How exclusive of you! I can see how the old boy's network would work like.
Why?
Because he's one of us.
We like him.

Sometimes good coaches do come in straight from playing. And just because a chap goes through that doesn't mean he'll be good. Lee has got the respect of the team, and I have no doubt about his mental aptitude for the game and the position in which he has become a Master at intellectually. He may have to start as an assistant, but my reckoning is that he'll go straight in as a LB coach.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Sometimes good coaches do come in straight from playing. And just because a chap goes through that doesn't mean he'll be good. Lee has got the respect of the team, and I have no doubt about his mental aptitude for the game and the position in which he has become a Master at intellectually. He may have to start as an assistant, but my reckoning is that he'll go straight in as a LB coach.
Wow.
Dont let the NFL hear you say that.
I bet if you had a team you never interview other coaches. Just the ones you like or deem intelligent.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Wow.
Dont let the NFL hear you say that.
I bet if you had a team you never interview other coaches. Just the ones you like or deem intelligent.

Didn't Moore, for example, just get a coaching job as a QB coach last season straight from playing? And now he's the OC here. So, did the Cowboys also not go through the proper channels in your view? Did the Cowboys also only see the Moore as intelligent as the only coach capable of the QB coach job followed by the OC?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Didn't Moore, for example, just get a coaching job as a QB coach last season straight from playing? And now he's the OC here. So, did the Cowboys also not go through the proper channels in your view? Did the Cowboys also only see the Moore as intelligent as the only coach capable of the QB coach job followed by the OC?

I guess Jerry saw Moore as such.
Moore and his trajectory are not common. Ask Garrett.
Its a meme here that any popular player who is white is coaching material. This, in a league that is 70% (or more) nonwhite.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I guess Jerry saw Moore as such.
Moore and his trajectory are not common. Ask Garrett.
Its a meme here that any popular player who is white is coaching material. This, in a league that is 70% (or more) nonwhite.

I couldn't care less about what the coach looks like as long as he can do the job. And sure, maybe Moore isn't common, but it still shows that Lee could become a Lb coach for us. Now, if he chooses to coach elsewhere, fine, but it's still not out of the question or nuts that he might be a capable LB Coach here.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I couldn't care less about what the coach looks like as long as he can do the job. And sure, maybe Moore isn't common, but it still shows that Lee could become a Lb coach for us. Now, if he chooses to coach elsewhere, fine, but it's still not out of the question or nuts that he might be a capable LB Coach here.
True that Lee could be a capable LB coach.
So could 3,000 other NFL and college assistants.