It's been over a month since the last takeaway

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
I can guarantee you the Bears defense forces at least 2 turnovers this game. I predict a pick six from Dak.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
No such thing as a good return game, just poor coverage and friendly refs.

In fairness, this special teams is 32nd by DVOA. Literally dead last across KR, PR, place kicking, kick coverages, etc. They're not only not helping the team (as the Patriots' has multiple times this year), they're very badly hurting the team.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
In fairness, this special teams is 32nd by DVOA. Literally dead last across KR, PR, place kicking, kick coverages, etc. They're not only not helping the team (as the Patriots' has multiple times this year), they're very badly hurting the team.
I mean...fine. But that's not what we're talking about.

There's no such thing as good return teams though. Dallas' ST problems - the kicking issues - would largely be solved if they stopped kicking 45-yard plus field goals on the first drive of the game, because it's colossally stupid.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
I mean...fine. But that's not what we're talking about.

There's no such thing as good return teams though. Dallas' ST problems - the kicking issues - would largely be solved if they stopped kicking 45-yard plus field goals on the first drive of the game, because it's colossally stupid.

I agree. Long field goals are only relevant at the end of half/game. Outside of that, these 50+ yard bombs are inexcusable. Attempting a 57 yard FG 5 minutes into a 0-0 game against the Vikings and giving them a quasi turnover at midfield as a result is a near fireable offense.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I agree. Long field goals are only relevant at the end of half/game. Outside of that, these 50+ yard bombs are inexcusable. Attempting a 57 yard FG 5 minutes into a 0-0 game against the Vikings and giving them a quasi turnover at midfield as a result is a near fireable offense.
Yep. And it's like the 4th time he's done that.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
They can’t consistently pressure the QB. LBs are usually off the line of scrimmage. Safeties suck. Corners can not locate the football. Coach rarely plays to win and put pressure on opposing offenses.

How do you turn the ball over with that?

IheartRomo

Reaction score
Another interesting nugget:

Teams that win the turnover battle win the game about 78% of the time. With the defense often guaranteeing 0 takeaways, the offense must play perfect simply to get a wash in the turnover battle. Implementing a defensive scheme that does not prioritize turnovers at least to some degree is voluntarily lowering the team's win %. Getting turnovers isn't black and white, but there has to be an emphasis on them to some degree.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If we exclude the Giants, do we have a takeaway at all this season?

it’s like Dlaw getting half his sacks against the G-men and wanting Mack money, lol

everybody’s stats sure would suck if we didn’t have the Giants to punk twice a year.

dwreck27

Reaction score
I was told Richards would bring takeaways success with him?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Turnovers are not classy way to win football games. Just like long runs by your running back are passé.

Creeper

Reaction score
I was told Richards would bring takeaways success with him?

For some reason after Richard left Seattle, their defense continues to play aggressively and get takeaways, while Dallas doesn't with Richard as the coach. Either Richard was not responsible for the Seattle successes on defense or someone in Dallas is not letting him do his thing. Seattle has 11 Interceptions and 16 fumble recoveries. Dallas has 4 and 8.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
For some reason after Richard left Seattle, their defense continues to play aggressively and get takeaways, while Dallas doesn't with Richard as the coach. Either Richard was not responsible for the Seattle successes on defense or someone in Dallas is not letting him do his thing. Seattle has 11 Interceptions and 16 fumble recoveries. Dallas has 4 and 8.
And that’s with major changes in defensive personnel, too. It’s mind boggling.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teams with 0 turnovers win a given game at about a 75% clip. By game time on Thursday, it will have been over a month since the defense has forced a turnover. We're all but guaranteed to lose the turnover battle (or push, at best) going into a given game.

The defense's complete inability to force turnovers is one of the top-of-the-list issues with this team. It seems a new scheme/staff will be needed to even begin the process of fixing it.
That's an interesting takeaway ...

:D :D