It's done! Let's start rooting for Dak and all of our team

glimmerman

Reaction score
I am rooting. I do wish they would allow them to negotiate during the season. I bet they would have something worked out. Heck if they had another hour it would have been done.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only opinions that mater about his leadership are from his players, coaches and front office. By all accounts his leadership is highly praised from that group. Wouldn’t it be more appropriate to look for examples coming from them which may start to show the perception of his leadership abilities have been overstated? I don’t understand the desire to distrust all the rave reviews of his leadership abilities coming from the only insiders that actually matter. Even Dez Bryant praises his leadership and if anyone outspoken person would question it, I would imagine it would be Dez since they didn’t appear to have very good chemistry in between the lines and we know Dez isn’t happy with the Cowboys.

Wait...we can sit here and assess Dak and zeke performance.....but we can;t assess "leadership"? I disagree. Is Winston a leader, or Brady? More... or less?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Wait...we can sit here and assess Dak and zeke performance.....but we can;t assess "leadership"? I disagree. Is Winston a leader, or Brady? More... or less?
You can do what you want. The question is whether it makes sense to or not. Leadership tends to be an internal thing. When the people on the inside keep saying one thing which is overwhelming positive and the only people who seem to be a Doubting Thomas are on the outside, it makes no sense. It reminds me of Bill Parcels’ rule #1 of his QB commandments. It is very true, especially on this topic.

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score
True fans will let it go and root for the TEAM! All of this, Dak will regret it crap, is being spewed by people that need to move on to another team. True fans don't want him to "regret" it, they want him to win a SB. Pretenders..........time I move on. Be safe!
Unfortunately some here would rather the team fail and be right about Dak.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can do what you want. The question is whether it makes sense to or not. Leadership tends to be an internal thing. When the people on the inside keep saying one thing which is overwhelming positive and the only people who seem to be a Doubting Thomas are on the outside, it makes no sense. It reminds me of Bill Parcels’ rule #1 of his QB commandments. It is very true, especially on this topic.

Well.....you are relying on what the team says publicly. May not be the most reliable factual information. What do you expect them to say?

We can see a leader on the field. "So....stervethecowboy...what do you look for then?"....you ask.

Hold other players accountable. I don't mean blame.....I mean respectful direction and correction. You can see them do this after a play or on the sidelines. During a tough time, the QB should be right there with the other player(s)...telling them what he wants to see. Doing this on a consistent and successful basis can inspire other players to overachieve.

Adjust to some situation or change. This can be hard....agreed. Was that a directed audible...or did the QB call it on his own? But calling the audible...any audible...is a good step. Moving players around. I see QB's doing this...some quite frequently. Maybe Brees is a good example? LEADING the other players into the right play or...audible. Doing this on a consistent and successful basis can inspire other players to overachieve.

Taking chances. I don't mean reckless ones. But put yourself out there a little bit. Say take off and run the ball in the open. Or a long accurate pass in a very critical time. Prolly Rodgers is one of the best I've seen...modern day. Doing this on a consistent and successful basis can inspire other players to overachieve.

Speaking of that....results during critical times. Yes...this depends on other players....but a leader helps put those players in better situations. Maybe spot the weakness that isn't necessarily in the play. Doing this on a consistent and successful basis can inspire other players to overachieve.

So these kinds of things can be seen...on the field. With your own eyes. Does a player INSPIRE other players? I think Emmitt and Irvin did this. I believe Sean Lee does it. Does Dak truly...inspire players? ON THE FIELD...where it counts?

I'm not convinced. Like I said...he doesn't necessarily HAVE to. Call the plays in the huddle, hand off, throw. (does not make a "leader" imho) I'm not judging him for it...just observations. I wouldn't even mention it if other people didn't call him a great/true/whatever leader. He can just do his job and be just fine.

Like you said...what difference does it make what I think.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Well.....you are relying on what the team says publicly. May not be the most reliable factual information. What do you expect them to say?

We can see a leader on the field. "So....stervethecowboy...what do you look for then?"....you ask.

Hold other players accountable. I don't mean blame.....I mean respectful direction and correction. You can see them do this after a play or on the sidelines. During a tough time, the QB should be right there with the other player(s)...telling them what he wants to see. Doing this on a consistent and successful basis can inspire other players to overachieve.

Adjust to some situation or change. This can be hard....agreed. Was that a directed audible...or did the QB call it on his own? But calling the audible...any audible...is a good step. Moving players around. I see QB's doing this...some quite frequently. Maybe Brees is a good example? LEADING the other players into the right play or...audible. Doing this on a consistent and successful basis can inspire other players to overachieve.

Taking chances. I don't mean reckless ones. But put yourself out there a little bit. Say take off and run the ball in the open. Or a long accurate pass in a very critical time. Prolly Rodgers is one of the best I've seen...modern day. Doing this on a consistent and successful basis can inspire other players to overachieve.

Speaking of that....results during critical times. Yes...this depends on other players....but a leader helps put those players in better situations. Maybe spot the weakness that isn't necessarily in the play. Doing this on a consistent and successful basis can inspire other players to overachieve.

So these kinds of things can be seen...on the field. With your own eyes. Does a player INSPIRE other players? I think Emmitt and Irvin did this. I believe Sean Lee does it. Does Dak truly...inspire players? ON THE FIELD...where it counts?

I'm not convinced. Like I said...he doesn't necessarily HAVE to. Call the plays in the huddle, hand off, throw. (does not make a "leader" imho) I'm not judging him for it...just observations. I wouldn't even mention it if other people didn't call him a great/true/whatever leader. He can just do his job and be just fine.

Like you said...what difference does it make what I think.
Yes. When I have zero way of having first hand knowledge, I typically defer to the people who do. Everything about his leadership that I can find is favorable. His scouting report, his education, and the opinions expressed by everyone with the team align with him being a tremendous leader.

The only negative I can find is from some CowboysZone posters who, not surprisingly, don’t seem to like anything about Dak.

Rule #1 - Ignore other opinions - Press or TV, agents or advisors, family or wives, friends or relatives, fans or hanger ons, - ignore them on matters of football. They don’t know what’s happening here.

Morons used to claim Romo wasn’t a leader, too. They were just as silly.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
True fans will let it go and root for the TEAM! All of this, Dak will regret it crap, is being spewed by people that need to move on to another team. True fans don't want him to "regret" it, they want him to win a SB. Pretenders..........time I move on. Be safe!
Sad to say that for some in here, this will fall on deaf ears.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes. When I have zero way of having first hand knowledge, I typically defer to the people who do. Everything about his leadership that I can find is favorable. His scouting report, his education, and the opinions expressed by everyone with the team align with him being a tremendous leader.

The only negative I can find is from some CowboysZone posters who, not surprisingly, don’t seem to like anything about Dak.

Rule #1 - Ignore other opinions - Press or TV, agents or advisors, family or wives, friends or relatives, fans or hanger ons, - ignore them on matters of football. They don’t know what’s happening here.

Morons used to claim Romo wasn’t a leader, too. They were just as silly.

I was hoping you'd give me an example (examples)of Dak being a leader.....other than a teammate telling a reporter the company line. Oh well {shrug}

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I was hoping you'd give me an example (examples)of Dak being a leader.....other than a teammate telling a reporter the company line. Oh well {shrug}
I know you do. You did it the last time, too. We aren’t close enough to give first hand examples, good or bad. We can only use the information that is available to us. It isn’t just a teammate giving a company line. I have mentioned several times it is his education and it is a strength on his scouting report. Everything is positive about his leadership except from CowboysZone.

Do you hate him that much you have to try and undermine every single positive thing (or non-negative) about the man?

Jeffkills

Reaction score
Not going to be rooting for Dak, but I’ll cheer the TDS and for my Cowboys...

CWR

Reaction score
:dance::dance::dance:

renny

Reaction score
I want a ring. So yeah I want him to do amazing and JJ offers him mahomes money because he deserves it. But I also want him to have a little talk with his agent. Maybe just fire him.
Some fans here would rather lose, than to see Prescott the winning Super Bowl QB of the Dallas Cowboys......SAD!

Brax

Reaction score
I am rooting. I do wish they would allow them to negotiate during the season. I bet they would have something worked out. Heck if they had another hour it would have been done.
Two years and they needed another hour, get real.

blueblood70

Reaction score
well that only applies sept 10th , yes then its all about wanting 19 wins and a Sb and nothing else..

until then this debate will go on and on and on..

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Good post Ranch!!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I honestly don't see where that comes from. I don't see him leading anyone. He looks like he just goes with the flow to me, and it's not like I dislike the guy. I just don't understand what people see that makes him a leader.
You’re not in the locker room, the position meeting rooms, the practices. All his teammates have all said he’s an outstanding leader. Just because you can’t see it because you’re not there doesn’t mean it isn’t so.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
Like my name...I’m OG. ALWAYS been all in on Cowboys for over 50yrs...through thick n thin. Might moan n groan at times but never waver as a Dallas Cowboy...I’m pumped. I, we NEED football....let’s do this vattos
Puro Cowboys

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You’re not in the locker room, the position meeting rooms, the practices. All his teammates have all said he’s an outstanding leader. Just because you can’t see it because you’re not there doesn’t mean it isn’t so.
I agree. Just because I don't see it doesn't mean he's not a leader. He may be a great leader in the locker room, and to see what some teammates say, they think so. But it's more important to be a leader on the field, and that's where I don't see it. Do you see it on the field? If so, point it out so I can see it.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
The only opinions that mater about his leadership are from his players, coaches and front office. By all accounts his leadership is highly praised from that group. Wouldn’t it be more appropriate to look for examples coming from them which may start to show the perception of his leadership abilities have been overstated? I don’t understand the desire to distrust all the rave reviews of his leadership abilities coming from the only insiders that actually matter. Even Dez Bryant praises his leadership and if anyone outspoken person would question it, I would imagine it would be Dez since they didn’t appear to have very good chemistry in between the lines and we know Dez isn’t happy with the Cowboys.
Seems like Dak is good at keeping a calm head and ensuring stability which is definitely an important aspect of leadership. The second aspect is making others around you better or holding them to a high standard (similar to Aikman and Brady).

That second element is not on display, and like Runwildboys mentioned, he seems to more go with the flow until he needs to turn it on. We want him chewing out players for slow first halfs or wasted 3rd downs, etc. Not always, and is a balancing act as well;see Rivers and Cutler. He's old enough now to feel he can yell at teammates when they're holding the team back, even Romo did that.

Before this off season I just took it to mean his leadership = maturity. He seems like an older soul which is a good trait for leadership. Otherwise he seemed to just toe the company line and that is enough for most label you a good leader; see Witten.