It's driving me mad!

hendog

Reaction score
This whole defensive scheme of ours just absolutely sucks.

I've been a BP supporter since day 1 and believe he has improved the talent level on our team immensely.

But I can't wait to get some coaches in here with a fresh, innovative attacking mentality.

I'm so tired of watching other teams w/less talent pressure and attack and collapse the pocket. Swarm the ball carrier and actually cover people downfield.

Plain and simple- BP and/or Zimmer just don't put our guys in a position to succeed. Our players are handcuffed by our own strategy.

Can't we run a line stunt just one freaking time.

How come we can blitz what seems like 8 people and not even one can get thru a 5 man line?

Other teams cover better than us that don't even have one good player in thier secondary.

I've had it. I was fed up (like the rest of you) before the Saints game and that was just the nail in the coffin. The scheme and gameplan for that game was atrocious.

Bp can say - oh this guy was supposed to do this and this guy didn't do that.Please - it was obvious that our guys didn't have a clue. Pathetic.

We need some changes and I hope it starts this weekend.

2007 = Hire Ron Rivera from the Bears as HC and pull Norv back as Asst. Head coach/OC or something.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
hendog;1233680 said:
This whole defensive scheme of ours just absolutely sucks.

I've been a BP supporter since day 1 and believe he has improved the talent level on our team immensely.

But I can't wait to get some coaches in here with a fresh, innovative attacking mentality.

I'm so tired of watching other teams w/less talent pressure and attack and collapse the pocket. Swarm the ball carrier and actually cover people downfield.

Plain and simple- BP and/or Zimmer just don't put our guys in a position to succeed. Our players are handcuffed by our own strategy.

How come we can blitz what seems like 8 people and not even one can get thru a 5 man line?

Other teams cover better than us that don't even have one good player in thier secondary.

I've had it. I was fed up (like the rest of you) before the Saints game and that was just the nail in the coffin. The scheme and gameplan for that game was atrocious.

Bp can say - oh this guy was supposed to do this and this guy didn't do that.Please - it was obvious that our guys didn't have a clue. Pathetic.

We need some changes and I hope it starts this weekend.

2007 = Hire Ron Rivera from the Bears as HC and pull Norv back as Asst. Head coach/OC or something.
mindboggling isn't it?

Fan Since 77

Reaction score
:rolleyes:

One bad game by the defense and people throw tantrums.
Where was this advice when the defense was shutting teams down, and swarming the ball, and covering people, etc etc.

You should wait and see if there is a pattern before starting these types of threads.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
It seems to me that someone other then Ware can get to the QB--what about Ratliff starting?

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
that 1st and Goal from the 8 that saw Marion Barber on the sideline all 3 plays before the punt...that decision STILL puzzles me here a nearly a week later.

I mean we saw that same thing NOT work w/ the Giants...TWICE....why would we not go with what's working? To try to surprise the Saints? HA! They were surprised alright..at how easy we were to defend. Oy, you are right...change is needed.

Defense played that ONE all-out aggressive game..then went conservative after that...

Go Cowboys!

morasp

Reaction score
Fan Since 77;1233686 said:

Where was this advice when the defense was shutting teams down, and swarming the ball, and covering people, etc etc.

You should wait and see if there is a pattern before starting these types of threads.

Maybe you mean the Giants game the previous week when Manning shredded our defense and marched the length of the field on all three of their second half drives.

Reaction score

The Saints game was hardly the only bad game played by the defense this year.

They also laid a couple of turds against the Eagles and Giants.

They also couldn't stop Jacksonville when it mattered.

gbrittain

Reaction score

I would disagree that Dallas has had only one bad game. Up to this point to me it is clear that the Dallas defense is not top notch. They played a gem of a game against the Colts.

Dallas has not been shutting down teams all season. Jacksonville, Philly, New York, New York, 2nd Washington game, and New Orleans come to mind.

Dallas does not create havoc on the opposing teams. Dallas is tied for fifth worst in terms of getting to the QB. Sacks may not mean everything, but it is a good indicator how good you are at pressuring the QB.

The really good defenses cover the pass well, stop the run and pressure QBs into making mistakes. Right now Dallas on the average is pretty good at stopping the run, average against the pass (19th against the pass), and horrible at pressuring the QB.

Reaction score
gbrittain;1233747 said:
I would disagree that Dallas has had only one bad game. Up to this point to me it is clear that the Dallas defense is not top notch. They played a gem of a game against the Colts.

Dallas has not been shutting down teams all season. Jacksonville, Philly, New York, New York, 2nd Washington game, and New Orleans come to mind.

Dallas does not create havoc on the opposing teams. Dallas is tied for fifth worst in terms of getting to the QB. Sacks may not mean everything, but it is a good indicator how good you are at pressuring the QB.

The really good defenses cover the pass well, stop the run and pressure QBs into making mistakes. Right now Dallas on the average is pretty good at stopping the run, average against the pass (19th against the pass), and horrible at pressuring the QB.

Look at the bright side.

In Bizzaro World we have Doomsday III.

superpunk

Reaction score

The pattern, in the last few weeks, has been that we are incapable of getting to the QB. Maybe that's because of Ellis, because when he was there, it was much better. But if that's the case, where's the compensation?

It can be better, we just need some adjustments.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
superpunk;1233755 said:
It can be better, we just need some adjustments.

Yeah, it can get better. It's scheme. We have some people who are capable of getting to the QB... but we have to have the nads to actually go after the QB. Carpenter is a good pass rusher. Ayodele is too. I bet James and Burnett can get to the QB if given the chance.

We have to compensate for Ellis, just like you said, and if we send some guys for a change... we'll get there.

cnhnyy

Reaction score
I agree we need another passrusher. Ware had a really bad game (look all these short passes NO completed at his side) but he was probably asked to get to Brees ASAP (Aka Merriman) since nobody else can get close to Brees.

I am really disappointed at Canty/Spears and they both should be benched.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
hendog;1233680 said:
I can't wait to get some coaches in here with a fresh, innovative attacking mentality.

I wanted to address this part real quick. Bill Parcells defensive schemes have a proven track record and he is running the same schemes he did as Coach of the Giants. We have great personnel, yet are less successful. It begs the question why.

I'm flat out going to suggest that one of the reasons is because this is no longer the 1980's and Free Agency has arrived in the NFL. Okay, you're probably saying Hos, what in the blue hell does this have to do with what is happening to our team?

I'm glad you asked. Because of Free Agency teams are not as disciplined as they used to be. Teams blitz a lot more now than in years past. Why? Well, because those teams had very little turnover from year to year. They instinctively knew what other teams were going to do and where each other would be and how to best protect the QB. If a blitz doesn't work what happens? We all know that it leaves the secondary in single coverage and usually deep. Big plays.

Teams blitz more now than in the past because there is a higher probability of a breakdown or lapse that allows someone through unchecked. Teams are more willing to gamble than ever and are more successful than ever. It's about familiarity and chemistry and it's about rolling the dice.

I have complained for 3 years that Parcells is too conservative in his play calling. My main complaint is on the defensive side of the ball. he's stuck in the 80's. There's too much film on the 80's 3-4 defensive schemes and how to slow them down.

We have the players to gamble with blitzes and stunts, but we don't gamble. Parcells wants a disciplined, do your assignment defense. I understand that to a degree, but not completely. Mixing things up works just as well in this day and age. Why do you think Bill Belicheck has had such good success against Peyton Manning and the Colts offense? Because they never come out with the same exact game plan as last week or the last time they faced each other. He makes teams adjust.

We don't. Teams know they just have to play us straight up for most of the game. That means if they are more physical that day they're likely going to be successful to some degree. Once a team starts having some success and gains momentum it's hard to stop.

I would very much like to see a hungry young coach who wants to create havoc. I think the players play harder for such a coach and when you have good players doing this (and we do) it makes things rough on an offense.

zeromaster

Reaction score
Thoughtful, yet provocative.

Post of the hour at least.:bow:

And enough with the stats folks. If we played defense like we did against Indy (not necessarily the approach, but the intensity and unpredictable aspect) none of these threads would have nearly as much life.

Bottom line: it doesn't matter if the defense is ranked impressively if it can't make stops when needed. Those rankings will be small consolation if we go nowhere in the playoffs.

hendog

Reaction score
Good post Hos. That's what I've told a friend of mine is that BP is just stuck in the 80's. That ball control stop the run mentality doesn't work when teams are 5 wide and willing to throw 60 times a game.

As for waiting for a pattern before I post, we've been stuck in the same no pressure pattern for 2 or 3 years now.

My god just look at our talent and the picks we've spent on them.

In the last 5 years alone we have 5 top 20 picks on our d.

Roy
Tnew
Ware
Spears
carp

Burnette - 2nd

Hatcher - 3rd

James - 4th
Canty 4th- would have probably been a 1st b4 injury

Not to mention the FA acquisitions.

How could it be so hard to "let slip the dogs of war."

superpunk

Reaction score
hendog;1233874 said:
Good post Hos. That's what I've told a friend of mine is that BP is just stuck in the 80's. That ball control stop the run mentality doesn't work when teams are 5 wide and willing to throw 60 times a game.

As for waiting for a pattern before I post, we've been stuck in the same no pressure pattern for 2 or 3 years now.

My god just look at our talent and the picks we've spent on them.

In the last 5 years alone we have 5 top 20 picks on our d.

Roy
Tnew
Ware
Spears
carp

Burnette - 2nd

Hatcher - 3rd

James - 4th
Canty 4th- would have probably been a 1st b4 injury

Not to mention the FA acquisitions.

How could it be so hard to "let slip the dogs of war."

Trouble is, only about three of them are playing like they're worth a damn right now. We might let them go, and it would be like the poodles of war.

hendog

Reaction score
Just once I'd like to see what Dick Lebeau or Greg Williams could do with that group.

superpunk

Reaction score
hendog;1233881 said:
Just once I'd like to see what Dick Lebeau or Greg Williams could do with that group.
It is frustrating to have one of the best trios of corners in the NFL, and having it look like we don't trust them to hold their own at all. If we could force people to throw faster, allowing Henry and Glenn to get those quick jumps they're so adept at, our turnover ratio might be even better. Everytime we bring it tho, we get our butts kicked. That confusion needs to be brought every week, regardless of opponent.

Everyone just needs to step it up.

gbrittain

Reaction score
Hos wrote:

I would very much like to see a hungry young coach who wants to create havoc. I think the players play harder for such a coach and when you have good players doing this (and we do) it makes things rough on an offense.

Lots of interesting and good thoughts there Hos. However, the portion above is what I think will end up being the answer to our defensive woes.

I remember vaguely some of the players mentioning after the Indy game how exciting it was or something along those lines. They got to go out there mix things up and attack. They responded so well, that we pulled the reigns in on them...makes sense to me. :rolleyes: