Its not all the players

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Coaching and schemes DO matter........

Roy back to being a monster

Strong safety Roy Williams is having fun again after a so-so 2004 season when he wasn't allowed to be himself.

The concerns at cornerback forced the Cowboys to play Williams as a deep safety away from the line of scrimmage. The Cowboys made off-season upgrades at cornerback and changed the scheme so he can play close to the line of scrimmage and do what he does best. Williams has been laying licks all over the practice field.

"I love these new schemes," he said. "Man, I'm in the mix. I can't complain at all. I'm down there where I want to be, and we're gonna make some things happen."

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Canty, Spears, Ferguson in your Grill. Ware on the edge and Burnett/Roy roaming the box.

This is going to be a fun season!

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:
Canty, Spears, Ferguson in your Grill. Ware on the edge and Burnett/Roy roaming the box.

This is going to be a fun season!
BP is a really smart person. If you look at his starting CB's, they are big guys. Guys that can jam a receiver and totally take a second or 2 away from the QB to find receivers.
This becomes a trickle down effect.
Case: 2 receiver set with a tight end and full back with an HB. They run a pass play.
T Newman jams his guy and so does Henry. Roy blankets the TE and Dat is all over the FB.

Ferg/Canty/Spears blasts the middle and pushes the pile hard while Burnett lerks just long enough to put doubt in a guards mind that he might be blitzing leaving him un certain while Spears is pushes him back.

Then comes Ware off the edge like a tornado causing the QB to just fling the ball. Here comes TNewman to pick off a week slant and either good field position or touch down for TNewman.

I'll bet you that you will see that happen sometime this year.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
PacoReloaded said:
And not a moment too soon either.

Thank god for the 3-4.

:welcome: to the best Cowboys board known to mankind. Where you'll find everything form pure un-adulterated Homerism to borderline psychotic literary floggings. Have fun and remember your opinion matters.......as long as you agree with me!
icon10.gif

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
So adding 5 new stud starters to a defense points to an improved scheme? I see, I thought it had to do more with improving the talent level. What do I know.

joseephuss

Reaction score
dallasfaniac said:
So adding 5 new stud starters to a defense points to an improved scheme? I see, I thought it had to do more with improving the talent level. What do I know.

You and me both. I guess the fact that we are adding talent has nothing to do with the ability to differ the schemes. Talented players allow coaches to be more flexible. How can you call more blitzes when your starting RCB and SS can't cover anyone and whomever you stick at the right side of the defensive line can't create pressure? Good players allow you much more freedom to try out different things.

scottsp

Reaction score
Of course it's not the talent alone that can be the difference between success and failure in the NFL. Coaching can make an impact. So too can scheme. But you have to have quality ammo to take into battle. Talent is the most important ingredient at the NFL level. That is not to say coaching is insignificant. Obviously, it is.

The Balitmore Ravens could run a variety of fronts with their current personnel and would prolly do well. As could the Patriots. They're simply too talented. Granted, they acquire personnel with scheme in mind. And they run stuff that maximizes the talent they put on the field. And certainly, that is good coaching/management.

Looking it at from the Dallas point of view, good luck running a 3-4 front with the lot this team claimed last season. And if this team decided to revert back to the 4-3 this season, odds are they would improve upon that hideous 2004 performance.

That said, I do agree that the 3-4 is a welcomed addition and something I am rather excited about. But a lot of it has to do with guys named Ferguson, Ware, Spears, and Canty, not to mention an improved secondary as well.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Nors said:
Coaching and schemes DO matter........

Roy back to being a monster

Strong safety Roy Williams is having fun again after a so-so 2004 season when he wasn't allowed to be himself.

The concerns at cornerback forced the Cowboys to play Williams as a deep safety away from the line of scrimmage. The Cowboys made off-season upgrades at cornerback and changed the scheme so he can play close to the line of scrimmage and do what he does best. Williams has been laying licks all over the practice field.

"I love these new schemes," he said. "Man, I'm in the mix. I can't complain at all. I'm down there where I want to be, and we're gonna make some things happen."

They could have done the same thing in the 4-3. I think the new improved corners have more to do with Roy being in the mix than any move to the 3-4.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It has never been just about the scheme, it has never been just about the coaches and it has never been about just the players.

I would say that those that argue that it has always been one way and not the other are just fooling themselves.

It is almost always a combination of things.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
It has never been just about the scheme, it has never been just about the coaches and it has never been about just the players.

I would say that those that argue that it has always been one way and not the other are just fooling themselves.

It is almost always a combination of things.

Bingo! I love the 3-4 for us, as much as anything because it IS WHAT PARCELLS BELIEVES IN and that's what is important!! I wish he would have made the move immediately upon taking the job, simply because a Head Coach should coach the schemes he's comfortable with and that he believes in.

But the 4-3 and the 3-4 have been around for many, many years with one style being in vogue for a while. There have been great defenses that played both styles. It's funny...that "old", "predictable" 4-3 looks pretty good when you have Mean Joe Green, Randy White, Reggie White or Jerome Brown playing it, with corners like Mel Blount, Mel Renfro or Eric Allen. :)