Its Not Working So

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Lets fix it. The running game is starting to become extinct. If we are only going to run it 14 times a game there is no reason why MBIII isnt getting all the carries. Is there really anyone out there that think JJ should still be starting? MBIII is averaging almost a full yard per carry more then JJ. I just dont see any logical reasons for not starting MBIII.

Smith22

Reaction score
Hard for the running game to work when you refuse to run the ball.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Just don't give the ball to Jones when you do run it and we should be ok.

slick325

Reaction score
Our running game is not that good. Bottom line. So, I agree with Red, put the ball in the hands of our best players: Romo, Witten and T.O. and once he returns T.Glenn. Those players are all involved in the passing game so I say throw it around all day until Jerry can address our running back situation.

For all the talk about the Cowboys QB history lets not forget they have two Hall of Fame RB's and Herschel and Duane Thomas weren't too bad either. Jerry found our franchise QB in Romo, now we need a franchise RB.

Too many have bought into the Coach Parcells nonsense about a two back system. What a load of crap. That was his way of saying that Dallas didn't have a workhorse in the backfield and so he needed to platoon the carries. When he was in New England and with the Jets he had a future Hall of Fame RB in Curtis Martin and he used him all day long. When you have a feature back there is no need for a two back system.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday;1838468 said:
If we are only going to run it 14 times a game there is no reason why MBIII isnt getting all the carries.
For starters, we need to have more than 14 running plays a game.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
The running game is not that good, true, but they had some opportunities today to use it where it would probably have worked. The running game situation (and the team itself in some respects) reminds me of the 1976 Cowboys. Just lacking that super back.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
We probably ran it like 3 times in the 2nd half, and when we finally ran it in the 4th, Barber gained 3 yards. Let's say he gains 3 yards on the next play, now it's 3rd and 4 instead of 3 and 18 because of sack and fumble or something.

It's simple, mix-it-up! Whether it works or not, just mix in some runs, and when you do, use Barber not JJ.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
kingwhicker;1838698 said:
The running game is not that good, true, but they had some opportunities today to use it where it would probably have worked. The running game situation (and the team itself in some respects) reminds me of the 1976 Cowboys. Just lacking that super back.
and we traded up to get an elite back next year

Maybe McFadden could be this generation's Dorsett.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
kingwhicker;1838698 said:
The running game situation (and the team itself in some respects) reminds me of the 1976 Cowboys. Just lacking that super back.
I think our GM agrees with you.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
windward;1838716 said:
and we traded up to get an elite back next year

Maybe McFadden could be this generation's Dorsett.

If we could rape some dumb team the way we did Seattle that year I'd be all for it.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
percyhoward;1838720 said:
I think our GM agrees with you.

Well, I don't want to give up the farm for McFadden, but I wouldn't mind getting a RB in the first round.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
. The running game situation (and the team itself in some respects) reminds me of the 1976 Cowboys. Just lacking that super back.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with that comparison.

The league has changed granted, different eras etc.. but the Cowboys knew then what kept them from being an offensive dynamo.. a tailback.

I remember that move for Dorsett, interesting parallel for those on the McFadden bandwagon.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The running game might not be that good, but MBIII was averaging 4.6 ypc, that isnt awful. It is more then enough to slow down the rush and put Romo in some better passing situations. You cant just ignore it for 3 quarters. We were much more successful early in the year when we pounded teams a bit more early.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Doomsday;1838819 said:
The running game might not be that good, but MBIII was averaging 4.6 ypc, that isnt awful. It is more then enough to slow down the rush and put Romo in some better passing situations.
Yeah. Definitely should give MB3 more carries

sbark

Reaction score
burmafrd;1838489 said:
Wade needs to have a little talk with redball.

Yup, especially when when Emphasises on D' that the run gets stopped as 1st Priority

and yet they go away from it so readily, on a nite Romo was dinged or just not in sync.