It's real funny...

odog422

Reaction score
Seeing the polarization of the board at times. In this case, the Barber/Jones debates.

Come on here after one of our games where Barber had some really good runs and there are 6-12 posts (or more) on how he needs to start, he's the better runner, bench Jones, etc. Now after this game, in which Jones clearly was more productive, I come here and I haven't seen one thread regarding that fact.

I like Jones, I really do. He burst on the scene for us and got me really excited and I had high hopes for him. And this game he illustrated the things that pumped me about him in the first place - the burst, change of direction. Also, I think sharing the backfield with Barber and hearing and seeing Barber's determination has kind rubbed off on him this year as he seems - saw examples yesterday too - of running harder than previous years.

The point of my post is, its funny how so many posters will come to bash but can't/won't give the credit when it doesn't support their view or position, even though, bottom line, it's all to the benefit of our team.

Regardless of what I said above about liking Jones, I think Barber is the better back - not by much, mostly in terms of balance - but I can acknowledge that. But, in my opinion, he's not head and shoulders above Julius, especially not to the point that warrants changing the rotation, although I wish Julius had got more touches yesterday as he seemed to be more effective.

It's working and that's what's most important. Just thought I'd throw a little props JuJo's way.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
odog422;1760715 said:
Seeing the polarization of the board at times. In this case, the Barber/Jones debates.

Come on here after one of our games where Barber had some really good runs and there are 6-12 posts (or more) on how he needs to start, hes the better runner, bench Jones, etc. Now after this game, in which Jones clearly was more productive, I come here and I haven't seen one thread regarding that fact.

I like Jones, I really do. He burst on the scene for us and got me really excited and I had high hopes for him. And this game he illustrated the things that pumped me about him in the first place - the burst, change of direction. Also, I think sharing the backfield with Barber and hearing and seeing Barber's determination has kind rubbed off on him this year as he seems - saw example yesterday too - of running harder than previous years.

The point of my post is, its funny how so many posters will come to bash but cant give the credit when it doesnt support their view or position, even though, bottom line, its all to the benefit of our team.

Regardless of what I said above about liking Jones, I think Barber is the better back - not by much, mostly in terms of balance - but I can acknowledge that. But, in my opinion, he's not head and shoulders above Julius, especially not to the point that warrants changing the rotation, although I wish Julius had got more touches yesterday as he seemed to be more effective.

It's working and that's what's most important. Just thought I'd throw a little props JuJo's way.

I agree. I thought JJ had a very good game and felt he should have been given more oppertunities given the fact he had a hot hand going.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
We have 2 RBs that can both be debated to start or see more carries...

But we need McFadden ;)

*ducks*

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I love the combo of Jones and Barber , and can only hope Dallas can hang on to both of them . I'd much rather seek a replacement for Tyson Thmpson in the 4th or 5th round rather than try to draft a replacement for either of these two guys .

odog422

Reaction score
smarta5150;1760724 said:
We have 2 RBs that can both be debated to start or see more carries...

But we need McFadden ;)

*ducks*

For what it would take to move up and get him, I don't see it. And while I was impressed in the chance I got to see him (300+ yard game), I still don't know that I see the need to even try and get him. Not a running back.

Also, he seems to run with the upright style of Peterson (see injury). How much that played a part, hard to say.

Neither Barber or Jones are elite and we seem to be doing fine.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
The thing about it JuJo was in a rhythm and Garrett stopped calling his number i was puzzled with that

odog422

Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;1760744 said:
I love the combo of Jones and Barber , and can only hope Dallas can hang on to both of them . I'd much rather seek a replacement for Tyson Thmpson in the 4th or 5th round rather than try to draft a replacement for either of these two guys .

Unless someone like Denver comes in with a major offer, I'd say there is a chance Jones stays. My one caveat is, I think his desire to be The Guy is very strong and he would bolt at the opportunity to do so. However, if all that's out there for him are "platoon" type situations, like here in Dallas, he may stay.

SacredStar

Reaction score
McFadden would be nice....real nice.

Bit I'd rather a nice 1st WR and nice 1st round CB.

odog422

Reaction score
94WARE94;1762046 said:
The thing about it JuJo was in a rhythm and Garrett stopped calling his number i was puzzled with that

Makes two of us...

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
SacredStar;1762055 said:

Bit I'd rather a nice 1st WR and nice 1st round CB.

I lol'ed last night after that play (your sig)

skinsscalper

Reaction score
odog422;1762053 said:
Unless someone like Denver comes in with a major offer, I'd say there is a chance Jones stays. My one caveat is, I think his desire to be The Guy is very strong and he would bolt at the opportunity to do so. However, if all that's out there for him are "platoon" type situations, like here in Dallas, he may stay.

You never know. If Dallas makes it to the Super Bowl, Jones may forgo the riches of FA and just re-sign. A championship isn't guaranteed to any player and Jones may realize his best chance at one in his career is right here.

SS

:star:

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
SacredStar;1762055 said:

[But] I'd rather [see] a nice 1st WR and nice 1st round CB.

YES!

This is a must.

We need depth at both of these key positions.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
eduncan22;1762092 said:
YES!

This is a must.

We need depth at both of these key positions.

Henry is here to stay bud deal with it :p:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
odog422;1760715 said:

Come on here after one of our games where Barber had some really good runs and there are 6-12 posts (or more) on how he needs to start, he's the better runner, bench Jones, etc. Now after this game, in which Jones clearly was more productive, I come here and I haven't seen one thread regarding that fact.

I like Jones, I really do. He burst on the scene for us and got me really excited and I had high hopes for him. And this game he illustrated the things that pumped me about him in the first place - the burst, change of direction. Also, I think sharing the backfield with Barber and hearing and seeing Barber's determination has kind rubbed off on him this year as he seems - saw examples yesterday too - of running harder than previous years.

The point of my post is, its funny how so many posters will come to bash but can't/won't give the credit when it doesn't support their view or position, even though, bottom line, it's all to the benefit of our team.

Its funny... I watch Julius and it just seems like he is gonna explode all over some team... soon.... or maybe in the playoffs when it matter most... ala Seattle.....

He is gonna break one...... watch!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SacredStar;1762055 said:

But I'd rather a nice 1st WR and nice 1st round CB.
:bow:

That just makes a whole lotta sense to me.

goshan

Reaction score
It isn't polarizing to me.
JJones is an average back who has never returned to his rookie form but he has a good burst and move or two still. He is good in space and good if there is a large hole. His rookie season his feet were SICK but I haven't seen that since.
Barber has great energy, passion, is tough to bring down and is much better at making the first guy miss. He also can fit through tight spaces. But sometimes he dances too much and isn't super quick to the hole. His style isn't conducive to 20+ carries a game.

Neither is All-Pro and will never be. I generally want Wade/Garrett to stick with the hot man more though. Both tend to be a little streaky. JJones probably was geared for a 100 yard game yesterday if we fed him more.

I would say Barber has looked better 70% of the games though.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
JJ looked good yesterday and should have been given more carries.

Crad|e

Reaction score
barber is the better all around back.. he blocks great, fights harder, and plays with passion. not to mention hes a TD machine. jones is average, he doesnt break tackles and he needs traded and we need to either draft a slaton or rice next year.