It's slow.. This will be fun..

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
So let's pretend like you are an old, old grandpa.. You are sitting with your two young grandsons, telling them of days gone by.. You start to tell them about the great Dallas Cowboys players of the past.. If you had a magical video tape that had ONE game recorded on this tape from all your favorite Cowboys, what ONE game from each of them would you choose? ONE game to show your grandsons to share with them the greatness of each player.. I'm gonna list a bunch of Cowboys, and you tell me what ONE game from each of them you would choose to show your grandsons.. Choose as many or as few of these Cowboys as you'd like..

Roger Staubach -- his last regular season game in 1979 vs the Commanders, the 35-34 (i think that's right) comeback. i was about 20 years old. we had to go to church. i missed the last 10 minutes of the game.

it's funny, because the win against the Commanders put the cowboys in the playoffs. roger's last game of his career was that same year in the playoffs vs the Rams. he completed his last pass to guard Herb Scott (for a penalty, of course). not one of his sterling performances...

joseephuss

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith--At Philly 1991, rushed for a team record or MNF at Atlanta 1992
Roger Staubach--1979 home against Commanders, final regular season game of his career
Roy Williams--2002 game at Commanders to end season
Michael Irvin--1991 game at Washington
Bob Lilly--I am too young to remember him playing
Deion Sanders--1998(I think) where he returned a punt and interception for TDs against the Giants on MNF
Randy White--Can't think of a defining game.
Tony Dorsett--Any game where he had a long TD. They were always a thing of beauty
Troy Aikman--Superbowl 27 or really any of the playoffs during those SB years
Larry Allen--1994 at New Orleans when as a rookie he chased down a linebacker after an interception
Drew Pearson--Other than the Hail Mary, Drew's games don't stick out. Maybe a game where he throws the ball off of a reverse. Those were fun to watch.
Bob Hayes--too young
Jay Novacek--KC on turkey day when he hurdled the defender to score
Daryl Johnston--nothing
Darren Woodson--Any game and watch him tackle. The best.

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith Opening game on MNF vs Giants in 1995, Emmitt blows through
a gaping hole up the middle, sprints 60 some yards & waves buh bye to NYG DB

Roger Staubach - 1975 Hail Mary game vs Minnesota, hits Drew Pearson
for a 50 yd TD to win 17-14

Roy Williams - 2005 at Eagles, RW intercepts & scores will BJames finishes
McFlabb

Michael Irvin - Opening day 1997 vs Steelers in Pittsburgh Cowboys Win 37-7
Irvin was huge.

Bob Lilly - SB VI, Lilly sacks Bob Griese for a 29 yard loss

Deion Sanders - Monday Night Football vs Giants, Deion scores 3 TDs

Randy White - SB XII Co-MVP

Tony Dorsett - 1980 NFC Championship Game vs Rams, had huge game

Troy Aikman - SB XXVII, Aikman was magnificent

Larry Allen - NFC Championship Game in Jan 1996, after 1995 season vs
Packers, Larry Allen destroyed everything in his path, including Reggie White
I remember when LA could pull!

Drew Pearson - Hail Mary Game vs Minn

Bob Hayes - 1966 NFL Championship Game vs Packers

Jay Novacek 1995 regular season game vs Chiefs, Novacek literaaly hurdles
a Chief DB on his way to a 1st down deep in red zone

Daryl Johnston - 1993 NFC Champ. game vs

Darren Woodson - 1994 vs Philly where he had a long int for 6

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
For Larry Allen, it would be the Monday night New Orleans game when Darrion Conner intercepted Troy's pass and was streaking down the sideline. Here comes Larry, running like a freakin RB and runs down Conner from behind. Dan Dierdorf (sp?) who was helpin announce the game went ape doo-doo over Allen on that play.

For Troy, it would have to be the NFC Championship game that Dallas lost when Switzer was the coach. We got behind early and Troy had to play catch-up all day. Emmitt was pretty much taken out of the equation and Troy threw all day long. He really showed what he could do in that game because we threw, threw, threw. It was a gutsy perfomance by Aikman who was hit a lot that day and yet still almost brought us back to win the game. It'd be 4 super bowls in a row had he managed to win that one.

For Emmitt, I think it would be the wet, rainy game in Philly where he rushed for like 230 yards that day. The field at the old Vet was very slippery and everyone else was sliding all over the place. Emmitt though, has always been a "mudder" and he would just cut at will. All the defenders would slide down as soon as he made his cut, but not Emmitt... his low center of gravity helped him stay upright and he ran Philly into submission that day.

For Irvin... I'm not sure. A lot of good games but none truly stand out to me above the others. Maybe super bowl 27... But to show my grandkids what kind of player Irvin was, I'd like them to see in 91 when he came back from his knee injury and a year away from the game he loved... I'd have the grandkids see Michael's first day at Training camp after his injury. He walked out on the field, knelt down and kissed the field... and meant it. He missed the game that much and he was just that happy to get back to playing his passion. He never looked back after that and was one of the dominating WR's in football for nearly a decade. What heart that guy had.

That's all I have time for now... gotta work.
I love your post, I really do, but I think I'd have to disagree with the Troy pick.. and I really could be wrong here, someone correct me if I am please, but didn't Troy throw a dumb INT and maybe even fumble the ball or throw another INT early in the game, which is what got us so far behind in the first place? I seriously have tried blocking that game out of my mind, so I dont remember..

joseephuss

Reaction score
Alexander said:
He was just terrible in Super Bowl XII.

Thanks I needed that slap in my face to wake me up. :p:

I barely remember that game. Of course I have seen the highlights, but I was a young kid at the time. I remember them winning the game over who played well.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
So let's pretend like you are an old, old grandpa.. You are sitting with your two young grandsons, telling them of days gone by..

Has there been a CBZ joke yet? If not, I'd be glad to add one to this thread.

joseephuss

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
I love your post, I really do, but I think I'd have to disagree with the Troy pick.. and I really could be wrong here, someone correct me if I am please, but didn't Troy throw a dumb INT and maybe even fumble the ball or throw another INT early in the game, which is what got us so far behind in the first place? I seriously have tried blocking that game out of my mind, so I dont remember..

Troy threw an early pick that was returned for a TD. Irvin fumbled a ball and Kevin Williams(someone I was never a fan of) fumbled a kick off return. Those three turnovers led to early scores for San Fran.

Aikman later threw a pick to Deion that looked like he might be just trying to throw the ball away. It seemed like a bad decision because he didn't throw it far enough. Aikman showed a lot of grit in that game, but his early mistake as well as that of several other guys hurt the team. So did not having a healthy Emmitt or rookie Larry Allen and missing Erik Williams because of his dumb decision off the field.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Tom Landry - January 1976 NFC Championship game vs. the Rams - He was at the top of his game and it was perhaps the single most beautiful game the Cowboys have ever played.

Roger Staubach - Two more games in addition to the one mentioned above:

December 1972 - first heroic comeback (divisional playoff game vs. 49ers). I'd show the entire game even though Staubach didn't play in most of it, just to show how utterly hopeless the situation was.

His last regular season game vs. the Commanders.

Emmitt Smith - The NY shoulder game.

Honorable mention: His drive during the second half of his second Super Bowl.

Aikman and Irvin - Their first Super Bowl.

Bob Lilly - I was only a kid at the time. I knew that Lilly was widely recognized as a great player, but the first time I was able to recognize it for myself was during a regular season game vs. the Eagles. 1969, I think.

Deion Sanders - NY monday night game.

Randy White - the Broncos Super Bowl.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
EMMITTnROY said:
So let's pretend like you are an old, old grandpa.. You are sitting with your two young grandsons, telling them of days gone by.. You start to tell them about the great Dallas Cowboys players of the past.. If you had a magical video tape that had ONE game recorded on this tape from all your favorite Cowboys, what ONE game from each of them would you choose? ONE game to show your grandsons to share with them the greatness of each player.. I'm gonna list a bunch of Cowboys, and you tell me what ONE game from each of them you would choose to show your grandsons.. Choose as many or as few of these Cowboys as you'd like..

Emmitt Smith:
Would have to be the separated shoulder game against the Giants.

Roger Staubach:
I'm thinkin some of game against the Falcons. I was really too young to remember it much, but (if memory serves at all) the Cowboy were down by like 21 points with 46 seconds left and Roger pulled it out. I'd lke the tape of that game just so I could remember it myself.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Roger in the SF comeback game.

Any power sweep right involving Calvin Hill hurdling players.

Emmitt's shoulder game.

Dorsett's 99 yd MNF run

Bob Lilly, on the heels of a pulling guard....many times:)

So many, so little time:)

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Erik_H said:
Emmitt Smith:
Would have to be the separated shoulder game against the Giants.

Roger Staubach:
I'm thinkin some of game against the Falcons. I was really too young to remember it much, but (if memory serves at all) the Cowboy were down by like 21 points with 46 seconds left and Roger pulled it out. I'd lke the tape of that game just so I could remember it myself.

He was good...but not that good.

Tony Dorsett vs Commanders Monday night, Cowboys down big at halftime. Tony's big run to spark the 2nd half comeback and eventual win will be best remembered with Darrell Green finally running him down from behind.

Randy White- I don't personally remember the game, but his video highlight of being 5 yards deep in the Philadelphia? backfield, and on the opposite side as their RB turned the corner and took off on a long run downfield.....only to be run down by Randy White.

Other- Roger in the 49er playoff comeback- quite possibly the first time I recognized him and those Cowboys as being 'down, but never out'.