It's time to call out Tony Romo about his stat-padding at the end of games

iceman117

Reaction score
Romo's fault Dez,Harris and Witten dropped easy catches on 3 rd down on three separate drives around mid field (witten would have put us at their 25) aka drive killers. Also Romo's fault the defense couldn't stop them out get off the field in SD's last 5 or 6 drives..... Times of possession was lopsided.... All Tony Romo's fault. Never Witten or Ware who played way worse than Romo. I'm so tired of Cowboys fans and their idiotic theories.

Romo is padding stats?? Have you watched any other game in the NFL, that's what happens at the end of games when a team is up by two scores.... Prevent defense means prevent the big play, so the people who are agreeing with the opening post are just a ignorant as he is.... I love that he brought up the Seattle game which we got blown out in... Romo should have thrown that pass where you get 21 points for 1 completion... Wait no such thing.... Or against the Chiefs where he should have got out there on defense and stopped the Chiefs offense instead of letting them hold the ball the last 5 mins + of the game.

What are you guys talking about. Is Romo great? No but he is just as good as any other QB in the league outside of the top 5 or 6.... This team is just inconsistent, all around, Romo included, but to blame him for this teams problems and accuse him of padding stats is very ignorant .... The mediocre play started way before romo was in the picture..... Over the last 260 games dallas is 130-130, only reason we have a .500 record is because of Romo just look at his record as a starter.

Cebrin

Reaction score
so you agree with the OP? he didn't throw down the field to avoid that type of criticism?

No, I don't think he avoided it for the criticism. It shouldn't have come to that either. We averaged 5.8 yds per rushing attempt with 16 attempts. We should have kept running the ball to keep Phillips off the field because, our defense wasn't going to do it. It was a poorly coached game. We averaged more yards per carry than pass yards per attempt. The offensive game plan was stupid. They thought after The Rams game that our DL was going to have the same presence I guess. Even still, how do you not have a back up plan? It seems like they have an idea going in to the game and that's all they're going to do. Our defense was just awful!

CowboysLegend365

Reaction score
Yeah, he throws a hail mary, it's picked off and the threads would be "Same old Romo, making stupid decisions and throwing interceptions." The dude can't get a break.

SMART fans know the difference between a "give my team a chance so I'll throw it out there" interception and the typical "game on the line unclutch" interception. I doubt anybody would be half as upset at Romo for a Hail Mary pic opposed to 4th quarter game winning drive interception. There is a difference.

Reactions: Ren

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
so you agree with the OP? he didn't throw down the field to avoid that type of criticism?

If you believe that, you're just plain ignorant or on one of your usual "I hate Romo" trolls. I believe it's the latter.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Look at the Patriots for example. They su
SMART fans know the difference between a "give my team a chance so I'll throw it out there" interception and the typical "game on the line unclutch" interception. I doubt anybody would be half as upset at Romo for a Hail Mary pic opposed to 4th quarter game winning drive interception. There is a difference.

Unfortunately, if Dallas had smart fans, there wouldn't be any questioning Tony Romo in the first place.

CowboysLegend365

Reaction score
Look at the Patriots for example. They su

Unfortunately, if Dallas had smart fans, there wouldn't be any questioning Tony Romo in the first place.

For a guy that gas pretty much cemented his status as unclutch especially in crucial situations, I don't see why not.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo's fault Dez,Harris and Witten dropped easy catches on 3 rd down on three separate drives around mid field (witten would have put us at their 25) aka drive killers.
Some don't realize that other than those three dropped pass drives, Dallas only punted two other times the entire game.

Cebrin

Reaction score
For a guy that gas pretty much cemented his status as unclutch especially in crucial situations, I don't see why not.

Saying Tony isn't clutch is just plain ignorant. Romo has the highest 4th quarter QB rating in the NFL since 2000. Also, his passer rating is higher in December and January than any other month. Not clutch? He led 9 fourth quarter come backs since 2011, 2nd to only Eli Manning at 10. Nine game winning drives, 3rd to only Eli and Matt Ryan. Since 2011, He's 9/11 in game winning drive opportunities. Last year, the only reason we made it to a do or die with Washington was a league leading 5 comeback wins in the fourth quarter by Tony Romo. Does anyone actually watch these games?!! He did everything with in his power to give us a shot last year, while our defense pissed it away. I'm not saying the guy is without fault. I just wish people would find something else to cry about other than Tony Romo. He clearly is not the reason this football team can't get it done.

btcutter

Reaction score

Sorry, this statement pretty much cement your status as a casual fan who listens to Mediots. Romo has led as many come back as top tier QBs in the last few year. It would probably be more if our D didn't blown a few. Has Romo lost a few games for us..yes but that doesn't make him unclutch.

Ring Leader

Reaction score

His interception against the Giants in the 2007 playoffs on 4th down and forever - with time running out is still, unbelievably, a cornerstone un-clutch Romo moment for many of our intellectually challenged posters.

CowboysLegend365

Reaction score
Saying Tony isn't clutch is just plain ignorant. Romo has the highest 4th quarter QB rating in the NFL since 2000.
Sorry, this statement pretty much cement your status as a casual fan who listens to Mediots.

LOL. Relax fellas. Im 100% sure i watch just as much football than anyone that uses this message board. Trust me. Anyway, I used to be you. Throwing out all these statistics as to why Tony was not the sole person responsible for our shortcomings. The passer rating, the game winning drives, all that. The Washington game last year pretty much brought me to a standstill. Don't get me wrong, this team would be in a hell of a lot more trouble if he wasn't the QB. He is above average. But in win or go home games, (idk the career record) I no longer feel comfortable with him. It's just something that he's built, its hard because he's always under the microscope, especially with being the QB of Americas Team. I hope just as much as anyone else that he changes that and puts on a Flacco like playoff performance and leads us straight to New York.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
This is a cool post! The Anti-Romo stans are having a good laugh at the expense of a QB that they should root for.

If only the Cowboys had a real QB. :(

Deep_South

Reaction score
This is a cool post! The Anti-Romo stans are having a good laugh at the expense of a QB that they should root for.

If only the Cowboys had a real QB. :(

Josh Freeman is available. Maybe we could trade Romo to Tampa Bay for a 6th and sign him. He could be here in time for Denver on Sunday!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
His interception against the Giants in the 2007 playoffs on 4th down and forever - with time running out is still, unbelievably, a cornerstone un-clutch Romo moment for many of our intellectually challenged posters.

That's a very good example. People point to that one as an unclutch moment when there was nothing to lose and everything to gain in attempting to get it to Glenn at that point.

If he threw deep with Dallas backed up in its territory in a comeback attempt and it was intercepted, people would be calling for his head on a stick (although they already are because apparently he's not throwing enough interceptions this season).

Cebrin

Reaction score
LOL. Relax fellas. Im 100% sure i watch just as much football than anyone that uses this message board. Trust me. Anyway, I used to be you. Throwing out all these statistics as to why Tony was not the sole person responsible for our shortcomings. The passer rating, the game winning drives, all that. The Washington game last year pretty much brought me to a standstill. Don't get me wrong, this team would be in a hell of a lot more trouble if he wasn't the QB. He is above average. But in win or go home games, (idk the career record) I no longer feel comfortable with him. It's just something that he's built, its hard because he's always under the microscope, especially with being the QB of Americas Team. I hope just as much as anyone else that he changes that and puts on a Flacco like playoff performance and leads us straight to New York.

I suppose having a Pro Bowl running back by the name of Ray Rice (Not to forget the FB Vonte Leach also Pro Bowled that year) who was named to the second Pro Bowl of his four-year career didn't help Flacco look good (Who I remember many saying was a bum and couldn't get it done allllll the way up to this one season). Rice had a league-high 1,869 scrimmage yards and was third in the AFC with 1,173 rushing yards. 1st in RB receiving yards and second in receptions among all running backs. He became the second player in NFL history to record multiple seasons with at least 1,000 rushing and 700 receiving yards. Just his presence alone makes throwing the ball easier. Not Dallas. Murray has yet to prove himself consistent or any kind of red zone threat. You can guarantee that 9/10 times we're passing in the red zone and every defense knows it. We need more red zone production from Murray and Witten. We need our D to quit playing prevent defense and man up. Lots of problems with this team right now. Aside from the bone headed rookie fumble that T Williams had late in the game, I was really impressed with him as it seems he is consistently getting better every game. Lets hope for some positives in the Denver game.

CowboysLegend365

Reaction score
I suppose having a Pro Bowl running back by the name of Ray Rice (Not to forget the FB Vonte Leach also Pro Bowled that year) who was named to the second Pro Bowl of his four-year career didn't help Flacco look good (Who I remember many saying was a bum and couldn't get it done allllll the way up to this one season). Rice had a league-high 1,869 scrimmage yards and was third in the AFC with 1,173 rushing yards. 1st in RB receiving yards and second in receptions among all running backs. He became the second player in NFL history to record multiple seasons with at least 1,000 rushing and 700 receiving yards. Just his presence alone makes throwing the ball easier. Not Dallas. Murray has yet to prove himself consistent or any kind of red zone threat.

I understand all of this, unfortunately when his career is over people won't say "he didn't have Ray Rice or so and so, they WILL say he had Witten, Bryant, & others. Romo will only be judged only on what he has, not what he doesn't. We just have to find a way to put what we have all together and get in a Super Bowl. And that goes for the coaching staff, down to the rest of the squad.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Josh Freeman is available. Maybe we could trade Romo to Tampa Bay for a 6th and sign him. He could be here in time for Denver on Sunday!

Bring Freeman in here and let him play a few games. Then let's see how long it takes before those anti-Romo fans change their tune.

Cebrin

Reaction score
I understand all of this, unfortunately when his career is over people won't say "he didn't have Ray Rice or so and so, they WILL say he had Witten, Bryant, & others. Romo will only be judged only on what he has, not what he doesn't. We just have to find a way to put what we have all together and get in a Super Bowl. And that goes for the coaching staff, down to the rest of the squad.

That's my point. I couldn't care less and it goes back to my original point. People are stupid. Witten, Bryant and "others." The others are easily forgettable. Lol, even your subconscious agrees with me. He doesn't have the tools. Agreed though, we have to give him the pieces to succeed.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Some folks should just find a new hobby. Football isn't it. I hear sweater knitting is fun.