I've Been Trying to Figure Something Out

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Garrett is great at wearing the costume of a coach. He says all the rights things and sounds good in interviews but he hasn't coached enough to be a Head Coach in the NFL. His system is from a bygone era.

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
What ARE we building here?

It's the verb "building" that I think someone in the media needs to call Jason on. Yes, yes I know that Garrett uses 1000s of meaningless words and phrases that are meant to get him through a press conference or give his team explanations when things go wrong, but Jason appears it have hit a ceiling as a coach and leader a few years ago, maybe in his first year.

I just don't buy that there is anything intentionally being built. I don't buy that there is any foresight. I think Garrett just gets through each season trying to figure out what he was supposed to do.

What are the positive and long lasting effects of being coached by Jason?

Consider:

Who has really been developed? Romo had a solid year last year mainly because the running game relieved him of reps that would have in the past got him in trouble. He's not at all the QB that Parcells had envisioned him to be: gaining yards with his feet when the passing plays or protections fail. He's now a QB/coach who has to wait for slow receivers run patterns that the DBs know better than they do, elude blitzes when the opposing DCs recognize that 5 wide leaves Romo vulnerable, and somehow read and solve defenses at the line without his coach drawing up plays or weighing in to help.

Romo has probably had the most change other than DeMarco Murray but Jason did not design or call his plays.

Has TWilly become a better WR? Beasley? Dez? Hanna? Escobar?

Darren McFadden might be having the best year he has ever had, but the running game is not Jason's strength. Randle, Michaels, rod Smith, Turbin and DMC among others are rosterspot holders like a fifth corner or a kickoff gunner. What was the plan? I submit there was no plan and no clue what's happening next.

This passing offense has had many chances to evolve or become more intricate and has not - it has become more repetitive if anything with the only variation in the offense being the running game and maybe Lucky Whitehead or Laurent Robinson.

But what is the plan?

That the running game will become greater so that the passing game can be more selectively potent? I would love that to be the case but how has the mishandling of Murray and the odd handling of the RBs in the offseason shown that the running game is not part of "what we are doing here".

Christine Michael just had one of his best games in his career after going to another team, as did Weeden, Bennett became a better TE when he left, Brinkley better at LB, as did Harris at WR...etc

Who is being developed? What QB from McGee, to Cassel, to Weeden, to anyone, has been developed into a better player who gets better in Jason's coaching in time?

None.

Jason is like a 4th of July firework: anticipate its potential, see a little bit of temporary sparkle, see the burnout and lament ever buying something that that smell and the stain lasts longer than the display at its full strength.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Jason is like a 4th of July firework: anticipate its potential, see a little bit of temporary sparkle, see the burnout and lament ever buying something that that smell and the stain lasts longer than the display at its full strength.

Well done sir!