I've noticed a Brady-esque trait in Romo

Connection20

Reaction score
So late last night I decided to go back and watch my tapes of our preseason with the specific objective of deciding for myself once and for all if I think Romo has a future as a starter. Allow me to preface all of this by saying, no I dont think he will be or should be the starter this year.

There is one trait I noticed Tom Brady has that seperates him from almost every other QB on earth. I kinda think its a Weis thing because Ive noticed Brady Quinn has it too (maybe is a Brady thing). They both have an uncanny ability to move around in the pocket with little subtle moves to buy them time without ever taking thier eyes from downfield. Now, the last part of that is what seperates them. Lots of QBs move well in the pocket. But so few of them do it so subtly and keep thier eyes downfield the whole time. Ive noticed Romo has this same ability. It remains to be seen if Romo has the icy cool demeanor when the pressure is on.

As for my final conclusion on Romo. Ive officially hopped on the bandwagon. I love that he knows where hes going with football every time he drops back to pass. The ball comes out on time every time. He has command of this offense. I also love the way he manages the game. He throws a very accurate ball as well. Im in on Romo

ghst187

Reaction score
Connection20 said:
There is one trait I noticed Tom Brady has that seperates him from almost every other QB on earth. I kinda think its a Weis thing because Ive noticed Brady Quinn has it too (maybe is a Brady thing). They both have an uncanny ability to move around in the pocket with little subtle moves to buy them time without ever taking thier eyes from downfield. Now, the last part of that is what seperates them. Lots of QBs move well in the pocket. But so few of them do it so subtly and keep thier eyes downfield the whole time. Ive noticed Romo has this same ability. It remains to be seen if Romo has the icy cool demeanor when the pressure is on.

I haven't seen Romo play enough to notice this about him but I DEFINITELY noticed that about Brady and Quinn.
That's why, although a history of loathing Notre Dame, I rooted for them last year because I enjoyed watching Quinn so much, and seeing his sister in the stands. It is flat out amazing, like jiu-jitsu, how Quinn barely moves but avoids the rush and never takes his offs off the WRs downfield...stands in the pocket...and fires a rocket.
The kid has serious moxie...great arm strength, smart, throws a very accurate ball, is decently mobile, and has played under Weis for 2 seasons. I would give up a lot to get the chance to get him as our future QB. I think he's going to be the next superstar QB in the NFL a la Carson Palmer.

If we keep getting draft picks for guys we were going to cut anyway, perhaps we'll have enough ammo to trade that far up.
Give the guy a year to sit under Bledsoe and I think he'd tear up the league.

I do like Romo also but I don't have an opinion yet as to whether he can be a full time starter. I do hope that he can turn into a Delhomme and become a star.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I've liked Romo from day 1. I think he can be an old school "field general" (a term that used to be common). He's more than a bus driver, but less than an elite QB (like Palmer).

Would it be better to have an elite QB? Of course.

I don't see how the Cowboys could move up far enough in the draft to get Quinn, though. Maybe if Jerry Jones pulled a Ditka and traded away the entire draft for one player.... but that's an awfully steep price.

If we keep getting draft picks for guys we were going to cut anyway, perhaps we'll have enough ammo to trade that far up.

I do hope that the Cowboys will package some of their draft picks to move up next year - to get a high impact player at SOME position (not necessarily a QB).

The Cowboys are getting to the point where it is tough for promising and talented rookies to make the team. So if that's the situation, better to draft fewer, but higher quality guys, by trading for better picks.

yesfan

Reaction score
I really like Romo.I think he can be real good
QB in the NFL,but if the Boys could stockpile draftpicks
from this supposed intererest in their players,maybe they
can move up the board without compromising their draft.
...Yeah,i know maybe wishful thinking.

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
reality check time....

Truth is...

Romo isnt a very good QB. Right now..I dont want to see our team go 6-10.

For example: Do you remember the KC game last year? Do you really think Romo could have had the same performance that Bledsoe had?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Many QBs move in the pocket. Very few stay rooted to one spot and wait for the hits to come. All QBs are (or should be) on the balls of their feet and in motion so they can slip one way or the other and escape if need be.

This trait isn't unique to Tom Brady, Bradie Quinn, and Tony Romo. I'd say more QBs have this trait than don't. Does it help? Sure it does, but is it the link to success at QB? Nope.

Ultimately the trait that separates great QBs from good ones is leadership. Right now the unquestioned leader of this offense is Drew Bledsoe. There are good and bad things about that. The good outweigh the bad at this point. When that is no longer the case I suspect Tony Romo or another QB of the future will get the chance to show their stuff.

As it stands right now Tony Romo most reminds me of Chad Pennington of the Jets. Just like with Bledsoe, there are good and bad things about that. I think it is way too early to determine if the good or bad outweighs the other.

I think the similarities to Brady stop at the position they play, the fact both are/were backups at one point to Bledsoe, and their uniform numbers are divisible by 3. Maybe down the road we can add more similarities, but right now it's way too premature for this comparison.

gbrittain

Reaction score
I have noticed they both take the ball from under the center...I think Romo is on to Brady. J/K to the originall poster.

I like what Romo has done, he has carved himself out a career in the NFL. However, I am not sure what a career in the NFL means at this point for Romo.

Romo could end up being a lot of things, but I am not sure if anyone including BP knows exactly what that is.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
gbrittain said:
I have noticed they both take the ball from under the center...I think Romo is on to Brady. J/K to the originall poster.

I like what Romo has done, he has carved himself out a career in the NFL. However, I am not sure what a career in the NFL means at this point for Romo.

Romo could end up being a lot of things, but I am not sure if anyone including BP knows exactly what that is.

I think the most we know, is that right now, right now, "right now" being the key-word, Romo is our Jason Garrett

Angus

Reaction score
ZeroClub said:
I do hope that the Cowboys will package some of their draft picks to move up next year - to get a high impact player at SOME position (not necessarily a QB).

The Cowboys are getting to the point where it is tough for promising and talented rookies to make the team. So if that's the situation, better to draft fewer, but higher quality guys, by trading for better picks.

I'm not sure that is a good idea. It is in the later picks that Ireland and his scouts find unpolished diamonds for pennies. Popular selections at the top of the draft often are the result of unwarrented hype. There is no assurance that someone who intrigues the people who prepare mock drafts is really more likely to be NFL ready than others who do not get as much publicity. And the damage to the cap can be significant.

Angus

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I think the most we know, is that right now, right now, "right now" being the key-word, Romo is our Jason Garrett

I always liked Jason Garrett but never expected him to take over. It's different for Romo, in my estimation.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Angus said:
I always liked Jason Garrett but never expected him to take over. It's different for Romo, in my estimation.

I agree. Romo may not have the arm that Bledsoe has but I do think he has a better arm than Garrett did.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
guys, I think Romo may be more too, but there's nothing to justify that, so at the moment, I have to take it that Romo is a quality backup who could minimize the damage in case of an injury to Bledsoe, but for how long? I don't know, but I definitely think it would be for at least 2-4 games, those 2-4 games could tell us how far along he actually is

LD Fan

Reaction score
eduncan22 said:
reality check time....

Truth is...

Romo isnt a very good QB. Right now..I dont want to see our team go 6-10.

For example: Do you remember the KC game last year? Do you really think Romo could have had the same performance that Bledsoe had?

All the Romo talk is fun and anybody who doesn't feel good about how he has looked this preseason probably has a bias against him. The fact is, none of us know for sure how he would do as a full time starter. The smug people who proclaim he's no better than a career backup (ala Jason Garrett) are just using code to tell the rest of us we're not sophisticated enough to realize this is only the preseason. That's why they're all working in the NFL as scouts and coaches right? They are as big fools as the people who are positive he's the next franchise QB

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of last pre-season when we were discussing a comparison of Patrick Clayton and Jerry Rice.

And we make fun of Skins' fans for their burgandy colored glasses on their board? :)

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree. Romo may not have the arm that Bledsoe has but I do think he has a better arm than Garrett did.

Outside of the realm of internet messageboards, I've never see Romo's arm questioned. Has anyone in the Cowboys organization, or a beat writer that follows the team that might have access to people in the know, once expressed concerns about Romo's arm?

He sure seems to throw a lot of long completions for someone with a questionable arm.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Outside of the realm of internet messageboards, I've never see Romo's arm questioned. Has anyone in the Cowboys organization, or a beat writer that follows the team that might have access to people in the know, once expressed concerns about Romo's arm?

He sure seems to throw a lot of long completions for someone with a questionable arm.
Yes, IR, including me asking 3 of them personally.

If you wish, ask Dale or Parchy if he wows people with a big arm.

His accuracy is his big selling point.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
This thread reminds me of last pre-season when we were discussing a comparison of Patrick Clayton and Jerry Rice.

And we make fun of Skins' fans for their burgandy colored glasses on their board? :)
:hammer:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:

I think most reasonable people are able to notice the difference between the statement "He has some traits that remind me of someone" and saying they are the exact equivalent.

If someone were to say that Chad Hutchinson or Drew Henson has an Elway or Favre like arm, I would not conclude that you were saying this guy is the next John Elway. You're just saying he has a very strong arm.