I've noticed a Brady-esque trait in Romo

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Outside of the realm of internet messageboards, I've never see Romo's arm questioned. Has anyone in the Cowboys organization, or a beat writer that follows the team that might have access to people in the know, once expressed concerns about Romo's arm?

He sure seems to throw a lot of long completions for someone with a questionable arm.

No one has said it's "questionable". That word, it seems to me, carries with it the connotation that it isn't good enough to play in the NFL. I've never read anyone say that. What I and some others have said is that he doesn't have a great arm. I would say he has a decent arm but there are some throws he doesn't have the arm strength to try without getting into trouble.

I agree that a lot of his throws look good and his accuracy has been good, but I saw a couple of throws the other night where it was plain to see that he doesn't have the gun that the top guys have. I wish I would have noted the time of the game and I would give them to you.

That's not a knock on Romo. It's just a fact. He could turn out to be a fine player for us. Brees and Delhomme don't have rocket arms.

Luther

I am who they thought I was!
Reaction score
Comparing Romo to Garrett:

I always feared for Garrett to come into a game. I will look forward to some excitement for Romo to come into a game. I think most of you share that feeling.

Keep in mind, I like Bledsoe.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I think most reasonable people are able to notice the difference between the statement "He has some traits that remind me of someone" and saying they are the exact equivalent.

If someone were to say that Chad Hutchinson or Drew Henson has an Elway or Favre like arm, I would not conclude that you were saying this guy is the next John Elway. You're just saying he has a very strong arm.

I agree, I didn't mean it as ridicule. Sorry if it was taken that way.

It's just for a long time there have been a lot of threads with comparisons of Romo to the ALL-TIME greats.

fortdick

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Many QBs move in the pocket. Very few stay rooted to one spot and wait for the hits to come. All QBs are (or should be) on the balls of their feet and in motion so they can slip one way or the other and escape if need be.

This trait isn't unique to Tom Brady, Bradie Quinn, and Tony Romo. I'd say more QBs have this trait than don't. Does it help? Sure it does, but is it the link to success at QB? Nope.

Ultimately the trait that separates great QBs from good ones is leadership. Right now the unquestioned leader of this offense is Drew Bledsoe. There are good and bad things about that. The good outweigh the bad at this point. When that is no longer the case I suspect Tony Romo or another QB of the future will get the chance to show their stuff.

As it stands right now Tony Romo most reminds me of Chad Pennington of the Jets. Just like with Bledsoe, there are good and bad things about that. I think it is way too early to determine if the good or bad outweighs the other.

I think the similarities to Brady stop at the position they play, the fact both are/were backups at one point to Bledsoe, and their uniform numbers are divisible by 3. Maybe down the road we can add more similarities, but right now it's way too premature for this comparison.

I hate it when Hos makes sense. :D

Connection20

Reaction score
wow.....does anyone actaully read anymore? Or do you guys just respond to thread titles? No, I didnt say he was a Tom Brady clone, I said he has one of his traits. No, I didnt say I think he should be the starter this year. In fact, I went out of my way to say I dont think he should be.

Hos, bro your crazy if you think all NFL QBs have the same innate ability to move in the pocket and never take thier eyes from downfield that Brady and Quinn have. I watch as much or more football as anyone on this board I promise you, and there have been a grand total of 3 QBs that stick out like a sore thumb when it comes to this. Brady, Quinn, Romo. Romo isnt as deft and subtle about it as the other two. I think alot of that has to do with our line though, and Romos decisveness. Brady and Quinn sit in the pocket alot and let things develop downfield (ala Bledsoe) but thier little subtle moves while never taking thier eyes from downfield allow them to do so without being sacked (anti Bledsoe). Our OL seems to either win or lose at pass protection instantly upon the snap of the ball. Either they let one or more people come free, or they get thier hands on everyone and the pass gets thrown. Romo on multiple occasions this preseason has been under instant pressure upon the snap of the ball, and not only dodged it, but still had his eyes downfield and the ball came out, with accuracy and on time immedeatly after he dodged the blitzer.

Once again, Im NOT annointing him our starter. Yes, I think he has a chance to be a good NFL QB with what I have seen. Guys, please read the post before pushing your auto response buttons

Angus

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
I agree, I didn't mean it as ridicule. Sorry if it was taken that way.

It's just for a long time there have been a lot of threads with comparisons of Romo to the ALL-TIME greats.

CaptainAmerica, I don't mean to rag on you, but nobody knew that Roger Staubach would be an ALL-TIME great when he was an understudy to Morton. I met him informally during that time in a department store setting with nobody else around and was able to discuss the situation with him. He certainly was not a Hall of Famer then - not even Roger the Dodger. He was just the promising back-up who wanted to prove he could be more. And I thought he could be, even then.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Connection20 said:
So late last night I decided to go back and watch my tapes of our preseason with the specific objective of deciding for myself once and for all if I think Romo has a future as a starter. Allow me to preface all of this by saying, no I dont think he will be or should be the starter this year.

There is one trait I noticed Tom Brady has that seperates him from almost every other QB on earth. I kinda think its a Weis thing because Ive noticed Brady Quinn has it too (maybe is a Brady thing). They both have an uncanny ability to move around in the pocket with little subtle moves to buy them time without ever taking thier eyes from downfield. Now, the last part of that is what seperates them. Lots of QBs move well in the pocket. But so few of them do it so subtly and keep thier eyes downfield the whole time. Ive noticed Romo has this same ability. It remains to be seen if Romo has the icy cool demeanor when the pressure is on.

As for my final conclusion on Romo. Ive officially hopped on the bandwagon. I love that he knows where hes going with football every time he drops back to pass. The ball comes out on time every time. He has command of this offense. I also love the way he manages the game. He throws a very accurate ball as well. Im in on Romo

Ben Roethlisberger has it too. I still remember his first game against the Cowboys. I guess it was his third game ever in the pros. Boy has some natural instincts you just can't teach. As much as I support Romo, not ready to say he has their abilities, but he does possess a pocket presence that Bledsoe simply doesn't have. Bledsoe freezes, Romo moves, and not like a Vick, he just knows when to get out of the way. Those are the QBs I like, if the arm is good enough, we can get by without a rifle. Enough experence and he'll be able to read the defenses. But you can't teach those surival instincts that some QBs simply don't have.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I think the most we know, is that right now, right now, "right now" being the key-word, Romo is our Jason Garrett
Romo has a stronger arm than Garrett and he's way more accurate than Jason was, IMO.

I think Romo can be a starter in this league, but I don't know if it's here or not. I will say this though, if Romo plays a ton tonight and shines big time, if the Cowboys are looking to move up in the draft next year, he will become the first piece of trade bait.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Connection20 said:
wow.....does anyone actaully read anymore? Or do you guys just respond to thread titles? No, I didnt say he was a Tom Brady clone, I said he has one of his traits. No, I didnt say I think he should be the starter this year. In fact, I went out of my way to say I dont think he should be.

Hos, bro your crazy if you think all NFL QBs have the same innate ability to move in the pocket and never take thier eyes from downfield that Brady and Quinn have. I watch as much or more football as anyone on this board I promise you, and there have been a grand total of 3 QBs that stick out like a sore thumb when it comes to this. Brady, Quinn, Romo. Romo isnt as deft and subtle about it as the other two. I think alot of that has to do with our line though, and Romos decisveness. Brady and Quinn sit in the pocket alot and let things develop downfield (ala Bledsoe) but thier little subtle moves while never taking thier eyes from downfield allow them to do so without being sacked (anti Bledsoe). Our OL seems to either win or lose at pass protection instantly upon the snap of the ball. Either they let one or more people come free, or they get thier hands on everyone and the pass gets thrown. Romo on multiple occasions this preseason has been under instant pressure upon the snap of the ball, and not only dodged it, but still had his eyes downfield and the ball came out, with accuracy and on time immedeatly after he dodged the blitzer.

Once again, Im NOT annointing him our starter. Yes, I think he has a chance to be a good NFL QB with what I have seen. Guys, please read the post before pushing your auto response buttons

It's not an auto response it's just so many people post something discussing a Romo quality and almost invariably tie Romo to the name of an ALL-TIME great QB.

I understand your post and you are correct that the subtle movement in the pocket is a key for Brady. The announcers discuss it quite often. Also, I have mentioned "pocket presence" as one of Romo's strengths in earlier posts.

It's just the cumulative effect for the past few weeks of so many annointing Romo as the next Favre, Romo, Roger, etc.

wileedog

Reaction score
Clove said:
I think Romo can be a starter in this league, but I don't know if it's here or not. I will say this though, if Romo plays a ton tonight and shines big time, if the Cowboys are looking to move up in the draft next year, he will become the first piece of trade bait.

Why would the Cowboys spend 4 years developing Romo to a point where he just might be starting material only to trade him away to move up in the draft for an unknown?

Plus they would have to sign him to an extension first anyway.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Outside of the realm of internet messageboards, I've never see Romo's arm questioned. Has anyone in the Cowboys organization, or a beat writer that follows the team that might have access to people in the know, once expressed concerns about Romo's arm?

He sure seems to throw a lot of long completions for someone with a questionable arm.

I agree. To say he has a weaker arm that some QB in the league I think is true however I think he has a strong enough arm to be a starter one day. You never really know until you get out there and prove yourself and while I hope that happens one day I hope it is not this year.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
wileedog said:
Why would the Cowboys spend 4 years developing Romo to a point where he just might be starting material only to trade him away to move up in the draft for an unknown?

Plus they would have to sign him to an extension first anyway.
Those are called options. They will have options. Personally, I would keep Romo and start him next year, or atleast have him battle it out with Bledsoe, and if he wins the job, trade Bledsoe.

You're not going to keep 2 good QB's on the roster for long.

wileedog

Reaction score
Clove said:
Those are called options. They will have options. Personally, I would keep Romo and start him next year, or atleast have him battle it out with Bledsoe, and if he wins the job, trade Bledsoe.

You're not going to keep 2 good QB's on the roster for long.

You're not going to keep a 35 year old QB on the roster for long.

LD Fan

Reaction score
wileedog said:

I believe Bledsoe has made pretty strong statements that he'll retire when he doesn't start. Depending on the size of a new contract Romo may sign, if he were good enough to earn the starting spot next year having Bledsoe on the bench would be ideal. There's no way Romo gets a mega-deal at this point so you could afford to have both.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
wileedog said:
Unless that 35 year old just posted sick numbers and won you a Super Bowl. ;)

wileedog

Reaction score
Clove said:
Unless that 35 year old just posted sick numbers and won you a Super Bowl. ;)
Even if he does, how long are you going to keep running him out there?

Always better to let go of someone a year early than a year late.