Jace Sternberger

The Realist

Reaction score
I see people talking about this guy in 4th or 5th round. I think 99% of people would be livid if we took him at 58 and most would be upset in round 3.

My question is since when do TE’s who put up 48 catches, 17.3 avg., and 10 TD’s in the SEC go in 4th or 5th round?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I see people talking about this guy in 4th or 5th round. I think 99% of people would be livid if we took him at 58 and most would be upset in round 3.

My question is since when do TE’s who put up 48 catches, 17.3 avg., and 10 TD’s in the SEC go in 4th or 5th round?

I don't think he lasts that long, but if he does it likely will have something to do with him only having one year of production. And someone would have to tell me how good of a blocker he is, I don't know but that could also lead to him being taken later.

fansince68

Reaction score
With a different OC and scheme we may already have our TE on the roster. Add in some off season polish by Dak. We bout lost our minds when Rico dropped that pass. All receivers drop passes. The fact that they rarely threw to him made it stand out. I personally dont think we need to draft a TE if we are not going to utilize him.

The Realist

Reaction score
With a different OC and scheme we may already have our TE on the roster. Add in some off season polish by Dak. We bout lost our minds when Rico dropped that pass. All receivers drop passes. The fact that they rarely threw to him made it stand out. I personally dont think we need to draft a TE if we are not going to utilize him.

I’m torn on drafting a TE early. Witten hasn’t 35 and 1 his rookie year. Jarwin has 27 and 3. How much improvement do we see from him next year. A young QB’s best friend is a good TE, but just a guy. With our RZ issues we need a really good one.

fansince68

Reaction score
I’m torn on drafting a TE early. Witten hasn’t 35 and 1 his rookie year. Jarwin has 27 and 3. How much improvement do we see from him next year. A young QB’s best friend is a good TE, but just a guy. With our RZ issues we need a really good one.
I think a through film study by the eventual OC can reveal if we really need a TE or not. How many times in the RZ was the TE open but didn't receive the pass? How many RZ passes to the TE are even attempted for that matter?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think a through film study by the eventual OC can reveal if we really need a TE or not. How many times in the RZ was the TE open but didn't receive the pass? How many RZ passes to the TE are even attempted for that matter?

We need an expert opinion on whether we need a TE or not.

Mr_437

Reaction score

I think he'll test good at the combine, also depends on if a certain team needs a recieving TE. DAL has a recieving TE in Jarwin, so I think they'd lean more to an in-line guy.

Dude shouldn't last past the 3rd round, rn.

cowboyec

Reaction score
TEs I like:
Irv Smith,bama
Kaden Smith,Stanford
CJ Conrad,Kentucky
Drew Sample,Washington
Kendal Blanton,Mizzou

if we can't/don't land one of the Smith's....I hope we get Sample or Conrad,personally.
I think the Iowa Twins will go bottom of 1st or early 2nd.
One of the Smith's could be there in the 2nd.
Drew,Conrad and Blanton would/could be options later.

Hardline

Reaction score
Walter football had him as their highest ranked TE at one point,
Not that Walter Football is the gospel.

I know we have no shot at the top three

Beaker42

Reaction score
I don't think he lasts that long, but if he does it likely will have something to do with him only having one year of production. And someone would have to tell me how good of a blocker he is, I don't know but that could also lead to him being taken later.
How good of a blocker is Gronk. Ebron? Ertz? I want a TE who can stretch the field. AND score TD’s, something ours didn’t do until the Giants game. If your O-line is good enough and your OC creative enough, your TE doesn’t need to block.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Dude's pretty good. He'll go Round 3 prolly at the latest, unless he really disappoints at the Combine.

DanA

Reaction score
How good of a blocker is Gronk. Ebron? Ertz? I want a TE who can stretch the field. AND score TD’s, something ours didn’t do until the Giants game. If your O-line is good enough and your OC creative enough, your TE doesn’t need to block.

Gronk is the best blocking TE in football. Ebron is not bad either, but there are plenty that have made huge contribution without being good blockers. Personally, with Zeke and Dak, I want a TE that blocks as well as catches the ball.

With respect to Sternberger. He’s a steal in the 4th, genuine consideration in the 3rd and not far off the 2nd.

DanA

Reaction score
Pro:
- Great hands catching
- Excellent toughness/effort on every play
- Good speed and fluid athlete
- Gets rack using his fluidity, stiff arm and speed. Secures the ball well

Con:
- Not a technician in any phase
- Average route runner, rounds routes, doesn't sell a move well
- Average/poor hand use, good effort blocker but bad hand use

I suspect he's a middling athlete that plays at full tilt so looks faster than he is. Still pretty good but not a freakshow like some of the guys we've seen come out recently. Solid 3rd rounder IMO, but the effort on the field every play is impressive.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’m a fan. I’m not sure he’s going to test out like a freak athlete, but dude had a heck ifnyrar and produced in arguably the best conference in football.

He’s got room to grow as a route runner so untapped potential as well.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Pro:
- Great hands catching
- Excellent toughness/effort on every play
- Good speed and fluid athlete
- Gets rack using his fluidity, stiff arm and speed. Secures the ball well

Con:
- Not a technician in any phase
- Average route runner, rounds routes, doesn't sell a move well
- Average/poor hand use, good effort blocker but bad hand use

I suspect he's a middling athlete that plays at full tilt so looks faster than he is. Still pretty good but not a freakshow like some of the guys we've seen come out recently. Solid 3rd rounder IMO, but the effort on the field every play is impressive.

Thanks for sharing this.

Haven't watched Sternberger yet, but my fear is on paper, this kind of sounds like Dalton Schultz. Dude was a alright athlete, more fluid than explosive, who basically made his name on effort at Stanford. Wasn't impressed with him at all as a rookie.

In general, I'm kind of skeptical of those skinny 4.7 kind of TEs like Escobar or Schultz - different skillsets, but similar frames. Their frame makes it tough to block at the Y and they don't really have the size or speed to beat LBs in coverage. Effort counts for a lot, especially with blocking, but it only takes a player so far on its own.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this.

Haven't watched Sternberger yet, but my fear is on paper, this kind of sounds like Dalton Schultz. Dude was a alright athlete, more fluid than explosive, who basically made his name on effort at Stanford. Wasn't impressed with him at all as a rookie.

In general, I'm kind of skeptical of those skinny 4.7 kind of TEs like Escobar or Schultz - different skillsets, but similar frames. Their frame makes it tough to block at the Y and they don't really have the size or speed to beat LBs in coverage. Effort counts for a lot, especially with blocking, but it only takes a player so far on its own.

Difference is Jace scored 10 TDS in th the SEC.

garyv

Reaction score
Here is my big question is he that much better than Jarwin and what we currently have ?

DanA

Reaction score
Here is my big question is he that much better than Jarwin and what we currently have ?

He’s much better than anything after Jarwin and I’m not sure what we have in Jarwin just yet. He flashed and am hoping he kicks on but that’s not a given IMO.