Jacob Rogers Question (Seriously)

AbeBeta

Reaction score
This off-season we heard that Jacob Rogers would be invited to camp. Then he was cut -- around the time we signed Fabini. So most folks assumed he wouldn't be in camp. However, I'm not so sure.

Much of the argument from the writers focuses on the fact that it would cost a little less against the cap to keep him (not much less though). So the reasoning is if we wanted him in camp, it would make more financial sense to keep him under his rookie contract.

However, I think that is not correct thinking. By cutting Rogers the team applied his prorated SB to the current year's cap -- if he came to camp and didn't make the team, half of his prorated SB would go into next year's cap. Since we had the cap money this year we could clear that money off the books without impacting the '07 cap. Small change, sure, but good practice.

Also, by cuting Rogers and then signing him when camp starts, the team protects itself against any injury that takes place before camp as Rogers isn't under contract.

Finally, by cutting Rogers, we may be able to re-sign him to a split contract (if this is possible for a 3rd year player) -- that would give further protection in case on injury.

Thoughts? I'm starting to believe we haven't seen the last of Jacob.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
abersonc said:
This off-season we heard that Jacob Rogers would be invited to camp. Then he was cut -- around the time we signed Fabini. So most folks assumed he wouldn't be in camp. However, I'm not so sure.

Much of the argument from the writers focuses on the fact that it would cost a little less against the cap to keep him (not much less though). So the reasoning is if we wanted him in camp, it would make more financial sense to keep him under his rookie contract.

However, I think that is not correct thinking. By cutting Rogers the team applied his prorated SB to the current year's cap -- if he came to camp and didn't make the team, half of his prorated SB would go into next year's cap. Since we had the cap money this year we could clear that money off the books without impacting the '07 cap. Small change, sure, but good practice.

Also, by cuting Rogers and then signing him when camp starts, the team protects itself against any injury that takes place before camp as Rogers isn't under contract.

Finally, by cutting Rogers, we may be able to re-sign him to a split contract (if this is possible for a 3rd year player) -- that would give further protection in case on injury.

Thoughts? I'm starting to believe we haven't seen the last of Jacob.

Your words and thoughts both confuse and scare me.

silver

Reaction score
The team doesn't want to risk he gets an ingrown toe nail or an infeccted armpit hair that surely would sideline him for the season

AbeBeta

Reaction score
silver said:
The team doesn't want to risk he gets an ingrown toe nail or an infeccted armpit hair that surely would sideline him for the season

Hence the split contract possibility

silver

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Hence the split contract possibility
Yes I would agree with anybody else except Rogers. The chances of him returning to the Cowboys are on par with those of Antonio Bryant. Like TheHustler pointed out, he burned too many bridges.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
silver said:
Yes I would agree with anybody else except Rogers. The chances of him returning to the Cowboys are on par with those of Antonio Bryant. Like TheHustler pointed out, he burned too many bridges.

Has he burned bridges? Or possibly did Jerry overreact?

I certainly don't want to defend the guy -- but it may be the case that the team's evaluation of him changed post-surgery -- Jerry expect him to play through the pain but the surgery might have revealed that the knee was worse off than the team thought.

Eskimo

Reaction score
There is no money to be saved here as he was already waived and his rookie signing bonus has already been accounted for with the cap.

He is not physically capable of playing in this league - body is just too fragile. There is no point in bringing him back.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
There is no money to be saved here as he was already waived and his rookie signing bonus has already been accounted for with the cap.

He is not physically capable of playing in this league - body is just too fragile. There is no point in bringing him back.

I agree the guy has been fragile in the past -- and you've argued this very well in previous posts.

However, my question is whether we are actually planning on bringing him back as was widely reported earlier this year.

superpunk

Reaction score
If something can be salvaged there - by all means....

Apparently Colombo is making a comeback - but Rogers has shown no real ability in that regard.

Alexander

Reaction score
superpunk said:
If something can be salvaged there - by all means....

Apparently Colombo is making a comeback - but Rogers has shown no real ability in that regard.

If Rogers had Columbo's fortitude, he would still be here. It is simple as that.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Alexander said:
If Rogers had Columbo's fortitude, he would still be here. It is simple as that.

isn't that the case with most of our young OL guys?

If Gurode had Al Johnson's brain. (or Al had 'dre's body).

If Petitti had Tucker's physique.

TheHustler

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Has he burned bridges? Or possibly did Jerry overreact?

I certainly don't want to defend the guy -- but it may be the case that the team's evaluation of him changed post-surgery -- Jerry expect him to play through the pain but the surgery might have revealed that the knee was worse off than the team thought.

He chose to end his season with an unnecessary knee surgery and left us with a rookie at RT.

I doubt BP or JJ want him on the team. He was already put on waivers once but couldn't be released because he was injured.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
He chose to end his season with an unnecessary knee surgery and left us with a rookie at RT.

I doubt BP or JJ want him on the team. He was already put on waivers once but couldn't be released because he was injured.

I thought that as well -- but then there were the reports that he'd be coming to camp

neosapien23

Reaction score
TheHustler said:

Its easy for fans to deem someone "soft" or that they had an unneccessary surgery. Doctors do not admininster surgeries for no reason. Jacob Rogers had a legitamit injury. Something was seriously wrong with him. I think one poster remarked about his softness had a rehab center. Someithing like that tends to give more creditability than BP being mad at someone for getting a necessary problem fixed.

Alexander

Reaction score
abersonc said:
isn't that the case with most of our young OL guys?

If Gurode had Al Johnson's brain. (or Al had 'dre's body).

If Petitti had Tucker's physique.

That wasn't my point.

The organization has shown it can be patient with injured players and was for a year with Rogers in his first season. It is giving Columbo all the time he needs and his attitude is making that possible.

Rogers by some accounts didn't take football seriously and there were doubts that he wanted to play at all. They couldn't be patient once they realized he apparently didn't take football seriously enough to stick out his injury and make the attempt to play when others had and have done it.

Rogers probably had surgery for himself so he could be healthy the rest of his life and walk. Sometimes teams demand sacrifice. I am sure that there are many players who play when theoretically they should be rehabbing. Rogers made a conscious choice. We didn't like it, nor his attitude while and after making it.

It is a cold-hearted business unfortunately, but that's the way it is.

Alexander

Reaction score
mschmidt64 said:
If Rogers wanted to come back I'd let him come fight for a spot.

And would he bother to fight or just take the paycheck? That's the question.