Jacob Rogers Question (Seriously)

mschmidt64

Reaction score
Alexander said:
And would he bother to fight or just take the paycheck? That's the question.

If he's just taking the paycheck then you'd cut him again.

He was starting to come on in training camp last year before he got hurt again though.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
mschmidt64 said:
If he's just taking the paycheck then you'd cut him again.

He was starting to come on in training camp last year before he got hurt again though.

So you would let someone steal from you even though they have pretty much demonstrated their heart isn't into it and the game isn't that important to them? I wouldn't. Second round pick or not.

I don't like Columbo's chances, but at least I can feel comfortable cheering him on because indications are he is giving it everything he has. I cannot reasonably say the same about Rogers given what has been written about him.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Alexander said:
That wasn't my point.

The organization has shown it can be patient with injured players and was for a year with Rogers in his first season. It is giving Columbo all the time he needs and his attitude is making that possible.

Rogers by some accounts didn't take football seriously and there were doubts that he wanted to play at all. They couldn't be patient once they realized he apparently didn't take football seriously enough to stick out his injury and make the attempt to play when others had and have done it.

Rogers probably had surgery for himself so he could be healthy the rest of his life and walk. Sometimes teams demand sacrifice. I am sure that there are many players who play when theoretically they should be rehabbing. Rogers made a conscious choice. We didn't like it, nor his attitude while and after making it.

It is a cold-hearted business unfortunately, but that's the way it is.

Interesting point. Dereck Ross made the choice to play with an injury he should have taken care of. That gave him a short term gain and a long term loss. I belive it had something to do with his knee, playing like he did caused bone to bone friction that created a degenerative condition.

He should have gotten surgery to have it repaired instead.

Not sure if that was more important than his bad attitude (As to why is he no longer playing), but its another example of when players make a choice they may regret later.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Alexander said:
So you would let someone steal from you even though they have pretty much demonstrated their heart isn't into it and the game isn't that important to them? I wouldn't. Second round pick or not.

I don't like Columbo's chances, but at least I can feel comfortable cheering him on because indications are he is giving it everything he has. I cannot reasonably say the same about Rogers given what has been written about him.

I don't know if i'd be comfortable calling it stealing. Lots of players have to learn how to play with pain -- and for some the learning curve is slower than others. Stealing suggests he's not trying to play in pain -- it could be that he doesn't know how to at this point.

I didn't see any problem with him in his rookie year -- aside from the fact that he couldn't beat out Tucker -- he was active on and off all season and never showed up on the injury reports.

Last year the organization though he should play with a bum knee -- his doctor advised otherwise.

I don't know whether he's worth it or not. But I do know that one piece of info we are all missing is his medical report. All of the speculation about whether he could play or not was pre-surgery. It would seem that after cutting the thing open (ok - I know that's not how surgery is performed) both sides would have a good deal more information on how bad the injury actually was.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
Alexander said:

No. If he wasn't pulling his weight, he'd be gone. I'm not gonna give him another signing bonus.

He had talent and right now that is something we need.

I'm not gonna let an overblown sense of righteousness and machismo get in the way of perhaps unearthing a player that could help us win a Super Bowl.

If we get into camp and he's playing better than Columbo or Petitti, he'll make the team. If he's still a baby then he'll be gone. The investment would be so minimal it would barely register. When someone is spending 100,000,000 on players every year the 20,000 or so it would cost to keep Rogers throughout training camp is chump change.

My decisisions wouldn't be based around what would be comfortable to you.

I realize he's let us down before. But it's no risk to let him try again. Who are we cutting to give him another shot? Corey Proctor?

Oh wow... big loss there.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
mschmidt64 said:
No. If he wasn't pulling his weight, he'd be gone. I'm not gonna give him another signing bonus.

He had talent and right now that is something we need.

To me, fortitude is part of "talent". I don't care how athletic you are, how good your footwork is, if you cannot handle the pain with the game, I wouldn't want you on my team, nor would I give you a single red cent. He got the benefit of the doubt the first year, even though I am sure the signs were painfully obvious. We never saw fit to put him on injured reserve, yet he had offseason shoulder surgery? That stinks, all the way around.

I'm not gonna let an overblown sense of righteousness and machismo get in the way of perhaps unearthing a player that could help us win a Super Bowl.

Speaking of machismo, Rogers could use a dose and then he would be a player. It's not bravado or righteousness. It is called being a smart businessman. Cutting your losses is part of that. I think Jones and Coach Parcells knew what kind of player they were dealing with. And they made the best decision.

If we get into camp and he's playing better than Columbo or Petitti, he'll make the team. If he's still a baby then he'll be gone. The investment would be so minimal it would barely register. When someone is spending 100,000,000 on players every year the 20,000 or so it would cost to keep Rogers throughout training camp is chump change.

I wouldn't even bother when there might be a player who wants it more and will appreciate the opportunity.

My decisisions wouldn't be based around what would be comfortable to you.

But they are based on what? Hypothetical talent that nobody has seen, including you?

I realize he's let us down before. But it's no risk to let him try again. Who are we cutting to give him another shot? Corey Proctor?

Oh wow... big loss there.

Proctor probably wants to play football. That would be enough for me.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I don't think you have to keep toying with Rodgers. Either he's able to contribute or you need somebody who can be healthy enough to benefit from the coaching.

If they thought Rodgers could do it, they would probably bring him in. But right now, 6th and 7th Rd. picks are going to get their shot over a higher draft pick like Rodgers.

I think that about sums it up.

No other teams are beating down his door to sign him. that also about sums it up.

There is something very wrong there with Rodgers from a player standpoint. Whether it's his health, coachability, or durability or attitude.

If BP and the organization would have the upside they are looking for, like with Marc Columbo or Pettiti, they would surely keep Rodgers.

That clearly isn't the case.

Also, I think the organization is wanting to be careful of the image they are sending out to the rest of the team. This year is a big year for this squad.

Giving 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances to a guy like Rodgers doesn't read well with the other team members who are being asked to give their best or be released in the cutdowns that are ahead.

You have to set a bottom line and stick to it.

Rodgers has slipped past that bottom line into a free-fall with the organization.

It happens on all the teams.

For too many years, Dallas was constantly working with players and trying to rehab their careers. Almost to a man, this hasn't worked for us.

What it's done is water down our quallity of players because we pass over developing other players with a lesser pedigree for players with higher press clippings in the hopes of landing a big prize if it works.

It really hasn't. not in the long run, anyway.

Right now, we have Columbo in this type of scenario at OL and Henson at QB and there are a couple of others on the squad that once had a name and a game associated with them..

..but have fallen on lesser times and have to be rehabbed and re-prepared to be productive players again.

You can only afford to do that for so long.

I'm glad we aren't dealing in the Leon Letts and Hutchinsons and the host of other players that continually need extra measures to get production from them.

Go BP.

parcellswaterboy

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
parcellswaterboy said:
I'm glad we aren't dealing in the Leon Letts and Hutchinsons and the host of other players that continually need extra measures to get production from them.
At least Lett was a very productive player for several years before his downward spiral began. It seems like almost all the other players we are talking about never made any real contribution to speak of.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
parcellswaterboy said:
No other teams are beating down his door to sign him. that also about sums it up.

Now here's where my original post comes in -- nobody is going to sign him -- no matter how interested -- until TC starts b/c you don't want to be on the hook if he gets hurt between now and then. I don't think your evaluation is correct there.

I increasingly believe that the original reports that he was going to get another shot with us are correct -- and that him being cut had to do with being able to bring him back under a very low risk split contract.

Again, I'm not saying I agree with this -- but I do believe that guys can learn to be tougher and learn to play with pain. If the staff has learned that he really did need surgery last year then their opinion of him -- and all of ours -- should be very different.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
I enjoyed that question and answer thing with Mickey Spags. Maybe the powers that be on this board could arrange a similar Q&A with Rogers or his agent and we can get his side of things. Or maybe not.:laugh2:

I know most have written him off as a candy *** wuss but I wouldn't mind hearing what he's up to, what his health is and what teams he may/may not be talking to. But that's just me. Maybe noone else is interested.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Since NOTHING has been heard about Rogers coming back for months, I really doubt that it will happen. If there was any hint of it, it would be all over the local dallas hacks sheets.