News: Jaguars Plan To Play Starters In First Preseason Game vs. Cowboys

JayFord

Reaction score
Good for them

I wouldnt play a single starter until next week and next week is 2 or 3 series and a warm up series in game 3

JayFord

Reaction score
Should be good for plenty of meltdowns as our 2s and 3s can’t stop the starters lol
Always is....im sure there will be plenty of "this is why the jaguars are headed in the right direction and dallas isnt, and were going 5-12"

Pass2Run

Reaction score
We should play starters in the preseason, too. Just for a quarter.

Maybe half the guys in one half, then half in another. We need to see what our projected starters and backups look like together. This is a difficult roster to judge. Some very tough decisions are coming. I feel bad about it. But it's a good problem to have.

i can see the headlines now - "jags lose to Jags"
The bellyaching Zoner crowd. That's why your parents always told you not to be a Zoner. :)

In the end, it'll just be 30-something guys competing for 4 -5 spots, some with the team, some on IR, some PS. PUP playas.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Good. Might as well see how our potential backups do against the guys they will play against in the real games if they make the team
We’ll have potential starters that are going to play, including Mazi and Overshown. Anyone who’s battling for a job will play.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I wonder how he will feel if Lawrence went down?
I am of old school , you cant play NFL scared , what happened last year , Dak didnt play all preseason but injured the throwing hand in the 1st game , but luckily Rush and D stepped up and won 4 games and lost only one.
thats why better team have backup plan and someone needs to step up. We would not seen Dak as Qb if Romo wasnt injured.
( Tom Brady might have not been a Goat QB if Bledsoe wasnt injured, LOL )

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Good. Might as well see how our potential backups do against the guys they will play against in the real games if they make the team
Right. I'd prefer for our backups to have to face their starters. Helps us to know if they are up to that level of play or only look good when they are going against similar backup talent.

If I were coaching a team, I'd probably always start my second team in the preseason and then bring in the starters after that. They need a little bit of playing time, but you don't really need to gauge the starters against other teams' starters because you're staying vanilla anyway.

Creeper

Reaction score
I'd like to see the offensive line starters play a couple of series. They need to get reps together.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Hope we see zero starters, maybe not even Cooper Rush.
Cooper rush needs the work we both know he ain't gonna get very many snaps throughout the year so this is the way they can knock off the rust Cooper rush first half will Greer second-half// but yes very limited on our better players..

I want to see all the new RBs..No pollard.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is what needs to change with Dallas. I know it's a risk to play your starters in the preseason, but these reps are important to preparing your team.

Under McCarthy Dallas has lost every week one game. The Rams in 2020 and TB the last two seasons. These slow starts have to change. I believe playing your starters for a couple a series in the first two games and a half in the last game would only help.
Umm that's ridiculous first of all that week one against Tampa Bay two years ago then our offense put up over 500 yards and they didn't look like they had any rust. They happen to lose to the eventual Super Bowl champions by one score in game one? I mean did you not watch the games they didn't look rusty to me and by the way it was Kellen Moore's fault last year we looked like that because we were running the ball well had a completely new revamp team on offense and what does he do he doesn't give Ezekiel Elliott but two carries in the second-half even though in the first half he was running for 5.2 yards per carry those guys are gone now Kellen Moore is more the reason we lost some of those games, you know I don't remember the Rams game that's how little it meant when you won 12 games two years in a row and you're saying we need to do something different, you literally understand that with 32 teams are starting out one in one after week 1 LMAO

they get so many reps in practice and scrimmages they absolutely do not need to get hurt in a live game that the other players on the other side have nothing to lose they're mostly backups and they're gonna be going all out to be seen on film and that might mean going late rolling underneath someone's leg no it's not worth the risk.

But thanks for your input Internet GM super pro coach on The Super forum.. what needs to change is any fan to question what a pro coach and staff decode to do as if they know better LOL :lmao: :huh: :popcorn:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Jaguars plan to play starters in first preseason game vs. Cowboys

By Adam Stites | Jags Wire
August 7, 2023

USATSI_21158355.jpg

<snip>

While many teams are extra careful with their star players in August, Pederson believes the reps against the Dallas Cowboys on Saturday can prove valuable.

“I’m a big believer in the starters playing,” Pederson said in an interview on NFL Network’s “Inside Training Camp LIVE.” “I really feel like they need to feel sort of that energy that comes with starting a football game. I did it last year with the guys.

Read more
good for them. each team approaches pre-season differently. winning preseason is not indicator of season success.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Umm that's ridiculous first of all that week one against Tampa Bay two years ago then our offense put up over 500 yards and they didn't look like they had any rust. They happen to lose to the eventual Super Bowl champions by one score in game one? I mean did you not watch the games they didn't look rusty to me and by the way it was Kellen Moore's fault last year we looked like that because we were running the ball well had a completely new revamp team on offense and what does he do he doesn't give Ezekiel Elliott but two carries in the second-half even though in the first half he was running for 5.2 yards per carry those guys are gone now Kellen Moore is more the reason we lost some of those games, you know I don't remember the Rams game that's how little it meant when you won 12 games two years in a row and you're saying we need to do something different, you literally understand that with 32 teams are starting out one in one after week 1 LMAO

they get so many reps in practice and scrimmages they absolutely do not need to get hurt in a live game that the other players on the other side have nothing to lose they're mostly backups and they're gonna be going all out to be seen on film and that might mean going late rolling underneath someone's leg no it's not worth the risk.

But thanks for your input Internet GM super pro coach on The Super forum.. what needs to change is any fan to question what a pro coach and staff decode to do as if they know better LOL :lmao: :huh: :popcorn:
So if you follow your logic this forum wouldn't exist. Since all we are, are fans sharing ideas that are irrelevant because we should not question the decisions made by professionals.

It's that what we all do.

Have a good day Mr. Pseudo Professional Internet Tough Guy.