Twitter: Tolbert: I lost all my confidence in rookie year

Zordon

Reaction score

Cowboys WR Jalen Tolbert: “My rookie year, I think I lost almost every bit of my confidence. Coming off a hamstring injury in OTAs and then trying to catch up, and then just moving around, playing every (WR) spot, I was thinking way more than I should instead of just going out there and having fun, knowing that I belong here, that I’m valuable at this level and can play very high at this level. That’s something that I had to build back up. … It’s completely different now. It’s a 180. I’m confident. I’m having fun.”

Tolbert said going back to South Alabama last year during Senior Bowl week helped significantly: “Watching college tape and seeing what I did in college and understanding that I’m that guy and I can be that guy at this level.”

Zordon

Reaction score
@WillieBeamen this explains why he looked so robotic his rookie year. didn't look natural at all out there after getting good reviews in the offseason.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cowboys WR Jalen Tolbert: “My rookie year, I think I lost almost every bit of my confidence. Coming off a hamstring injury in OTAs and then trying to catch up, and then just moving around, playing every (WR) spot, I was thinking way more than I should instead of just going out there and having fun, knowing that I belong here, that I’m valuable at this level and can play very high at this level. That’s something that I had to build back up. … It’s completely different now. It’s a 180. I’m confident. I’m having fun.”

Tolbert said going back to South Alabama last year during Senior Bowl week helped significantly: “Watching college tape and seeing what I did in college and understanding that I’m that guy and I can be that guy at this level.”

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Doesn't help not getting reps because they owed a guy #13 10+ million for doing nothing! No more excuses, time to ball out young man!

J12B

Reaction score
He is going to have the opportunity to show us.

I'm rooting for him.

I was super excited when we drafted him in the 3rd round in 2022.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
My advice to him is make big circus like catches and score TDs, even w/o yards it might be enough to cement him in. Otherwise he is going to be the next Noah Brown, never quite good enough but ok.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Doesn't help not getting reps because they owed a guy #13 10+ million for doing nothing! No more excuses, time to ball out young man!
Does not help making a rookie try to learn 3 positions at once either.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Tolbert looks like an average receiver. I’m more high on Jalen Brooks who had a real good camp his rookie year. Surprised he didn’t get more opportunities.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I will never understand why NFL coaches don't have rookies just concentrate on learning one spot until they master it. I understand that there are roster limitations, but it seems to me that it is better to have a player who can do one thing well over one who can do a bunch of things so-so.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I will never understand why NFL coaches don't have rookies just concentrate on learning one spot until they master it. I understand that there are roster limitations, but it seems to me that it is better to have a player who can do one thing well over one who can do a bunch of things so-so.
I don't know about that. If they did it to Gallup and he did well initially, why not do it to your next newbie to see if he has that knack? If he looks like he's struggling, maybe then you back off a bit and play to what strengths you see out of him. I can't knock it if it's not out of what they ordinarily do to young receivers. Either step up or get your job taken.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't know about that. If they did it to Gallup and he did well initially, why not do it to your next newbie to see if he has that knack? If he looks like he's struggling, maybe then you back off a bit and play to what strengths you see out of him. I can't knock it if it's not out of what they ordinarily do to young receivers. Either step up or get your job taken.
I think if he played 3 positions in college it may make sense. However we should be able to identify pretty early if he can handle it or not.

Seems like something they would pick up on in the recruiting process.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Brooks learned them all in his first training camp.

Maybe Tolbert just isn't very smart. How do you line up a full yard offsides and run away from the gunner to give up a first down not once but twice?

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Completely different, how? Did he automatically turn into Jerry rice or a four-star general lol

Chasing6

Reaction score
Brooks learned them all in his first training camp.

Maybe Tolbert just isn't very smart. How do you line up a full yard offsides and run away from the gunner to give up a first down not once but twice?
Again it depends what they were doing in college. If they were asked to play 3 positions in college I am sure the transition would be easier.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Again it depends what they were doing in college. If they were asked to play 3 positions in college I am sure the transition would be easier.
These are the big leagues. Whether you played all 3 in college or not, if it's not out of the ordinary for teams to ask young receivers to learn all positions regardless, then you need to be ready to do that and Tolbert had work to do before he stepped in the building.