Twitter: Tolbert: I lost all my confidence in rookie year

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Brooks learned them all in his first training camp.

Maybe Tolbert just isn't very smart. How do you line up a full yard offsides and run away from the gunner to give up a first down not once but twice?
He did but he also didn't play much as a rookie. Perhaps if he learned just one, he could have excelled at it and contributed more.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't know about that. If they did it to Gallup and he did well initially, why not do it to your next newbie to see if he has that knack? If he looks like he's struggling, maybe then you back off a bit and play to what strengths you see out of him. I can't knock it if it's not out of what they ordinarily do to young receivers. Either step up or get your job taken.
I don't feel it's a great idea with any player, not just receivers. Cross-training should come because you need depth that can handle multiple positions, but it shouldn't start until you've mastered one spot on this level.

It's a little IMO like Waletzko last year. Waletzko looked good in the limited snaps we saw from him at left tackle two years ago, but we moved him to right tackle last preseason and he struggled with it. IMO, we would have been better off giving him more time of LT development before possibly making that move with him. Needing a second shoulder surgery probably is going to derail his career anyway, but maybe we would have another competitor at the LT spot if we'd have let him have more developmental time there.

Chasing6

Reaction score
These are the big leagues. Whether you played all 3 in college or not, if it's not out of the ordinary for teams to ask young receivers to learn all positions regardless, then you need to be ready to do that and Tolbert had work to do before he stepped in the building.
It is not out of the ordinary take a run stuffing DT and asking him to lose 30 lbs and become a penetrating DT either.

However, it was still stupid.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Brooks learned them all in his first training camp.

Maybe Tolbert just isn't very smart. How do you line up a full yard offsides and run away from the gunner to give up a first down not once but twice?
Small school guys just aren't familiar with the more complicated schemes.

The funny thing is that the coaching staff was bragging early in his rookie year that he learned all 3 positions.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Small school guys just aren't familiar with the more complicated schemes.
Could be a combination of things. However we should have an idea when we draft someone if they are intelligent or not. If they played multiple positions in college or just 1 spot.

The job of the coaches is to set players up for success not failure.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
My advice to him is make big circus like catches and score TDs, even w/o yards it might be enough to cement him in. Otherwise he is going to be the next Noah Brown, never quite good enough but ok.
He’s much more athletic than Noah Brown who’s is JAG.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
He has the skills to pay the bills but he must of quickly realized the NFL was huge compared to South Alabama. Pulling for him to shine this upcoming season.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the same thing that was reported a year ago. It explained why he struggled so much.

I'm glad he got it all figured out and looked so much better last year. I expect another big jump this year.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
WR3 should be Tolbert's job to lose. No doubt the other Jalen will push him.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I just don't think he's very good.

He's not awful but he's not a difference maker either. He has no juice and if he has it in practice, it's not showing in games. He showed some flashes at the training camp practice I was at so I get the optimism, but he may have some type of performance anxiety, because he looks like he is running in slow motion and overthinking in games.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Talk is cheap. Let's see you prove it on the field, Jalen Tolbert. Cowboys need you to step up already.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
What’s up with all these no self-esteem #3s? Gallup and now Tolbert. Someone send them to the Michael Irvin or TO school of self-confidence.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I just don't think he's very good.

He's not awful but he's not a difference maker either. He has no juice and if he has it in practice, it's not showing in games. He showed some flashes at the training camp practice I was at so I get the optimism, but he may have some type of performance anxiety, because he looks like he is running in slow motion and overthinking in games.
I think his problem is he's a little soft and timid. Not aggressive or physical. And I don't think that can really be coached into a player.

links18

Reaction score
Coaches' job to not let him "lose all confidence." Great work!