Twitter: Jamal Adams asks to be traded

BillyTessenair

Reaction score
We can't afford him. He's another player that will want a big extension and with us going to break the bank on Dak and the cap expected to be lower next year no way we can afford him.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
I don't know if the new brain trust thinks Safety is a higher priority than the old guard did. He would definitely make our defense better, but would he really get them that much closer to elite?

That’s my thing too, considering what we’d have to give up to get him ( 1st round +) and either sign him immediately or eventually to be the highest paid S in the NFL, I don’t think with our other big contracts plus Dak’s eventual one.

Just don’t see how it works.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Then I think you're right and if they thought that way, the Cowboys would be wrong. But I think they've learned their lesson with the Cooper trade and being forced to pay him top market money because of what they gave up to get him. I don't see them making that same mistake twice.
Id be surprised if the dont put in an offer again

Reaction score
I bet they use Jalen Ramsey and if they stick to their guns, they could get it.

I know corners valued more than safeties but Adams still gives you two years at a bargain. I could see a general manager who feels he is just a player away talking himself into spending that capital on a player they view as a difference maker, regardless of the position.

Adams wants to get paid today, not 2 years from now. That's why his relationship with the Jets has derailed.

There would be no bargain with Adams

kskboys

Reaction score

And when the Jets stop asking for the farm, we might get him.

However, we can only pay so many top players. If Adams wants a top salary, we're simply not going to be able to afford him, and still build a contender.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Id be surprised if the dont put in an offer again

Same here. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys are a factor - in one way or another - in Adams requests for a trade. I think its pretty easy to convey 'interest' in a player when its well known that he's a fan of the area and especially of the team.

I think that this request for a trade could next lead to permission to negotiate that contract extension with perspective trade partners, and I would definitely expect the Cowboys to be one of them, if not the lead.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Same here. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys are a factor - in one way or another - in Adams requests for a trade. I think its pretty easy to convey 'interest' in a player when its well known that he's a fan of the area and especially of the team.

I think that this request for a trade could next lead to permission to negotiate that contract extension with perspective trade partners, and I would definitely expect the Cowboys to be one of them, if not the lead.
I believe our offer was a 1st and Brown. Not sure if we offered any other pick.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
See??

My logic, which I will admit is probably always flawed because I am a pretty big failure in life.

1. The #1 pick if the defense is legit could be in the high 20's or even hopefully 30+ range
2. Lewis - the Cowboys don't really like him anyways
3. Chido has sucked and been a total disappointment.
4. Adding a proven pro-bowler/stud player to the secondary will not make this team worse...

But he's a strong safety. In this scenario you trade away possibly your two best cornerbacks and a 1st rounder next year for a strong safety when you have Xavier Woods there. Not nearly the player Adams is bu good enough to start for you and is cheap.

robjay04

Reaction score
Adams wants to get paid today, not 2 years from now. That's why his relationship with the Jets has derailed.

There would be no bargain with Adams

It is already being reported he will not demand an extension of traded to Dallas as well as a handful of other teams.

People literally said the same thing about Jalen Ramsey last season and he still hasn’t got an extension.

His relationship with the Jets probably derailed when the Jets were openly interested in trading him last season. From his prospective, he can come to the conclusion that the Jets have no intention on ever paying him since the strongly considered trading him.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
And he wasn't even that expensive. I was sorta POed we didn't even try. And now he's a key part of KC's super bowl winning D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, could have gotten him alot cheaper for sure and took care of a problem position.

Reactions: BAT

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe our offer was a 1st and Brown. Not sure if we offered any other pick.

Yeah, that's what I've heard our offer was last year. And their demands were ridiculous, like a 1st and two 2nds, or a 1st rounder plus Tyron Smith or Zack Martin. Just outrageous.

I'd consider giving them a 1st and a 3rd rounder (either both in 2021 or preferably the 3rd the following year) but I would HAVE to have the long term extension agreed to with the player at the time of the trade.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is already being reported he will not demand an extension of traded to Dallas as well as a handful of other teams.

People literally said the same thing about Jalen Ramsey last season and he still hasn’t got an extension.

His relationship with the Jets probably derailed when the Jets were openly interested in trading him last season. From his prospective, he can come to the conclusion that the Jets have no intention on ever paying him since the strongly considered trading him.

I'm glad that you brought up Jalen Ramsey as that trade is yet another example of what not to do in this league. Because they gave up so much for him, like the Texans for Tunsil, the Rams are bent over a barrel and now have to pay Ramsey anything and everything he wants in order to justify the draft picks they gave up.

Thank you for showing everyone exactly what the Cowboys shouldn't do.

Reaction score

Obviously you didn't learn from the Amari Cooper trade.

When you trade premium picks for someone nearing the end of his contract, you need to extend him likely before the trade. Like the Bears did with Khalil Mack.

Otherwise, you give ALL the cards to the player. The team has given up valuable draft capital and would have nothing to show for it if he walks. Cooper knew this and took full advantage of it. As a result, the Cowboys were forced to overpay.

Now you want to repeat that mistake for Adams. No thanks. I think he's terrific and would love him on the team. But you would have to agree on an extension BEFORE you give up the draft picks to obtain him.

That's the right way to do it.