Jan 1994, The Perfect Half

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I just rewatched the first half of the 2nd Dallas/SF NFC Championship game (our repeat yr) and without a doubt, its the most perfect half of football I think I have ever seen. (Especially when you consider the importance of the game and the calibar of the opponent). For those that dont remember, it was just awesome:

1) We had the ball 5 times, we scored 4 tds. We had almost 300 yds of offense in one half.

2) Aikman was 14/18 with two tds. He had one ball dropped, and he had a long bomb to Harper that literally missed by 1-2 inches. Another incompletion was right on the receiver, the 4th inc was knocked down. Literally almost EVERY pass was right there. Just amazing. On the long one Harper just couldnt quite snare it in the endzone, otherwise we'd have been up 35-7 and scored tds on all 5 possessions. Watching Aikman in his prime was just amazing. This guy was THE perfect QB. Excellent size, tremendous arm strength, unmatched accuracy. And for those that have the memory of Aikman being a statue, go back and watch him in this game (or anytime early in his career) and see what a tremendous athlete he was. Aikman had 3 or 4 big scrambles in the first half alone, and had excellent speed. Also, the distance he cleared on his dropbacks was amazing. Madden even mentions it during this telecast.

3) What a dominant half by the OL. Erik Williams was indeed a superstar at RT. His strength was just uncanny. He literally could floor DE's with one arm, and he could do it with his right or left arm. On one play in the first qtr Williams literally broke Ted Washington's leg by just hitting him. Unbelievable.

4) Emmitt...wow...what a player. People forget wasn awesome receiver he was. He abused the Niners (again) on numerous circle and outlet routes, and nobody on their team could cover him.

5) Defense was almost as good. Niners had one drive where they gained any real yds (their only TD). Had barely 100 yds of offense in that half.

This is the game that for some reason people think "Bernie Kosar saved the day!!!!"..."Bernie won the game". That game was over at halftime, and if Aikman had not got the concussion early in the 2nd half I think we'd have hung 50 on them. Or as Barry used to say at OU "half a hundred!!"

Go back and watch it, it was an awesome performance.

And the ultimate stadium banner:

"Hey Seifert, they're BRASS"

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If Erik Williams didn't get injured in a car accident, he could have gone down as one of the greatest left tackles EVER.

Any tackle who could manhandle Reggie White has to be considered among the elite ever to play the game.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
That's why people who claim that Aikman "wasn't that good" or "only succeeded because of the talent around him" are absolutely out of their frigging minds.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2526486 said:
That's why people who claim that Aikman "wasn't that good" or "only succeeded because of the talent around him" are absolutely out of their frigging minds.

I wish Aikman would grab Romo by the throat and show him some of those 91-95 Cowboy games, he'd see what playing QB was really all about then.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2526483 said:
If Erik Williams didn't get injured in a car accident, he could have gone down as one of the greatest left tackles EVER.

Any tackle who could manhandle Reggie White has to be considered among the elite ever to play the game.

Right tackle.

The lack of a two-week buffer before the Super Bowl no doubt contributed to Troy's so-so performance in that game.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2526483 said:

EW truly did manhandle White...over and over and over...White was his little *****

EW was a RT however. But yeah, he could have been one of (if not THE) best offensive tackle ever. Nobody at that time was ever that big, that strong, that technically sound and that light on their feet.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
dbair1967;2526473 said:
I just rewatched the first half of the 2nd Dallas/SF NFC Championship game (our repeat yr) and without a doubt, its the most perfect half of football I think I have ever seen. (Especially when you consider the importance of the game and the calibar of the opponent). For those that dont remember, it was just awesome:

1) We had the ball 5 times, we scored 4 tds. We had almost 300 yds of offense in one half.

2) Aikman was 14/18 with two tds. He had one ball dropped, and he had a long bomb to Harper that literally missed by 1-2 inches. Another incompletion was right on the receiver, the 4th inc was knocked down. Literally almost EVERY pass was right there. Just amazing. On the long one Harper just couldnt quite snare it in the endzone, otherwise we'd have been up 35-7 and scored tds on all 5 possessions. Watching Aikman in his prime was just amazing. This guy was THE perfect QB. Excellent size, tremendous arm strength, unmatched accuracy. And for those that have the memory of Aikman being a statue, go back and watch him in this game (or anytime early in his career) and see what a tremendous athlete he was. Aikman had 3 or 4 big scrambles in the first half alone, and had excellent speed. Also, the distance he cleared on his dropbacks was amazing. Madden even mentions it during this telecast.

3) What a dominant half by the OL. Erik Williams was indeed a superstar at RT. His strength was just uncanny. He literally could floor DE's with one arm, and he could do it with his right or left arm. On one play in the first qtr Williams literally broke Ted Washington's leg by just hitting him. Unbelievable.

4) Emmitt...wow...what a player. People forget wasn awesome receiver he was. He abused the Niners (again) on numerous circle and outlet routes, and nobody on their team could cover him.

5) Defense was almost as good. Niners had one drive where they gained any real yds (their only TD). Had barely 100 yds of offense in that half.

This is the game that for some reason people think "Bernie Kosar saved the day!!!!"..."Bernie won the game". That game was over at halftime, and if Aikman had not got the concussion early in the 2nd half I think we'd have hung 50 on them. Or as Barry used to say at OU "half a hundred!!"

Go back and watch it, it was an awesome performance.

And the ultimate stadium banner:

"Hey Seifert, they're BRASS"

The best QB I ever SAW !!!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
dbair1967;2526488 said:
I wish Aikman would grab Romo by the throat and show him some of those 91-95 Cowboy games, he'd see what playing QB was really all about then.

I don't think that would help, though. Romo just will never be as good as Aikman, or even close. Aikman was just that good -- one of the all-time greats. Romo doesn't have that in him.

Not that we can't win with Tony, because we can. But he'll never be Troy.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
bbgun;2526490 said:
Right tackle.

The lack of a two-week buffer before the Super Bowl no doubt contributed to Troy's so-so performance in that game.

That level of concussion would have players out 4-6 weeks now and not even remotely thinking of playing.

He shows up days later and plays, and played pretty good considering he played the game in a fog.

I said it a few weeks ago and I'll say it again. If somehow Troy Aikman in his prime was QB'ing THIS Dallas team, we'd be getting ready to polish off trophy #6.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2526494 said:
I don't think that would help, though. Romo just will never be as good as Aikman, or even close. Aikman was just that good -- one of the all-time greats. Romo doesn't have that in him.

Not that we can't win with Tony, because we can. But he'll never be Troy.

Tis true.

Looking around the league right now, there's nobody that can throw like Troy did. Not Brady, not Manning, nobody. Nobody has/had that combination of accuracy and arm strength.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;2526495 said:
That level of concussion would have players out 4-6 weeks now and not even remotely thinking of playing.

He shows up days later and plays, and played pretty good considering he played the game in a fog.

I said it a few weeks ago and I'll say it again. If somehow Troy Aikman in his prime was QB'ing THIS Dallas team, we'd be getting ready to polish off trophy #6.

True, this was no ordinary concussion. He was actually hospitalized overnight. Thank God Emmitt was around to shoulder the load (pun not intended).

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
bbgun;2526501 said:
True, this was no ordinary concussion. He was actually hospitalized overnight. Thank God Emmitt was around to shoulder the load (pun not intended).

Emmitt, Troy, Michael.

Thats what will never be duplicated again, ever.

We have guys who have some great talent on this team, but they dont have the guts and determination those 3 had. Winning was all hat mattered to all 3 of them, you cant say that about many guys here.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
bbgun;2526490 said:
Right tackle.

My bad. I had a brain fart. Thanks for the correction. :)

wick

Reaction score
Aikman had the best footwork of any quarterback I've ever seen. He was technically flawless.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;2526508 said:
Emmitt, Troy, Michael.

Thats what will never be duplicated again, ever.

We have guys who have some great talent on this team, but they dont have the guts and determination those 3 had. Winning was all hat mattered to all 3 of them, you cant say that about many guys here.

My favorite play was when Emmitt scored on a short pass, basically walking into the endzone completely untouched.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
This nostalgia is killing me. Now I must break out the DVDs (of games transferred from VHS tape, the format I recorded them on originally).

This game was so special. I had friends of mine that were fans of other teams tell me that they had been just waiting for someone to humiliate the 49ers as they had it coming.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
I know why you were impressed David.

I watched that game a couple of years ago and after watching it I came on this board and said that Aikman, in his prime, was a better big game QB than Brady and that he played as near perfect in the first half of that game as I have ever witnessed. It was unbelievable!

DALLAS D

Reaction score
dbair1967;2526488 said:

I wish he had coaches to do that, but evidently the incompetence of our coaching staff means Romo's on his own...

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
dbair1967;2526473 said:
This is the game that for some reason people think "Bernie Kosar saved the day!!!!"..."Bernie won the game". That game was over at halftime
Very true but you have to admit that pass to Harper was friggin sweeeeeeeeeeet. :bravo:

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Loved that game, especially Moose's TD in which half the 49ers defense didnt even move because they thought the play was dead :lmao: