Jan 9th FanSpeak (simulated) mock

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
59: R2P27
OC ELGTON JENKINS MISSISSIPPI STATE
6_8151320.jpg

This pick would mean the team isn't 100% on Travis Frederick returning. Jenkins has 24 starts for the Bulldogs, at center, guard, and tackle and was Dak's teammate for 2 years.

90: R3P26
S JUAN THORNHILL VIRGINIA
6_4834122.jpg

The team has needed an infusion of talent at safety for years. Thornhill has started at CB and S for the Cavaliers and has 13 picks and 39 passes defended over his collegiate career.

129: R4P27
RB TRAYVEON WILLIAMS TEXAS A&M
trayveon-williams-texas-am-runs.jpg

BPA pick here that also fits a need. Rod Smith is a dependable back-up but Williams is a more explosive compliment to Zeke. In 3 years at A&M, he has over 700 touches, 4000 yards, and 35 TD.

136: R4P34
CB IMAN MARSHAL USC

The good, bad, and ugly of Iman "Biggie" Marshall. Statistically, he had a Byron Jones-like year in 2018. He has great size, technique, and physicality, and was a 4-year starter for the Trojans. You have to wonder how someone with his ability only had 6 interceptions over his career, as well as how a 5-star kid with this much talent stayed all four years at USC. The ugly is he can be a head case, including a mind numbingly stupid unsportsmanlike penalty chirping to the Cal sideline that gave them a first down late in the 4th quarter, costing USC the game and and a bowl game. He fits the prototype that Kris Richard prefers and is worth the late 4th round pick risk.

166: R5P27
WR GREG DORTCH WAKE FOREST
wake-gd-ptw-dortch.jpg

Possible replacement for free agents Cole Beasley and Tavon Austin. The explosive slot WR also doubles as a dangerous return man.

243: R7P27
CB ISAIAH JOHNSON HOUSTON
Lamar+v+Houston+--ygve27rdUl.jpg

Another CB but too good of measurable to pass up in the 7th round. The converted WR has great size (6'4", 203), with a similar build and history as another Kris Richard product, Richard Sherman.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
In general, I like the players. But this is pretty heavy on CBs for a team where Jourdan Lewis played just one snap. Lewis is a capable NFL corner - would probably start on some teams - and was a third-round pick, but can't find the field. Don't see much of a reason to draft two, especially when both would be projects.

I'm also not sold on taking a G/C in the 2nd, when they'd certainly be a backup.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
In general, I like the players. But this is pretty heavy on CBs for a team where Jourdan Lewis played just one snap. Lewis is a capable NFL corner - would probably start on some teams - and was a third-round pick, but can't find the field. Don't see much of a reason to draft two, especially when both would be projects.

I like Lewis but he seems to be in both Garrett's and Richard's doghouse (although less of late). He is undersized for what Richard wants to do, but like you said, he is capable and has value. I think they may shop him this offseason. I also think Awuzie has played well but he loses on battles, even when he's in phase, which reinforces Richard's view of wanting bigger, longer corners. Awuzie would be an ideal nickel IF the team can find a big, physical corner to play outside. Last, I'm no fan of Anthony Brown and it seems like he's losing reps lately. He's in the last year of his deal. The NFL has evolved into a 4 WR, spread out, and attack grass passing league. You need to go out and try to find talented corners every year,

I'm also not sold on taking a G/C in the 2nd, when they'd certainly be a backup.
In this scenario, Frederick is not back. Centers Joe Looney and Marcus Martin are pending free agents. If they're drafting Elgton Jenkins in the 2nd round, it is to start at center. His position flex is a bonus and one that this front office values.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I like Lewis but he seems to be in both Garrett's and Richard's doghouse (although less of late). He is undersized for what Richard wants to do, but like you said, he is capable and has value. I think they may shop him this offseason. I also think Awuzie has played well but he loses on battles, even when he's in phase, which reinforces Richard's view of wanting bigger, longer corners. Awuzie would be an ideal nickel IF the team can find a big, physical corner to play outside. Last, I'm no fan of Anthony Brown and it seems like he's losing reps lately. He's in the last year of his deal. The NFL has evolved into a 4 WR, spread out, and attack grass passing league. You need to go out and try to find talented corners every year,

In this scenario, Frederick is not back. Centers Joe Looney and Marcus Martin are pending free agents. If they're drafting Elgton Jenkins in the 2nd round, it is to start at center. His position flex is a bonus and one that this front office values.
You're not going to draft a guy in the 4th round who comes in and beats out Brown, let alone Awuzie. Brown isn't in any dog house, I don't think he's losing reps. You're better off keeping Lewis than trading him for a 4th-rounder and....drafting a 4th-rounder to replace him.

Looney is under contract next year.

Like I said, I don't really mind the players, I just don't see them having any impact.

Last edited:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
You're not going to draft a guy in the 4th round who comes in and beats out Brown
I don't see why not. Brown was drafted in the 6th round and played right away. Look at what Seattle has done, mostly while Richard was there. They drafted guys like Sherman, Jeremy Lane, Tharold Simon, Tye Smith, Shaquill Griffin, and Tre Flowers, all at least 6 foot tall, and typically in the middle rounds. Brown and Lewis are both sub six foot.
Looney is under contract next year.
Yep, you were right. Not sure why I had him noted as a pending free agent. I'd still take Jenkins at that spot if I thought Frederick wasn't coming back. Jenkins is a little bigger than Joe, more powerful, more versatile, and obviously younger.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I would love the first two picks. Even if Frederick returns I still would take your first pick especially with him being able to play multiple positions across the line.

Hardline

Reaction score
Thornhill won't make it out of the second round.

If Jenkins becomes the center it will be a Bulldog snapping to a Bulldog.

cowboyec

Reaction score
like the 1st 2 picks.
but how are we gonna stop the run?
no DTs?

Parcells4Life

Reaction score

Looney is resigned through next year. Frederick said he’ll be back.