Jarwin should be a big upgrade over 2019 Witten

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Jeez -- I don't doubt that my credibility would take a dive after that screwup I pulled -- I don't F-up too often but when I do . . .:omg:
Just poking your lifeless Forum corpse.

I like doing that stuff.

People don't know it..

but I'm really like a pissy rattlesnake in a wagon rut.

I will bite ya.

:thumbup:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Just poking your lifeless Forum corpse.

I like doing that stuff.

People don't know it..

but I'm really like a pissy rattlesnake in a wagon rut.

I will bite ya.

:thumbup:

Well, guess what?! I bear an outer crust, much like a grizzly old armadillo!

Bullet's bounce off my hide like a Sherman Tank. Gimme your best shot! :D

Last edited:

Javier

Reaction score
Problem is we only play the against the Giants 2 times per season

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of you are going to be shocked in a few years when Witten is elected to the HOF and ROH.

Jarwin isn't half as good as Witten in his prime but I guess thats good enough for many of you.
Witten deserves to be a HOF candidate, and he deserves to be inducted.
Why does every replacement to a HOF have to be that already?
Why cant Jarwin have an opportunity to improve the position?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Quite honestly it was hard to watch Jason Witten last season. He didn't belong on the field in any aspect. The offense should dramatically improve with him now in Las Vegas:

-Opposing teams didn't fear Witten what so ever. They knew he could no longer beat teams up the seam, getting any kind of yards after the catch and more of a liability as an inline blocker.

-Jarwin maybe never become an asset as a inline blocker at the position, but has legitimate receiving skills that opposing defenses must account for. He is going to see the most favorable match-ups within the entire offense and should finally breakout this season with more opportunities. We saw a glimpse of what he can do in a larger role during the season finale two years ago against the Giants.

disagree about the #WittenHate

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quite honestly it was hard to watch Jason Witten last season. He didn't belong on the field in any aspect. The offense should dramatically improve with him now in Las Vegas:

-Opposing teams didn't fear Witten what so ever. They knew he could no longer beat teams up the seam, getting any kind of yards after the catch and more of a liability as an inline blocker.

-Jarwin maybe never become an asset as a inline blocker at the position, but has legitimate receiving skills that opposing defenses must account for. He is going to see the most favorable match-ups within the entire offense and should finally breakout this season with more opportunities. We saw a glimpse of what he can do in a larger role during the season finale two years ago against the Giants.
I'm certain that Kellen Moore wanted to utilize Jarwin on more snaps but we all knew that Garrett would over-use Witten.

I certain it was killing Garrett to limit Witten to 75% of the snaps. His previous low was 96% with Garrett as the Head Coach.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'm certain that Kellen Moore wanted to utilize Jarwin on more snaps but we all knew that Garrett would over-use Witten.

I certain it was killing Garrett to limit Witten to 75% of the snaps. His previous low was 96% with Garrett as the Head Coach.

Clearly Witten was a favorite of Jason Garrett. I don't believe Jarwin even had a chance to compete to become the starter.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

my concern with Jarwin is his ability to run shorter routes and getting separation. we are all enamoured by the big plays he made, two of the three coming against the giants (and he had that huge game against the giants in 2018 that started the lore of Jarwin). Last year he was green, started green and got better as the year went on. he showed more confidence, more understanding of the game and better play by the end of the season......but the key for him this year will be making those 5-15 yard catches, getting separation in that zone and being the play the left, middle and right side. also, lets not forget, as the back up TE, he was the 5th target on the plays, and often matched up against lesser players and wasn't focus of the defense. as the starter, expected to do a lot of blocking and play a lot more and be the primary TE, he is not going to benefit from that...so it wouldnt' surprise me for him to underwhelm us a bit, as he is still raw....say what you want about witten, but he was middle of the pack TE in the NFL last year....he made a lot of crucial catches, but obviously he didn't have any deep speed (which he never really did to begin with).

I don't see the improvement in the TE position and in fact I list TE and RDE as two critical positions we are gambling with and throwing people at the problem hoping one of them steps up....

it would be great for us to swing a trade for OJ Howard of Tampa to solidify the position. Its a possibility given they just gave Brate a big contract and have Gronk signed......perhaps one of our DEs, 6th round pick would do the trick....having Howard would make me feel a lot more comfortable at the TE position. with Jarwin as the starter we would be in the bottom 3rd of the league at the position.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
my concern with Jarwin is his ability to run shorter routes and getting separation. we are all enamoured by the big plays he made, two of the three coming against the giants (and he had that huge game against the giants in 2018 that started the lore of Jarwin). Last year he was green, started green and got better as the year went on. he showed more confidence, more understanding of the game and better play by the end of the season......but the key for him this year will be making those 5-15 yard catches, getting separation in that zone and being the play the left, middle and right side. also, lets not forget, as the back up TE, he was the 5th target on the plays, and often matched up against lesser players and wasn't focus of the defense. as the starter, expected to do a lot of blocking and play a lot more and be the primary TE, he is not going to benefit from that...so it wouldnt' surprise me for him to underwhelm us a bit, as he is still raw....say what you want about witten, but he was middle of the pack TE in the NFL last year....he made a lot of crucial catches, but obviously he didn't have any deep speed (which he never really did to begin with).

I don't see the improvement in the TE position and in fact I list TE and RDE as two critical positions we are gambling with and throwing people at the problem hoping one of them steps up....

it would be great for us to swing a trade for OJ Howard of Tampa to solidify the position. Its a possibility given they just gave Brate a big contract and have Gronk signed......perhaps one of our DEs, 6th round pick would do the trick....having Howard would make me feel a lot more comfortable at the TE position. with Jarwin as the starter we would be in the bottom 3rd of the league at the position.

Excellent response!

-I believe the TE position under MM will be quite different then what we have seen with Garrett/Linehan/Moore offenses in the past.
-Witten on the field was easy for defenses to defend at this juncture in his career. Jarwin does have the ability to threaten teams in multiple ways.
-Dak has plenty of receiving options to find reliable targets in crucial situations.
-We will find out quickly if Jarwin is the future at the position or more of a #2 type of TE.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Excellent response!

-I believe the TE position under MM will be quite different then what we have seen with Garrett/Linehan/Moore offenses in the past.
-Witten on the field was easy for defenses to defend at this juncture in his career. Jarwin does have the ability to threaten teams in multiple ways.
-Dak has plenty of receiving options to find reliable targets in crucial situations.
-We will find out quickly if Jarwin is the future at the position or more of a #2 type of TE.

KMoore is running the Offense in 2020.