Jason Fabini... We've seen his kind before?

kmd24

Reaction score
silver said:
Proctor may be the odd man out. as much as BP loves the guy, he's a guard and those are less valuable than tackles. pettiti, fabini and even McQ can fill in at guard in a pinch.

If you think Proctor has even the slightest chance of getting cut, you haven't been listening to the press conferences. I'll find the link, but he basically said someone would have to sit him down on a couch and have a queit conversation with him if he let Proctor go.

Besides, he and Gurode are the only backup guards.

It boils down to whether BP decides to keep 10 OL. If he does, McQuistan will be on the inactive list most of, if not all the season.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Maybe McQuinstan can come down with some mystery ailment and they can stash him on the IR. They do it in the NBA all the time.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
kmd24 said:
If you think Proctor has even the slightest chance of getting cut, you haven't been listening to the press conferences.

I agree. BP was practically gushing about Procter. He's a gym rat, and BP loves those guys.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
fortdick said:
Not a chance. I tried to watch him closely during the second half. He did an outstanding job at LT. Maybe that is his natural position. But the plays where the ESPN cameras showed him, he did very well, both run blocking and pass blocking.
But by that time, Petitti was going against backups, not Will Smith... Who is a good NFL player.

And to really be fair, you'd have to compare McQ's game tonight to Petitti's second preseason game last year.... And the first time he ever went against a starting defense.

Call me crazy, but I do like McQ better than Petitti in the admittedly very small amount we've seen of him. Petitti seems like he's a little top-heavy and loses his balance too often, IMO. I'm not crazy about something about his body language, either. McQ seems like he has really good feet and a lot of natural strength. Plus, he's not fat at all and it doesn't look like his weight and conditioning will ever be a problem.

That's not to put RP down at all... I wish we could keep both guys. And Colombo, too.

But I bet this is one of Parcells' biggest concerns right now... Who to keep at OT. We're going to have to let a promising young OT go, and that's hard to do. I wonder if Parcells wishes right now that he hadn't praised McQ so much at his PC...

fortdick

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
But by that time, Petitti was going against backups, not Will Smith... Who is a good NFL player.

And to really be fair, you'd have to compare McQ's game tonight to Petitti's second preseason game last year.... And the first time he ever went against a starting defense.

Call me crazy, but I do like McQ better than Petitti in the admittedly very small amount we've seen of him. Petitti seems like he's a little top-heavy and loses his balance too often, IMO. I'm not crazy about something about his body language, either. McQ seems like he has really good feet and a lot of natural strength. Plus, he's not fat at all and it doesn't look like his weight and conditioning will ever be a problem.

That's not to put RP down at all... I wish we could keep both guys. And Colombo, too.

But I bet this is one of Parcells' biggest concerns right now... Who to keep at OT. We're going to have to let a promising young OT go, and that's hard to do. I wonder if Parcells wishes right now that he hadn't praised McQ so much at his PC...

Actually, a good position ot be in. Maybe we can trade one for that Joe Faurve guy!

:laugh2:

kmd24

Reaction score
kmd24 said:
I'll find the link, but he basically said someone would have to sit him down on a couch and have a queit conversation with him if he let Proctor go.

Here it is. Select the 8/18 press conference and skip to the 10:40 mark.

BP 8/18 Press Conference

ddh33

Reaction score
I'll be honest, I have no idea how the competition at RT is going to work out. I thought Fabini played pretty well though. I wouldn't be shocked if any of the three are named starter.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I wasn't impressed. I saw him miss at least one block on a run play. And they were crashing the line a lot on run plays in the first half, some of that has to be on Fabini.

tunahelper

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
You know that could happen.

Do not be surprised when Pettiti starts against the 49ers.
Remember that will be their dress rehersal...

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I think Pettiti is the odd man out. He's not good enough to start, and McQuinstan will supplant him as the developmental guy.

I agree.

And after the game, he said "I don't know what's going on," with the tackle rotation.

That's real close to asking, "What's my role?"

:muttley:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chief said:
I agree.

And after the game, he said "I don't know what's going on," with the tackle rotation.

That's real close to asking, "What's my role?"

:muttley:

You're right Chief... that's not a good answer.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Fabini has been playing 1st string for a couple of weeks now in practice, and Parcells said he's been showing improvement the last 7-10 days. I think Fabini's problems were the same problems Flozell had the first couple of weeks of practice .... they're both guys coming of injuries that kept them out of the game quite a bit last season, and it takes a while for those older, bigger bodies to knock off the rust. I don't think its really about him "turning it on" for games.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I think Pettiti is the odd man out. He's not good enough to start, and McQuinstan will supplant him as the developmental guy.

You may be right. RP may have gotten by with raw physical ability in college but he's a goner if his technique has not improved from last year.

I think Fabini is the starter at RT and the last spot will come down to RP or Colombo.

burmafrd

Reaction score
BP said he had improved his technique but that he needed to be more consistent. This is only his SECOND year so for a O lineman he really is not yet out of kindergarten. No way BP lets him go- too much potential. I think we keep 4 tackles. With Gurode able to play both guard and center, we only need to keep Proctor. Flo,Rivera,Kosier,Gurode,Petitti,Columbo,Fabini, McQ, Johnson,Proctor. 10 O linemen with McQ usually inactive.