Jason Garrett and Kellen Moore- Fans can’t complain about both

tm1119

Reaction score
I feel like a big point being missed in this OC discussion is the fact that Jason Garrett has NOT yet received an extension. I know there were some smoke and rumors, but as of right now (the time we are looking for an OC) Garrett is indeed a lame duck coach. So for those of you wanting 1 of the coaches on a playoff team, think about who would want to leave an established position on a playoff team to work for a coach that may not be in the same spot the next year?...regardless of whether it’s a promotion or not.

To me the fact that the promotion seems to be coming from within and Garrett hasn’t received a promotion yet should be viewed as a GOOD thing. In a perfect world Garrett would have been fired, but we all knew that wasn’t happening after the playoff win. But the fact that Jerry seems to be giving him his last hoorah next year without an extension is a sign of things improving in the right direction in terms of how the Cowboys are run. To me it’s Jerry/The FO letting Garrett know that just 1 playoff win isn’t enough, and he has 1 more year to figure it out.

So to put it simply: If you’ve been a Jason Garrett critic and don’t think he should be the coach any longer, you shouldn’t also complain about Kellen Moore becoming the OC. A new, high profile OC would signify an extension and vote of confidence to Garrett. Moore as the OC represents Garett taking the bull by the horns because he knows this could be his last chance.
Unless Garrett gets the extension there’s really only 2 options.
1. The Garrett/Moore/Nussmeier offense works well and the Cowboys advance to the Conference championship game or beyond.
2. There is no real improvement and the Cowboys are looking for a new HC and o coaching staff in 2020.

Obviously option 2 involves the Cowboys not winning more than a playoff game again so it’s not necessarily a good thing, but it’s looking more and more like 2019/2020 should bring some clarity/finality to the Cowboys future

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I could care less what the cowboys due this offseason as long as they don't extend Jason garrett beyond this year

Tractor1

Reaction score
Evidence indicates the Cowboy's organization is happy and confident in their head coach. I'd wager a contract extension is forthcoming whether Joe Fan believes it's warranted or not.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Darth-Vader-Episode-6.jpg

cern

Reaction score
give me a talented team, great coordinators, great asst. coaches and I could be a great hc. just have to give a few speeches . that's how I feel about garrett. as for young Kellen, I think he's a bright young man who can do the job.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I feel like a big point being missed in this OC discussion is the fact that Jason Garrett has NOT yet received an extension. I know there were some smoke and rumors, but as of right now (the time we are looking for an OC) Garrett is indeed a lame duck coach. So for those of you wanting 1 of the coaches on a playoff team, think about who would want to leave an established position on a playoff team to work for a coach that may not be in the same spot the next year?...regardless of whether it’s a promotion or not.

To me the fact that the promotion seems to be coming from within and Garrett hasn’t received a promotion yet should be viewed as a GOOD thing. In a perfect world Garrett would have been fired, but we all knew that wasn’t happening after the playoff win. But the fact that Jerry seems to be giving him his last hoorah next year without an extension is a sign of things improving in the right direction in terms of how the Cowboys are run. To me it’s Jerry/The FO letting Garrett know that just 1 playoff win isn’t enough, and he has 1 more year to figure it out.

So to put it simply: If you’ve been a Jason Garrett critic and don’t think he should be the coach any longer, you shouldn’t also complain about Kellen Moore becoming the OC. A new, high profile OC would signify an extension and vote of confidence to Garrett. Moore as the OC represents Garett taking the bull by the horns because he knows this could be his last chance.
1. The Garrett/Moore/Nussmeier offense works well and the Cowboys advance to the Conference championship game or beyond.
2. There is no real improvement and the Cowboys are looking for a new HC and o coaching staff in 2020.

Obviously option 2 involves the Cowboys not winning more than a playoff game again so it’s not necessarily a good thing, but it’s looking more and more like 2019/2020 should bring some clarity/finality to the Cowboys future

Nice summary. I can live with that scenario

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
If anything, the long wait promotes the fact than an OC is coming from the outside. Why would they take so long to announce a change from the inside?

visionary

Reaction score
Not sure how one can look at wasting the last year of the rookie deal for Dak and Zeke as a positive

links18

Reaction score

Promoting Moore could just be more of the good ole' boy, feel good, make everyone comfortable, nepotistic culture we have come to expect from this organization. By contrast, if we retain Richard and bring in an actual OC, this might signal Jerry finally admitting Garrett is just a figurehead and he is letting the actual football guys coach.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
All Jerry is doing is putting new scapegoats in place to take the fall for Garrett next season.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You make too much sense to be sensible. Jerry beats to host own drum!