Jason Garrett = Buck Showalter

JayFord

Reaction score
Garrett wishes he was Showalter. Baltimore was really bad . They had 14 straight losing seasons before Buck.
We were worse than bad

we were flat out irrelevant......and yes Garrett no is no Showalter.....if it weren’t for a red hot royals team the Os make the world series in 2014

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The Cowboys and Cowboys fans don't owe JG one bit of anything lol.

The guy submarined the career of the best player this organization has had since the 90s.

foofighters

Reaction score
Buck Showalter managed the New York Yankees from 1992 - 1995. He was great at building a talented roster of players, but was unable to get the team to play championship baseball. After he was fired in 1995, the Yankees hired Joe Torre, who promptly won the World Series with the 1996 Yankees with the team Showalter built.

Buck Showalter managed the Arizona Diamondbacks from 1998 - 2000. He was great at building a talented roster of players, but was unable to get the team to play championship baseball. After he was fired in 2000, the Diamondbacks hired Bob Brenley, who promptly won the 2001 World Series with the team Showalter built.

Showalter was a 3x AL Manager of the year, primarily because he was able to turn around bad teams. But he never won a championship.

The Cowboys owe a debt of gratitude to Jason Garrett for changing the team culture. The mindset to build through the trenches, and in the draft, rather than focus on making splashy free agent signings for skill players has fundamentally changed the way the Jones family has approached team building. But like Showalter, Garrett has shown he doesn't have what it takes to get to the championship level when it comes to being a coach.

If I was a team like the Dolphins, I would jump at the chance to hire Jason Garrett because he has proven ability to change the team culture, and establish a program to successfully build a talented team. That is a valuable quality, and well worth hiring Garrett for other NFL team turn-around projects. But he's simply not a championship level coach. As much as I've defended him over the years because of the task at which he was working, the reality is that now that the team is ready to win, he doesn't quite know how to get them over the hump - just like Showalter.
That's why he will get promoted to the front office.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Why the hell are you give credit to him for changing the mindset of the draft? I give that credit to the scouting department. You are amazing. He changed culture of the team? The lack of a culture explains the issues on this team since he has been here.

Please send him to Miami. They have my blessing. Heck, I will kick in a couple of bucks for the bus ride.

Exactly. What did Garrett change here? This team was a 5-11 three times a row dump before Parcells immediately turned it around in one year. He took Quincy Carter to the playoffs. Do you think Garrett could do that? Not even close. Parcells was not perfect at all but he did change Dallas back into a team that has hope every season. 2004 and 2005 were disappointments but he left his mark. Wade took over and did his thing. All Garrett did was take over what was already built.

In fact, Garrett has had a negative impact on this team. No accountability. It took him almost a decade to be accountable to his own terrible decisions. This team is terribly prepared. Makes no adjustments. So many silly mistakes and penalties. That is coaching.

Any person praising Garrett is out of their minds. He should have been fired after losing three straight end of year games from 2011-2013 to miss the playoffs each time. And if not, 2015 when he and this staff showed how incapable they are and how they can't adjust at all when a player gets hurt.

Garrett is the worst and Rod Marinelli is right with him. Frauds.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
As a diehard Orioles fan please dont compare Showalter to Garrett

Garrett’s problem is situational awareness and lack of game preparation

I agree. Garrett can't hold Showalters jock as a coach. Period.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jumbo, I can see the Showalter comparisons to Garrett...to a point. Garrett can be credited with bringing some stability and for establishing a culture that moved away from building around a roster loaded with older, high paid vets eating up almost all the cap space, to a younger, more talented roster overall.

No doubt in my mind Garrett helped improve the culture here. But like Showalter often did, I think Garrett’s effectiveness has reached its expiration date.

I also think unlike Showalter, who was known as a baseball tactician who stressed fundamentals, Garrett has never shown himself to be as strong a tactician in football as Showalter was in baseball.

Bottom line- What Jason Garrett had to offer the Cowboys is now at its natural end. Time for a new leader.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Jumbo, I can see the Showalter comparisons to Garrett...to a point. Garrett can be credited with bringing some stability and for establishing a culture that moved away from building around a roster loaded with older, high paid vets eating up almost all the cap space, to a younger, more talented roster overall.

No doubt in my mind Garrett helped improve the culture here. But like Showalter often did, I think Garrett’s effectiveness has reached its expiration date.

I also think unlike Showalter, who was known as a baseball tactician who stressed fundamentals, Garrett has never shown himself to be as strong a tactician in football as Showalter was in baseball.

Bottom line- What Jason Garrett had to offer the Cowboys is now at its natural end. Time for a new leader.

I didn't mean to imply it is a perfect example. No comparison is ever perfect. But prior to Garrett, the Jones family went along with Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells, but never actually bought into the philosophy of 1) building from the lines out, and 2) primarily building through the draft. Even with Johnson and Parcells, Jones made splash trades or signings, such as trading away Herschell Walker, or signing Terrell Owens. And other trades and signings like Deion Sanders, Joey Galloway, and Roy Williams showed that the Jones mindset was always going for the big splashy move in personnel decisions.

Garrett's first 1st round pick was an Olineman - something Jones had NEVER done prior to Garrett being Head Coach. And then 3 of his 1st four 1st round picks went for Olinemen. Garrett set about revamping aging Olines and Dlines as his first priority. Ater jettisoning Ware, Spears, Ratliff and Hatcher in 2013, he has spent 1st, 2nd or 3rd round picks on Dlinemen in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2019. That has been a sea change in how the Jones' operate. Also, the big splashy free agent signings stopped after Garrett became the Head Coach. The players mimic Garrett's boring language, as do Jerry and Stephen, showing the influence Garrett has had on the culture.

When it comes to pure coaching, perhaps Showalter is a better game tactician; but I'd like to remind people that for the 6 years that Garrett was the OC, the Cowboys had top 10 offenses 4 times, and never once ranked below 13th in the league. So I think some people are too quick to dismiss Garrett's offensive prowess. The fact that he's moved into being a walk-around coach, and not a combo Coordinator/Head Coach doesn't mean he's lost any authority - although some who don't understand the value or importance of leadership think he does nothing, and is just a figurehead. That's simply ridiculous to me.

Garrett comes from a family of coaches, and does have good coaching ability. He just can't get over the hump to the championship level. I'm ready to give up on him if he doesn't somehow break-through this year. And by break-through, it's Super Bowl or bust for me as far as Garrett goes. In my mind, not even a NFCCG appearance should save his job. If he doesn't at least make the Super Bowl, I'm ready for new blood. But at the same time, I acknowledge the good things he has done for the organization. I don't understand the demand to utterly reject the good he's done. You can STILL fire him and move on, even while acknowledging he's done some good things along the way. It's not necessary to HATE the guy. Garrett's ONLY losing season in 9 years as a HC was in 2015.

Showalter may not be a perfect example. He's just the guy I think of when I think, "good coach, but not a champion."

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jumbo thought is spot on. I’m just not sure this is a championship caliber team yet. I’ll wait to make final assessment at end of season but they certainly haven’t looked like championship caliber yet and not last year either.

If everyone’s ready to move on from Garrett I get it. I just don’t have any more hope with the next Puppet.

I think we are more than great coaching away.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No way. I am a NY Yankees fan. Buck had a big hand in that 90s team creation. If not for the strike he would have won a championship with that 94 team. Then who knows what could have happened. He helped rebuild an Arizona team that was terrible when he got there. Baltimore is a major league wasteland. Ownership there is a disaster. Guy is a tough knowledgeable baseball man. Garrett hasn’t built a thing. This is not a good comparison at all.
garrett hasn't built a thing? really...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Why the hell are you give credit to him for changing the mindset of the draft? I give that credit to the scouting department. You are amazing. He changed culture of the team? The lack of a culture explains the issues on this team since he has been here.

Please send him to Miami. They have my blessing. Heck, I will kick in a couple of bucks for the bus ride.
well, we had a scouting dept. and jerry prior to garrett and years of draft failure... and then better drafts with garrett….is it one person? perhaps not, but there is philosophy behind it that's driven by the coach....we have drafted not one, not two, but three OL men in the first round...that's a first EVER in cowboys history....

silvernblu

Reaction score
Agreed. I think I’d Garrett gets fired, some team hires him very quickly, either as a HC or in the front office.

Some team like Cincinnati would hire Garrett in a millisecond.

Because Cincinnati makes good personnel decisions?

Not a standard I’d compare to.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Even Garrett approves of OP thread.
giphy.gif

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agreed. I think I’d Garrett gets fired, some team hires him very quickly, either as a HC or in the front office.

Some team like Cincinnati would hire Garrett in a millisecond.
Already rumors swirling Giants are interested.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So Garrett is half of Jimmy Johnson, but the Cowboys need a Barry Switzer type to come in and use what Garrett (Jimmy Johnson) has built to reach and win a Super Bowl?

Sounds weird.

Who is going to rebuild the team later? We all know Switzer sucked and failed at rebuilding Jimmy Johnson's team. Is that what you want, Jumbo? Another Barry Switzer in here just to try a different approach to reach and win at one more Super Bowl Championship?

Sheesh. Some people are getting desperate. Y'all need to rethink this. The grass is usually not greener on the other side.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from but one can argue that if there wasn't a strike in 94 the Yankees might have won it all with only competition that they could have was from the Expos.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Buck Showalter managed the New York Yankees from 1992 - 1995. He was great at building a talented roster of players, but was unable to get the team to play championship baseball. After he was fired in 1995, the Yankees hired Joe Torre, who promptly won the World Series with the 1996 Yankees with the team Showalter built.

Buck Showalter managed the Arizona Diamondbacks from 1998 - 2000. He was great at building a talented roster of players, but was unable to get the team to play championship baseball. After he was fired in 2000, the Diamondbacks hired Bob Brenley, who promptly won the 2001 World Series with the team Showalter built.

Showalter was a 3x AL Manager of the year, primarily because he was able to turn around bad teams. But he never won a championship.

The Cowboys owe a debt of gratitude to Jason Garrett for changing the team culture. The mindset to build through the trenches, and in the draft, rather than focus on making splashy free agent signings for skill players has fundamentally changed the way the Jones family has approached team building. But like Showalter, Garrett has shown he doesn't have what it takes to get to the championship level when it comes to being a coach.

If I was a team like the Dolphins, I would jump at the chance to hire Jason Garrett because he has proven ability to change the team culture, and establish a program to successfully build a talented team. That is a valuable quality, and well worth hiring Garrett for other NFL team turn-around projects. But he's simply not a championship level coach. As much as I've defended him over the years because of the task at which he was working, the reality is that now that the team is ready to win, he doesn't quite know how to get them over the hump - just like Showalter.

I agree ...let’s give him to Miami.