Jason Garrett got outcoached in the WORST way possible

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Many posters here won’t like the “taste” of this post, but then again reality it a real beach some-times. The fact is that Jason Garrett finally proved he should be taken off his pedestal around these parts because he got outcoached in the WORST way possible.

It’s one thing to get out-coached head-to-head during the game in a well-heated chess-like match, but much worse than that, Garrett got outcoached on Sunday in the worst possible way; and that is by being out-coached before the game even started.

That’s because the Commanders knew they needed to stop the run. But theit coaches recognized they didn’t have the personnel on defense to do it. So instead, they devised a game plan that would allow Jason Garrett’s system to stop its own running game.

The Commanders did this by calling defensive formations on sure-running downs that would force (or entice) Dallas to switch out of that run play to a pass play. Give the Commanders coaches their props for recognizing these tendencies in film study of Garrett’s offense.

So basically, the Commanders would line up to defend the run to get Romo to audible to pass play, and one they recognized Romo calling the switch they adjust to cover the pass play accordingly. And I would not be surprised if they also saw tendencies on film of which pass plays Romo was most likely to switch the play to. That would explain how well the Skins defended these as well.

Now I can’t put this scheme-deficiency on Romo because it’s Garett’s offense, not Romo's. Garret has devised the plays and the cadence for changing plays at the line-of-scrimmage and which to audible to. If you read the post-game quotes from coaches and players, it’s clear that Romo always made the right switch based on how Garrett wants his offense executed.

So then the real problem is that Commanders seemed to know better than Garrett of well to execute this as well, because they forced the adjustments and then adjusted themselves to defend the adjusted play. The last time we saw a similar result and counter to Garret’s tendencies was in the playoffs against the Giants. In the playoffs, it was experienced coaches outcoaching Garrett before the game ever started; but this time it was far less-experienced ones doing it with far less talent.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I disagree.....the offense would of won this game if the SISSY *** DEFENSE (ck rushing/passing/12 man) totals.

That is what LOSES a ball game.......

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The defense certainly didn't show up but the play calling in this game was still terrible. 47-11 is simply not going to get it done.

Nexx

Reaction score
i expect it to happen from time to time with a still very very inexperienced coordinator. and yes it does happen where Garrett's play calling gets very very predictable. he has yet to figure out that being down 7 is not down by 30. he kinda gets a deer in the headlights when the offense doesnt click right away. its to be expected, hopefully he learns quickly.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
It wasn't a good day for the offense.

But I'm not worried about the offense. For the most part, the offense has been way better than the defense the last 2 years.

dre1614

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2296556 said:
Many posters here won’t like the “taste” of this post, but then again reality it a real beach some-times. The fact is that Jason Garrett finally proved he should be taken off his pedestal around these parts because he got outcoached in the WORST way possible.

It’s one thing to get out-coached head-to-head during the game in a well-heated chess-like match, but much worse than that, Garrett got outcoached on Sunday in the worst possible way; and that is by being out-coached before the game even started.

That’s because the Commanders knew they needed to stop the run. But theit coaches recognized they didn’t have the personnel on defense to do it. So instead, they devised a game plan that would allow Jason Garrett’s system to stop its own running game.

The Commanders did this by calling defensive formations on sure-running downs that would force (or entice) Dallas to switch out of that run play to a pass play. Give the Commanders coaches their props for recognizing these tendencies in film study of Garrett’s offense.

So basically, the Commanders would line up to defend the run to get Romo to audible to pass play, and one they recognized Romo calling the switch they adjust to cover the pass play accordingly. And I would not be surprised if they also saw tendencies on film of which pass plays Romo was most likely to switch the play to. That would explain how well the Skins defended these as well.

Now I can’t put this scheme-deficiency on Romo because it’s Garett’s offense, not Romo's. Garret has devised the plays and the cadence for changing plays at the line-of-scrimmage and which to audible to. If you read the post-game quotes from coaches and players, it’s clear that Romo always made the right switch based on how Garrett wants his offense executed.

So then the real problem is that Commanders seemed to know better than Garrett of well to execute this as well, because they forced the adjustments and then adjusted themselves to defend the adjusted play. The last time we saw a similar result and counter to Garret’s tendencies was in the playoffs against the Giants. In the playoffs, it was experienced coaches outcoaching Garrett before the game ever started; but this time it was far less-experienced ones doing it with far less talent.

yet we still put up 24 points.

Boysboy

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2296556 said:

I know I've said this MANY times, but could we put all this "They tried to appease TO's fragile ego" to rest now??(Mods, yeah, I know you told me to drop it, but really...)

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
So then the real problem is that Commanders seemed to know better than Garrett of well to execute this as well, because they forced the adjustments and then adjusted themselves to defend the adjusted play.

That's what concerns me. The Skins were able to effectively eliminate the run while still making things difficult on our passing game. The Skins D was definitely on to our tendencies and checks/audibles.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2296565 said:
I disagree.....the offense would of won this game if the SISSY *** DEFENSE (ck rushing/passing/12 man) totals.

That is what LOSES a ball game.......

Look, I'll be the first to admit that Stewart's defensive formations blow chunks. I'm frustrated every time I see him line up an underpersuing scheme and play 10 yards off the ball against west-coast teams that are more than happy to take those dink-and-dunk yards.

And even though we saw this putrid defensive game plan again, you still have to be somewhat impressed that the Skins weren't allowed to put blowout-like points on the board. Even when put in bad defensive allignments, Dallas defense still only allowed Washingtom to score two more poiontrs than Dallas' offense scored, all while Washington had twice as much time than Dalals had to do it. (And to be more accurate: Washington actually scored one less point than Dalals if you don't count the missed filed gaol that the refs miss-called as good to give the Skins 3 extra points they never earned).

At the end of day, Washington won, not because they beat our defense silly, but because they had twice as much time on offense to sputter to the end zone. And that was Garrett's game plan that continually took the Cowboys offense off the filed to give the skins that chance.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Garrett's a sharp guy. We will not abandon the run so easily in DC.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The offensive playcalling was bad no doubt.

We brought no balance to this offense.

But the D is what really screwed us ultimately.

They got ran on all day.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Personally I see this as a team loss. Defense did a poor job tackling allowing too many extra yards in the running game and allowing some big plays in the passing game. Offensively we had too many 3 and outs in critical times of the game and got away from mixing in the run. Washington plain and simple made a few more plays than us and they out hit us, out played us and out coached us. So Dallas can go back to the drawing board and get ready for next week or they can feel sorry for themselves and just quit on the season.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
dre1614;2296582 said:
When things were un organized, that's when we scored and moved the ball, so I say if we ever get into an offensive funk in a game, let's immediately go into a hurry up offense and I guarantee you we will move the ball.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2296757 said:
Personally I see this as a team loss. Defense did a poor job tackling allowing too many extra yards in the running game and allowing some big plays in the passing game. Offensively we had too many 3 and outs in critical times of the game and got away from mixing in the run. Washington plain and simple made a few more plays than us and they out hit us, out played us and out coached us. So Dallas can go back to the drawing board and get ready for next week or they can feel sorry for themselves and just quit on the season.
About sums it up.

I want to see wins over the next few weeks, but just as important, I want to see improvement in tackling, lowered penalties and generally improved play.

In other words, I want to rip Cincinnati a new one.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I expect Wade to pack in his morals and come November 16th. I expect a rout of the Commanders. I mean a demoralizing rout of 30+ points.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
windward;2296782 said:
About sums it up.

I want to see wins over the next few weeks, but just as important, I want to see improvement in tackling, lowered penalties and generally improved play.

In other words, I want to rip Cincinnati a new one.

As I just posted in another thread Dallas only had 3 penalties for 15 yards. I would say they improved on that aspect but it will be overlooked today

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2296791 said:
As I just posted in another thread Dallas only had 3 penalties for 15 yards. I would say they improved on that aspect but it will be overlooked today
Yep. I want us to put it all together one of these games.

I think we can and will

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dre1614;2296582 said:

That's really the bottom line.

Yes the offense was too 1-dimensional.

But damn, this defense has looked good in only "fit's & start's" for quite a while now.

If an offense puts up 24 points, it should win.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Clove;2296763 said:
When things were un organized, that's when we scored and moved the ball, so I say if we ever get into an offensive funk in a game, let's immediately go into a hurry up offense and I guarantee you we will move the ball.

huh?

We scored 3 tds...one of them was in the first qtr. One of them was on the first drive of the 2nd half. One was late in the game when the Skins might have been playing a little prevent style, but how was this the result of being "unorganized"????