Jason Garrett got outcoached in the WORST way possible

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I think Garrett got away from MB3 way too much but at the same time its hard to stick with the running game when it isnt producing and the defense is giving up 5 consecutive scoring drives.

Where is the attacking style of defense that I have been hearing about? If we are going to play this soft we might as well do it from a 4-3.

30yrheel

Reaction score
garrett and/or romo really piss me off. same as last year, abandon the run too early. mix it up!

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2296556 said:
That’s because the Commanders knew they needed to stop the run. But theit coaches recognized they didn’t have the personnel on defense to do it. So instead, they devised a game plan that would allow Jason Garrett’s system to stop its own running game.

The Commanders did this by calling defensive formations on sure-running downs that would force (or entice) Dallas to switch out of that run play to a pass play. Give the Commanders coaches their props for recognizing these tendencies in film study of Garrett’s offense.

So basically, the Commanders would line up to defend the run to get Romo to audible to pass play, and one they recognized Romo calling the switch they adjust to cover the pass play accordingly. And I would not be surprised if they also saw tendencies on film of which pass plays Romo was most likely to switch the play to. That would explain how well the Skins defended these as well.

Now I can’t put this scheme-deficiency on Romo because it’s Garett’s offense, not Romo's. Garret has devised the plays and the cadence for changing plays at the line-of-scrimmage and which to audible to. If you read the post-game quotes from coaches and players, it’s clear that Romo always made the right switch based on how Garrett wants his offense executed.

So then the real problem is that Commanders seemed to know better than Garrett of well to execute this as well, because they forced the adjustments and then adjusted themselves to defend the adjusted play. The last time we saw a similar result and counter to Garret’s tendencies was in the playoffs against the Giants. In the playoffs, it was experienced coaches outcoaching Garrett before the game ever started; but this time it was far less-experienced ones doing it with far less talent.
I think you make a good point. The Commanders regularly put 8 in tho box, but as soon as the ball was snapped the safeties backpeddled to get back into coverage. The INT was a perfect example. The Skins were able to get away with it because of the athleticism of Landry, and to a lesser extent Horton, who are able to cover so much ground.

30yrheel

Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;2297175 said:
I think you make a good point. The Commanders regularly put 8 in tho box, but as soon as the ball was snapped the safeties backpeddled to get back into coverage. The INT was a perfect example. The Skins were able to get away with it because of the athleticism of Landry, and to a lesser extent Horton, who are able to cover so much ground.

your guys played a great game. zorn outcoached phillips badly

Nexx

Reaction score
30yrheel;2297201 said:
your guys played a great game. zorn outcoached phillips badly

+1, i was impressed with how well Campbell played with poise under duress.