U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aug 5
11:30
PM CT
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

Garrett was on the headset and offered suggestions, but he let the coaches coach.

“For me it was a little bit different because I wasn’t directly involved. But like everything else we’ve been doing this offseason, it allowed me to step back and coach the whole team,” Garrett said. “I always tried to do that, but when you’re calling plays during a game, you’re occupied doing that as well. The conversations were good on the offensive side of the ball, on the defensive side of the ball and with Rich [Bisaccia] in the kicking game. I thought it was a real positive.”

Garrett alluded to some hiccups in the “mechanics of the game” that need to be ironed out before the regular season begins Sept. 8 against the New York Giants, but mentioned most of it came when the inexperienced quarterbacks, Stephens and Tanney, were in the game.

In order to streamline the process, the Cowboys’ quarterbacks are wearing wrist bands that have the play calls on them. League rules prevent Callahan to signal the plays to the quarterback from the coaches’ booth, which brings Wilson into the equation.

“That’s something we worked on in practice as well, doing a lot of situation work, running our practices where both the offensive and defensive guys are on the sidelines and playing it like a scrimmage,” Garrett said. “Those plays aren’t scripted. You’ve got to call them. You’ve got to call them on offense and call them on defense and you have to react to different situations. The reason why we do that is because that’s how a game goes.”

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4711833/jason-garrett-enters-new-world

khiladi

Reaction score
There is the answer from the horse's mouth himself,

“For me it was a little bit different because I wasn’t directly involved. But like everything else we’ve been doing this offseason, it allowed me to step back and coach the whole team,” Garrett said

Jason Garrett isn't directly involved ithe play-calling anymore.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There is the answer from the horse's mouth himself,

Jason Garrett isn't directly involved ithe play-calling anymore.

Right Callahan is calling plays the system in place is the same as it was and garrett is still involved in putting the game plan together and yes he has the ability to change or direct Callahan to what he wants to do in a given situation.

khiladi

Reaction score
That's an interesting definition of "because I wasn't directly involved"...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right Callahan is calling plays the system in place is the same as it was and garrett is still involved in putting the game plan together and yes he has the ability to change or direct Callahan to what he wants to do in a given situation.

That's an interesting definition of "because I wasn't directly involved"...

I think it's pretty obvious. He's not involved in calling the plays from the booth, or in relaying them in from the sideline, but he's obviously playing a leading role in putting together the game plan and he obviously has veto privileges in any situation at any time.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Moore: Cowboys' relay play-calling system running smoothly so far under Bill Callahan

The wrist bands Romo and other quarterbacks wear aid in the communication process. Rather than recite the entire play twice, Wilson can simply relay the play’s number.

The goal is for Romo to know the play with at least 28 seconds left on the play clock and for him to get the offense to the line of scrimmage with 20 seconds remaining. Callahan is a firm believer that using the wrist band increases the offensive tempo.

“I think it’s been real good,” Wilson said of the system and the tweaks made to the offense. “It’s basically the same system with Bill adding a couple of subtleties along with some of the concepts that Tony likes.

“I think it’s been pretty smooth so far.”

Callahan isn’t the only Cowboys coordinator in the booth. Monte Kiffin joins him. He will relay the defensive call to linebackers coach Matt Eberflus, who then passes it along to middle linebacker Sean Lee.

More: http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...nning-smoothly-so-far-under-bill-callahan.ece

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Calling plays isn't a matter of throwing darts at a chart. The game plan from which the plays are called is put together in the weeks leading up to the game. Different coaches have different ways they like to attack defenses. Garrett probably remains the chief architect in assembling the game plan.

pansophy

Reaction score
And then the point about running more than passing...obviously we ran more because we actually gained yards and played ahead.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
this will really tell for me if im wrong about Garrett. If so, so be it, if not, than the team is ready to move on. Everyone should know its not that easy nor the only factor, but for right now if Garrett can mange the team and let the coaches do their thing, so be it. Success whether its right or wrong answers everything and hopefully this pays off in the end.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think it's pretty obvious. He's not involved in calling the plays from the booth, or in relaying them in from the sideline, but he's obviously playing a leading role in putting together the game plan and he obviously has veto privileges in any situation at any time.

Sure, he is also listening of what is being called and if he as HC chooses to change the tempo of the offense during parts of the game or he wants to see certain things called at a particular time as HC he can. I'm sure he will give Callahan a lot of freedom to make the calls but for anyone to think a HC can't alter what is taking place is kidding themselfs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Calling plays isn't a matter of throwing darts at a chart. The game plan from which the plays are called is put together in the weeks leading up to the game. Different coaches have different ways they like to attack defenses. Garrett probably remains the chief architect in assembling the game plan.

Any head coach is involved in the overall game plan. But when it comes to game day, he is no longer involved. No more than he is involved in the calls for the defense. That's the reality. A great one for the team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I guess Jimmy was not much of a HC since he had no control over anything he just stood on the sideline. LOL

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Can you grasp that he means he isn't calling the plays? That doesn't mean he is just going to say here guys do what you wish. Like every coach in the NFL they listen to the call and if they don't like it they can change it. So how different is it here? I think some of you take things that are blanket statements and run with them to try and back your agenda I mean opinion.

No doubt about it, I guess some people do not get what a HC actually does. Garrett can change anything he likes within the course of the game. If things are not playing out as he wants he can direct Callahan to make the changes.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Enough of the insults and personal attacks. Stay on thread or enjoy the vacation.

cml750

Reaction score
Thank goodness Garrett is no longer calling plays. It was painfully obvious that he was in WAY over his head trying to pull double duty. Some coaches can do it like Sean Payton, but Garrett truly sucked at it. Trying to be HC seemed to affect his abilities to call plays and we all saw the numerous clock blunders that fall on the head coach that were surely the result of him having his head in the playbook(or somewhere darker;)). The real kicker is how much better the team performed in hurry up offense with Romo running the show. Hopefully this will result in success and Garrett being just the head coach for a long, long time!!!!!!