Jason Garrett or Greg Davis?

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
As long as we're comparing Longhorns and Cowboys, why not ask the question that's really on our minds?

Who would you rather have as an offensive coordinator--Jason Garrett or Greg Davis?

:laugh2:

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
SanTexCowboy;1676472 said:
You're kidding, right? Davis is an average collegiate OC, and I am a huge Longhorn fan.

Yes. It was a joke. A very poor one, apparently. I think overestimated the number of Longhorn fans at this site. After today's Longhorn/Wildcats debacle, I figured a little gallows humor might be in order.

I apologize for the lame thread.:p:

DBoys

Reaction score
UT coaching staff sucks and it starts with Mack. Had it not been for Vince the fans would be calling for Mack to be fired.

You will see when Stoops spanks Mack like a little girl.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
DBoys;1676493 said:
UT coaching staff sucks and it starts with Mack. Had it not been for Vince the fans would be calling for Mack to be fired.

You will see when Stoops spanks Mack like a little girl.

Yeah, I was hoping Texas would go into the Red River Shootout undefeated like Oklahoma...oh wait.;)

lzppjb

Reaction score
Greg Davis sucks. So do the defensive coordinators. And the strength coach. And just about every other coach on the staff. I don't mind Mack so much, but he needs to surround himself with great coordinators to be successful. He's letting his longtime friendships drag him down.

I've been saying "what if?" all season. I wish we had Garrett. Wow.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Is every major Texas school going to clean house after this season? The way people talk you'd think

Mack Brown
Dennis Franchione
Mike Leach
Guy Morriss

Will all be fired after the season.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Aikbach;1676558 said:
Is every major Texas school going to clean house after this season? The way people talk you'd think

Mack Brown
Dennis Franchione
Mike Leach
Guy Morriss

Will all be fired after the season.

:laugh2:

I can certainly understand the reasons you would think that, but it's not likely.

Historically, Texas Tech has had neither the resources nor the renown to assemble a national championship-contending team yet Mike Leach has managed to garner some level of national respect for the Red Raiders.

There's certainly a possibility of Baylor firing Guy Morriss, but who else would want the job? The Bears' head coaching position has become a bottomless abyss, a quantum singularity into which coaching careers plummet and dissappear, never to return.

And Longhorn fans know precisely what they have in Mack Brown and are well aware of the deficiencies in their coaching staff, and before I delve into those deficiencies, allow me to say this: Mack is a great coach. He won a national championship just two seasons ago, and he's been successful wherever he's been. He rebuilt our program from the calamity that was the late 80s and 1990s, and restored it to national prominence. However, Mack is a very poor gameday tactician, and he refuses to surround himself with innovative coaches and coordinators. He's frequently outcoached and outprepared on game days, and his teams seldom exhibit the passion and fire of their opposition. We simply accept these faults because we know circumstances could be much worse.

Of all the coaches you listed, Franchione's position is the most tenuous because of both the product on the field and this "VIP inside information" story.

cml750

Reaction score
Greg Davis did graduate from the same high school as Wade Phillips. That being said I would take Garrett any day of the week. ;)