Jason Hatcher: Very Impressive

Reaction score
I remember JJ comparing Hatcher to Leon Lett Lett after we drafted him.I remember rolling my eyes on that one.I tell you what,JJ just might be right on with that statement.I was really excited about Jason's play in the second half of the game last night.This kid has a chance to be really good.

He has the potential to end up being the jewel of this years draft.With all do respect to Bobby Carpenter.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
texan by birth said:
He has the potential to end up being the jewel of this years draft.With all do respect to Bobby Carpenter.
Pat Watkins might have something to say about that..

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
Yea so far in my mind its

1. Fasano - very impressed he is always in on first offense and just looks more experienced than a rookie usually does

2. Watkins - very athletic im happy he is pushing Davis for playing time cuz i dont' like that gunslinger.

3. Mcquistan - what a steal in the 7th

4. Hatcher - very physically mature, solid mind, will be a very valuable guy around here

5. Carpenter - will prolly end up being the best but right now he looks awfully lost out there

Skyler green is left off for i have not had a chance to get to know him, none of us have so lets lay off him for a bit.

rkstevens

Reaction score
J.Jones21 said:

Anybody upset we didn't match Tampa Bay's offer for Torrin Tucker? As much as everyone's debating how many tackles we'll keep and who'll stay, I wonder if Tucker would have even made the team?

sago1

Reaction score
Actually I think he's the only disappointment we've had from this year's draft. I haven't had a chance to see him except in NO game, but he hasn't broken any runs at all. Would feel lot better if he broke 1 pretty good one so we know he can. Say he takes 1 from the 10 & runs it back to the 40+ yardline--most of us would quiet down then.

Stanley will be all right but he'll go to the PS (hopefully nobody grabs him on waivers) cause he just needs build up his strength/conditioning for next year and familiarize himself with 2 gap NT play. We can activate him later in season when there probably will be some room due to injuries, etc.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
rkstevens said:
Anybody upset we didn't match Tampa Bay's offer for Torrin Tucker? ?

No...Tucker was almost as lousy, if not more lousy than Petitti was last yr...and he was easily the worst starting LT in football

and no, he wouldnt have made this team

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
J.Jones21 said:
Yea so far in my mind its

1. Fasano - very impressed he is always in on first offense and just looks more experienced than a rookie usually does

2. Watkins - very athletic im happy he is pushing Davis for playing time cuz i dont' like that gunslinger.

4. Hatcher - very physically mature, solid mind, will be a very valuable guy around here

5. Carpenter - will prolly end up being the best but right now he looks awfully lost out there

Skyler green is left off for i have not had a chance to get to know him, none of us have so lets lay off him for a bit.

Fasano has been ok, but I honestly expected more...his blocking has been average at best, he's only caught one pass I think and he's been flagged for at least 2 or 3 penalties...I'm sure he will improve with time, but right now he's been somewhat of a disappointment IMO

Carpenter doesnt look lost to me...not sure why you'd say that...other than the Saints game when he was obviously still a little hobbled by the knee injury he has looked pretty good...

Skyler Green looks like a wasted pick to me...guy has no speed, cannot play WR and is only an average return guy at this level...barring some miracle, he isnt going to make the team

David

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
texan by birth said:
I remember JJ comparing Hatcher to Leon Lett Lett after we drafted him.I remember rolling my eyes on that one.I tell you what,JJ just might be right on with that statement.I was really excited about Jason's play in the second half of the game last night.This kid has a chance to be really good.

Perfect post.....I could not agree with you more!

md2005

Reaction score
Give Fasano a break. Witte was a penalty machine his first season. Lets hope that Fasano turns out as good as JW.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone could be more critical of Fasano than Carpenter. I didn't really like Carpenter at #18 because he struck me as "just a guy". I hope he ends up proving me wrong, but that's what he looks like out there.

yesfan

Reaction score
This defense,could deveope into one scary group
of guys.I'm betting that teams are looking at the
Cowboys and know this is not the same group that
has been pushed around in recent years. Watch out NFL,
The Boys have arrived!

Chrissyboy

Reaction score
My observations from TC and the Pre-season games so far (having not watched every play!):

Carpenter has looked perfectly fine. I have no worries there at all.
Fasano is steady. Hasn't appeared spectacular in any facet, but solid.
Hatcher looked a little over-run in TC drills. Certainly has the tangibles.
Green didn't show anything that stood out in TC - including punt return drills (admittedly there is no way of reconstructing special teams returns in TC accurately...but even so).
McQuistan looked like a serviceable back-up, who could learn and produce.
Stanley seemed to have lots of enthusiasm and energy, but honestly got owned in a number of drills. He also looked markedly behind Thomas Johnson.

I would still call it a relatively successful looking draft and I am filled with enthusiasm. (Like I am every year though!!)

Reaction score

Thats "Gun Target", the dude has more holes than a cheese grater

ravidubey

Reaction score
sago1 said:
Actually I think he's the only disappointment we've had from this year's draft. I haven't had a chance to see him except in NO game, but he hasn't broken any runs at all. Would feel lot better if he broke 1 pretty good one so we know he can. Say he takes 1 from the 10 & runs it back to the 40+ yardline--most of us would quiet down then.

Stanley will be all right but he'll go to the PS (hopefully nobody grabs him on waivers) cause he just needs build up his strength/conditioning for next year and familiarize himself with 2 gap NT play. We can activate him later in season when there probably will be some room due to injuries, etc.

I think he's one of those guys whose relative speed in college did not translate well into the NFL. He's also playing intimidated right now.

Manster68

Reaction score
I think once Carpenter "gets it", the game will obviously slow down and he will be special.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Manster68 said:
I think once Carpenter "gets it", the game will obviously slow down and he will be special.

Well, I hope that happens soon. He seems to be afflicted with "Teddy Lehmanitis" i.e., you see him come running onto the screen about .5 seconds after the tackle is made.

Manster68

Reaction score
Tass said:
Well, I hope that happens soon. He seems to be afflicted with "Teddy Lehmanitis" i.e., you see him come running onto the screen about .5 seconds after the tackle is made.

If there is one thing I am confident in, it is Bill Parcells hitting on linebackers.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Tass said:

honestly I havent seen that with him...

I'm not in any huryy for him...he's a rookie changing positions so there's going to be an even tougher transition...we have very good players in front of him, so he can take his time

I think he'll get on the field some this year in nickel situations and will probably end up being a good special teamer as well

David

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Fasano has been ok, but I honestly expected more...his blocking has been average at best, he's only caught one pass I think and he's been flagged for at least 2 or 3 penalties...I'm sure he will improve with time, but right now he's been somewhat of a disappointment IMO

I kind of see him on the same path as Marion Barber last year, who struggled a bit early on, then just looked like he had been in the league for a few years around week 5 or so.

I'm concerned about Fasano's receiving prowess just because I think if he's good enough to take on safeties and corners catching passes, that could make us an entirely better offense. But it's impossible to judge his receiving skills right now because Parcells wants to have him focus on blocking. Fasano has mostly played the F-back position and blocked from there. When we do line him up as a WR, we've pretty much ran the ball or thrown a screen pass.

Overall, I think he's been decent. He's looked better than what Campbell was last year and if he can manage to be an above average receiver and blocker, that would be great....but we may not see that this year.

YAKUZA