Jason Peters Left Tackle not Tyler Smith?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Radio boys, incl Broaddus, are pretty certain that Peters wouldn't be able to help you much in week one.

Not sure how one would make that assessment from the outside, but okay.
They’re right. A 40 year old off the street that doesn’t know the playbook and has never played a single down with other members of the line would be a disaster in week one. Who knows what type of shape he’s in as well. I doubt he would even start week 2. The Oline requires more cohesiveness than any other position on the team.

Carson

Reaction score
They’re right. A 40 year old off the street that doesn’t know the playbook and has never played a single down with other members of the line would be a disaster in week one. Who knows what type of shape he’s in as well. I doubt he would even start week 2. The Oline requires more cohesiveness than any other position on the team.
Blocking is blocking. Schemes are schemes. This dude has been in the league since 2004. There is nothing Philbin or Moore can throw at him he hasn’t seen. Dude is a mauler and a bully. It’s what this team has lacked for so many years. Remember the SF game? They punked us.

You don’t think running Zeke or Pollard behind Peters and Smith is going to be exciting to watch?

So cohesiveness? Smith hasn’t even practiced LT and has missed the last few weeks of practice. But somehow it’s an upgrade over an 2x all pro and super bowl champ? This is what Smith needs to be successful and gain confidence

reddyuta

Reaction score
If we want Tyler to become our future LT then its best to let him play there from game 1,the guy who needs replacing is Steele who might the one of the worst OTs of any team.Peters will be a huge upgrade from Steele at RT.

Carson

Reaction score
If we want Tyler to become our future LT then its best to let him play there from game 1,the guy who needs replacing is Steele who might the one of the worst OTs of any team.Peters will be a huge upgrade from Steele at RT.
I disagree.

I think if you put Smith at LT with limited practice, coming off an injury you’re asking for trouble. He is going to shatter his confidence and Dak will leave in a body bag by halftime.

Playing a year at LG and then shifting to LT isn’t a bad thing. It worked for Flozell who played some RG early on

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Blocking is blocking. Schemes are schemes. This dude has been in the league since 2004. There is nothing Philbin or Moore can throw at him he hasn’t seen. Dude is a mauler and a bully. It’s what this team has lacked for so many years. Remember the SF game? They punked us.

You don’t think running Zeke or Pollard behind Peters and Smith is going to be exciting to watch?

So cohesiveness? Smith hasn’t even practiced LT and has missed the last few weeks of practice. But somehow it’s an upgrade over an 2x all pro and super bowl champ? This is what Smith needs to be successful and gain confidence
Smith has been studying the playbook for months. He’s been in the off-season programs. He’s been in training camp. He’s been conditioning and he’s almost half Peter’s age. So yes, I prefer him over Peter’s, at least the first two weeks. The fact that Peter’s has been a great player doesn’t mean he’ll be anything close now. Maybe he will, but maybe he won’t. Regardless, he’ll need a few weeks to get up to speed and in football shape. Throwing him out there right off the bat will make him more injury prone as well.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I disagree.

I think if you put Smith at LT with limited practice, coming off an injury you’re asking for trouble. He is going to shatter his confidence and Dak will leave in a body bag by halftime.

Playing a year at LG and then shifting to LT isn’t a bad thing. It worked for Flozell who played some RG early on

i thought the same about Micah being a starting DE last year.guys with real talent can handle it,ofcourse he needs to practice first with a sore ankle.

Carson

Reaction score
Smith has been studying the playbook for months. He’s been in the off-season programs. He’s been in training camp. He’s been conditioning and he’s almost half Peter’s age. So yes, I prefer him over Peter’s, at least the first two weeks. The fact that Peter’s has been a great player doesn’t mean he’ll be anything close now. Maybe he will, but maybe he won’t. Regardless, he’ll need a few weeks to get up to speed and in football shape. Throwing him out there right off the bat will make him more injury prone as well.
You trust Smith / McGovern / Biadasz against Barrett, Vea etc? I don’t

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
You trust Smith / McGovern / Biadasz against Barrett, Vea etc? I don’t
It’s what we have and I don’t think putting Peter’s in with essentially zero practice time at 40 years old would make it any better.

Sydla

Reaction score
But let's note, Peters has an injury history like Tyron. So it's likely, at some point, even if he starts at LT, you are going to need a guy to play some games out there.

He played in 15 last year, but in 2020 he played in only 8 games, 2019 he played in 13 games, 2018 he played all 16 but then in 2017 he only played 6 games.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Or do they start Connor at left guard

Are you kidding me? They tried that last year and he was a hot pile of doo. If you bring in Peters, it's to start at LT and keep Tyler at LG to develop gradually into your future LT. Connor will be backup at G. Where he belongs.

Creeper

Reaction score
Wouldn't we have to cut a current 53 roster to sign and get Peters on this current roster ? (Houston ?.Basham ?. Harper ?..Goodwin Jr ?..)

We already need to cut a guy to make room for a kicker I think. I honestly do not know why they would keep Goodwin over a Kicker or an OT. But they won't cut anyone until the have too. That's why I think they will wait to sign Peters. Maybe someone gets hurt week 1. They can put him on IR to make room for Peters.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
It’s what we have and I don’t think putting Peter’s in with essentially zero practice time at 40 years old would make it any better.

Both are big freaking gambles. Dak's health is the issue here. You don't want to lose him in your first game, and now have Coop as your starter for the season. Uhhh boy.., that was tough just to write down.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Having Biadiasz flanked by Tyler Smith and Zach Martin is the best scenario for pass protection and run blocking. Dallas won't get that benefit, if we don't have an LT that is sufficient.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Radio boys, incl Broaddus, are pretty certain that Peters wouldn't be able to help you much in week one.

Not sure how one would make that assessment from the outside, but okay.

Broaddus just says things even when he doesn't know what he's talking about.

He thought Alarcon was playing well when Alarcon was getting whipped.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Here we are again cowboys fans we have someone to talk about! It was Barr, now it's Jason Peters. I love the fact that we have Tyler Smith, I'd love it more if he could get some good mentoring from a guy like Peters.

He's already stressed that he's willing to pass on knowledge to younger players. Smith should be a sponge to him, Martin, and Tyron!

Could anyone see if we signed him, that Peters would go to left tackle where he's been playing, and we could keep Smith at guard where he's been playing?? At some point we will have to move on from Tyron, so he'll be going from spot to spot unless we get a good tackle next summer and keep him at guard for his career.

I don't want to put too much on this player, and it's too much for him then we as fans label him a bust! Sorry to go off topic, I'm excited we have someone to talk about again. I hope CAP BOY gives some money to another player, Peters all you have to do is say yes!!!!!

Good post.

I think they get this done. Like, I can see their reasoning for keeping the crappy QBs, as a strategy, I guess. But this needs to get done for the one you have, and the rest of the team in general.