Jason White retires from the Titans...

royhitshard

Reaction score
Jason White retires

By Jessica Hopp
Special Correspondent

Former Oklahoma quarterback Jason White announced his retirement from football today, saying his rebuilt knees could no longer hold up under the rigors of an NFL training camp.
White overcame two knee surgeries to win Heisman Trophy at Oklahoma in 2003. He guided the Sooners to consecutive BCS championship games. White was among three rookie quarterbacks in the Tennesse Titans camp. He was competing for a third-string job behind All-Pro Steve McNair and Billy Volek.

"We made a commitment to him when we signed him that he was going to get a chance to play," Titans coach Jeff Fisher said, "and obviously we fully intended on keeping that commitment, and had it not been an issue with the knees, he would have played and played quite a bit and there’s no telling what happens after that."

White said his knees bothered him earlier this summer when he was working out a couple days a week in Nashville. The discomfort increased when training camp opened.

"Now that practice was every day, it got to the point where one of my knees was just super sore, so I started favoring it with the other and the other one started hurting," White said. "I took a couple of days off here this week and it hasn’t changed. Sometimes I think that you have to swallow your pride a little bit and know when you are done.

"This is something I have always wanted to do growing up, but my body won’t let me do it. I am definitely disappointed that’s the reason."

White went undrafted out of Oklahoma. He had a tryout with the Kansas City Chiefs, but coach Dick Vermeil suggested that White should try a lower level of competition than the NFL in May after declining to offer him a free-agent contract. Within days, he signed a free agent contract with the Titans.

Despite White's history of knee injuries and some physical limitations, Fisher said White's track record as a winner and a leader earned him the right to compete for a job on the Titans roster.

"Look at his numbers and look what he’s done," Fisher said. "He’s been able to move offenses and win games and you don’t necessarily at that position have to be the most athletic, or the most gifted or have to be the strongest arm, you have to move the offense and you have to have the intangibles and that’s what he’s had. And that’s what he’s proven in a great college career."

White said he agonized over the decision to retire.

"I spent long nights and long days trying to figure out what I was going to do as far as a football career," he said. "It comes to the point where you are out there but you are not taking reps and if you are not practicing, you are not going to make the team. I understand that and it’s a business and I wasn’t contributing to the team."

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
That's a shame. I had hopes that he could catch on.

He'll go down as one of the greatest college QBs ever.

Best of luck in your future, Jason!

joseephuss

Reaction score
Wow, I am a Big 12 fan living down here in Texas, but they have put in some quitters at the QB position. I know these guys had an uphill battle to make an NFL roster, but Major Applewhite, Eric Crouch and Jason White all retired prior to finishing their first training camps. At least go through the full camp and see if you definetly are cut before making the decision to retire. Heck, you may make it as the 3rd string QB. That is a pretty good gig in my book.

royhitshard

Reaction score
He could have finished, but why? It is not worth doing any more damage to his knees. People may call him a quitter, but personally, I think it was smart on his part. I don't blame him. It wasn't worth the life-long problems it could have caused. He was a great college QB who did a wonderful job at OU. I wish him the best of luck in whatever he does.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
This is a BS reason. I'm at Titans TC right now with my son who is a titans fan and Jason has thrown maybe 5 passes and a total of 8 plays this whole week. The passes he did throw where very nice. He quit because he wasn't getting a chance nad I don't really blame him. He was no more than a ball boy.....

Kilyin

Reaction score
I'd carry that clipboard proudly for a 3rd QB salary and the chance to play down the road.