Jason White's NFL Prospects?

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I wanted to get the opinion of some of the more football-knowledgeable on this board.

Even though I'm an OU fan, I've always kind of bought in to the conventional wisdom that Jason White is not "starter" caliber for the NFL. People regularly have him projected as a late second day pick for the draft, etc.

But now I'm starting to wonder, as he's putting up his second amazing year of stats: Why couldn't he be a great NFL QB?

Call me crazy (actually, please don't) but watching MNF football last night, I found myself noticing a lot of similarities between White and a certain Peyton Manning.

White has great pocket presence, he's very accurate with the ball. When given time, he can deliver the deep ball very accurately. He's got a quick delivery. He's shown this year that he can operate not only out of the shotgun but also from under center.

His negatives seem to be that his arm strength is solid, but not spectacular. He also is somewhat slow footed.

But watching Manning last night, I realized that slowness and average arm strength are trade offs I'd gladly make in return for a "field general" QB who is confident, smart, and accurate with the ball.

Anyway, I'm not much of an X's and O's guy, so I'd thought I'd see if any of y'all have anything to add to this.

P.S. Let's try to avoid blind homerism by my fellow OU fans, and blind hatered by those in the burn orange. :D Although I suppose you could argue this whole post is blind homerism.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing while watching the last game against my Ags. I think he could probably do okay at the next level. I have no idea what round he should go in, but I think 3rd sounds like a reality. His arm strength is a negative, but if he can land in a good situation he can use timing to overcome that. A west coast offense may be suited for his skills.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would say his arm strength will hurt him and the idea that he has had some serious leg problems.

I would imagine a second day draft for him at the least.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I would say his arm strength will hurt him and the idea that he has had some serious leg problems.

I would imagine a second day draft for him at the least.

Is his arm strength really that bad?

I realize that I'm biased... but the kid regularly throws nice looking deep balls that travel 45-50 yards.

Also, as far as I can tell, his intermediate range passes (20-30 yds) show nice zip.

He underthrows sometimes, but he rarely throws rainbows that just hang up in the air.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Additionally, his mobility has been 150% better this year over last year. He's not a threat to take off and run for 20 yards, but he's shown a lot more wiggle in the pocket this year to avoid the rusher.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Danny White said:
Is his arm strength really that bad?

I realize that I'm biased... but the kid regularly throws nice looking deep balls that travel 45-50 yards.

Also, as far as I can tell, his intermediate range passes (20-30 yds) show nice zip.

He underthrows sometimes, but he rarely throws rainbows that just hang up in the air.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Additionally, his mobility has been 150% better this year over last year. He's not a threat to take off and run for 20 yards, but he's shown a lot more wiggle in the pocket this year to avoid the rusher.

I can only say that the couple of times I have caught a Ok game (as they do not show hardly any in my area), his arm strength looked OK at best...nothing terrible, nothing great.

calico

Reaction score
Those knees of his will be the turn off. I think he could catch onto a team as a back up easily.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
calico said:
Those knees of his will be the turn off. I think he could catch onto a team as a back up easily.

I agree with you that that's how it probably will turn out. I wish a "Tom Brady" fate on him.

I'm just curious why he gets absolutely NO "first round" love from the experts. Why are the Eli Mannings of the world rated so high and guys like JW looked at like a red-headed step child?

Roughneck

Reaction score
Danny White said:
I agree with you that that's how it probably will turn out. I wish a "Tom Brady" fate on him.

I'm just curious why he gets absolutely NO "first round" love from the experts. Why are the Eli Mannings of the world rated so high and guys like JW looked at like a red-headed step child?
Manning = good player with great family genes

Along with the question about his knees, is the question about his ability to handle pressure. Last year, when he won the Heisman, White had some amazing numbers but he was hardly ever touched. The OU Offenseive Line (just like this year) was perhaps the best unit in the entire nation. Then the Big 12 Championship game happened. KSU found a way to get to White early and it threw him off for the rest of the game. It was the same way against LSU in the Sugar Bowl. Those two teams got into his head. Now, what happens to White when he enters the NFL, has an average at best OL surrounding him, and is facing the Ravens, Eagles, or some other team that brings the pressure almost every play?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Jason White has the same NFL Prospects as the guy he replaced in Josh Heupel (sp)...none...frankly if he gets drafted I'd be somewhat surprised

end of story

David

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
Jason White has the same NFL Prospects as the guy he replaced in Josh Heupel (sp)...none...frankly if he gets drafted I'd be somewhat surprised

end of story

David

I think Jason has a much better arm than Josh. Josh was an awesome college quarterback, but he was also small and had a hitch in his throw and floated his deep balls. He also always had arm problems that kept him off the field when he was on the Dolphins training camp squad.

I never thought Josh would make it, but I don't have that same feeling about Jason.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

end of story

David

Your hate for OU is speaking again. There is no way White goes undrafted. You might as well get that surprise look on your face. He might not go 1st rnd or 2nd but he will go 3rd.

Do not be surprised if he wins the Heisman again this year.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
I like his release. I think he has a decent shot of making it in the pros.

Verdict

Reaction score
...in the NFL, but he certainly did. I think the combine is somewhat counterproductive in that it attempts to quantify a player my measurables. I realize that just because White won the Heisman doesnt mean he can succeed in the NFL. (see Heisman jinx). But I think too many good college players get overlooked because of "measurables". Zack Thomas didnt have the measurables either, but the guy can play. I think if White doesnt get drafted it is insane. Id say White has day 1 draft talent. IMHO the guy has round 1 talent, but his injury history will scare teams off. I dont buy the bull**** about his arm strenth being suspect. He throws the deep ball as well as I have seen anyone throw it in college in a while. Hell, his arm is twice as good as Quincy Carter's and his mechanics are tons better than Quincy's, and lots of you guys worshiped Quincy. In contrast to my feelings on the matter I heard on THE SPORTS ANIMALradio (a former OU player-teammate was being questioned) that White injuries would probably keep him from getting an opportunity to succeed. I just cant see a team who needs a QB, letting him go undrafted, as the low round picks seem to seldom work out anyway. Ok. My rant is officially over.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Dallas said:
Your hate for OU is speaking again. There is no way White goes undrafted. You might as well get that surprise look on your face. He might not go 1st rnd or 2nd but he will go 3rd.

where'd you ever get the idea I hate OU? I've always liked OU back to the glory years of Barry Switzer...

Jason White is not an NFL QB, and IMO Bob Stoops would not be a good NFL coach...doesnt mean I hate the school

David

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
where'd you ever get the idea I hate OU? I've always liked OU back to the glory years of Barry Switzer...

Jason White is not an NFL QB, and IMO Bob Stoops would not be a good NFL coach...doesnt mean I hate the school

David

And opionions are like bungholes. :D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I don't think White will go anywher ein the NFL. He's not a classic drop back passer. His best chance would be in a WCO team. I'm not really a fan of his. I wold classify him as a bus driver which to me will always mean backup. I don't care what the definition came to be.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Jason White is not starter calibre in the NFL. What most people don't know is that he was recruited out of Tuttle Oklahoma for his running ability more than his arm. But after two torn ACL's, White had to restructure his game and he learned to become more of a pocket passer. However, you can still see signs that he isn't comfortable in the pocket even with OU's great offensive line. And while has has sufficient arm strength to complete some deep passes, he has trouble completing intermediate passes particularly to the middle of the field in zone coverage. I would say his arm strength is on the same level of Danny Wuerffel ; remember him out of Florida?

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Dallas said:

Jason White in the third round, now that is hilarious. He will be lucky to go in the 5th round let alone the third. Realistically, he will probably be taken in the 6th or 7th round. You really are a homer fan of OU. I love OU too but even I can't suspend my intelligence to that degree.

The Heisman has nothing to do with it. Ever heard of a guy named Geno Torreta.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Verdict said:
...in the NFL, but he certainly did. I think the combine is somewhat counterproductive in that it attempts to quantify a player my measurables. I realize that just because White won the Heisman doesnt mean he can succeed in the NFL. (see Heisman jinx). But I think too many good college players get overlooked because of "measurables". Zack Thomas didnt have the measurables either, but the guy can play. I think if White doesnt get drafted it is insane. Id say White has day 1 draft talent. IMHO the guy has round 1 talent, but his injury history will scare teams off. I dont buy the bull**** about his arm strenth being suspect. He throws the deep ball as well as I have seen anyone throw it in college in a while. Hell, his arm is twice as good as Quincy Carter's and his mechanics are tons better than Quincy's, and lots of you guys worshiped Quincy. In contrast to my feelings on the matter I heard on THE SPORTS ANIMALradio (a former OU player-teammate was being questioned) that White injuries would probably keep him from getting an opportunity to succeed. I just cant see a team who needs a QB, letting him go undrafted, as the low round picks seem to seldom work out anyway. Ok. My rant is officially over.

And what exactly has Doug Flutie ever done in the NFL? He had a couple of good season with the Bills nothing remotely resembling Pro Bowl quality. When Buffalo had the choice between getting rid of him or Rob Johnson, they traded Flutie. Last I checked, Flutie is not starting for any team. And when the Chargers traded for Flutie, they drafted Drew Brees the following year so it shows you much respect the Chargers had for Flutie. Of course, this is all after Flutie flopped in the NFL the first time around which is why he had to play in an easier conference in the CFL.

I agree that he throws the deep ball well but to start in the NFL you have to do more than that. You have to make the intermediate throws and the sideline throws. This is the major reason Quincy is not starting in the NFL and isn't likely to start next year either. You also can't take 10 seconds to read the defense. He is not going to have all day like he has at OU to hold onto the ball. When defenses are able to blitz White, he has always sufferred. Whether you are talking about K. State, Oklhoma St. or LSU, White has trouble with the blitz.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Jason White in the third round, now that is hilarious. He will be lucky to go in the 5th round let alone the third. Realistically, he will probably be taken in the 6th or 7th round. You really are a homer fan of OU. I love OU too but even I can't suspend my intelligence to that degree.

The Heisman has nothing to do with it. Ever heard of a guy named Geno Torreta.

Money where your mouth is snatch??? Care to wager on what round he goes in? I bet he goes no later than 4th round.

Im waiting.