Jason Witten: The Final Tally

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
An amazing career for an amazing man. For some the play that will stand out to them is running down the field with no helmet on, gaining every last yard he could. For me there will be two things that stand out. The first will be him having his jaw broken, missing only one game and playing with his jaw wired shut. He lost so much weight that Parcells told him to eat baby food to maintain his weight, and threatened to bench him until he put weight back on if he fell under a certain point. Jason stuffed rolls of quarters into his sweat pants so that he did not fall under the weight they demanded. He played through it, missing only one game in his magnificent career.

The other will be the time his estranged father, a menacing figure of 6'8" height, came to watch Jason train and Jason completely ignored the fact that his father was even there. His father denies ever being abusive to his wife, Jason's mother, or their three kids. It is an offense worse than the actual abuse to Jason. The man he reveres most in his life is not his father, but his maternal Grandfather, the man who took his daughter and three grandsons in, and who was a legendary Tennessee High School football coach who shaped this man's awesome career and made him understand that he could have an impact in this world. Wow what an impact he has had.

Jason Witten holds the record for most games played as a Dallas Cowboy. He came very close to having played in more games than any player who ever suited up for Dallas. Jason stands at 239 games played. The only men in NFL History to ever play more and at one time be a Dallas Cowboy, are Ray Donaldson at 244 games played, and Eddie Murray at 250 games played.

He holds the record for most consecutive games played in NFL History as a TE with 229. I seriously doubt it will ever be touched in my lifetime.

He holds the record for most consecutive starts by a TE with 179. That record would have been even higher (229) except for a bone headed move to start a 3rd WR one game. He was in the very next play, but the string of consecutive starts was broken.

He retires from the Dallas Cowboys as the all time leader in receptions for his career with 1152 of them. Good for 4th place all time in NFL History, 2nd most ever for a TE behind Tony Gonzalez, who was a WR/TE hybrid and never was the blocker Jason was. In my not so humble opinion, Jason Witten is the greatest pure TE to ever lace up cleats and strap on a helmet. We will never see one greater, and certainly not with the abundance of character he possesses. To put into persecptive his career as a Dallas Cowboy, he is 402 catches ahead of 2nd place all time, the Playermaker, Michael Irvin. If you put Michael Irvin (750) together with Bob Hayes (365) you have two Hall of Famers who combined are 37 receptions short of his career mark. I don't want anyone to misunderstand my point there. I am not marginalizing them in any way. Hayes was a different era. However, their combined 22 years as Dallas Cowboys fall short of his 15 year career as far as receptions go. His consistent production was simply amazing.

He finishes as the all time Cowboys leader in receiving yards, though not too far ahead of Michael Irvin. He is 21st in NFL History and would have undoubtedly this year moved past Art Monk, Irving Fryar, Steve Largent, and possibly Andre Reed. That is 3 Hall of Fame WRs. We all know WRs can put up more yards than TEs can by virtue of consistency of depth in routes each run.

He holds the NFL record for most catches by a TE in a single season with 110. 8 more than the previous record of 102 by the aforementioned Tony Gonzalez. Had Jason kept going for as long as Tony did, in other words two more seasons, it is plausible he might have eclipsed a few more of Tony's numbers.

He holds the record for the most catches in a game by a TE with 18.

He goes out as the 3rd leading TD receiver in Cowboys History behind Dez and Bob Hayes.

He leaves us with 11 Pro Bowl appearances in his 15 years. Tied for most in Cowboys History with the Great Bob "Mr. Cowboy" Lilly, and one ahead of Larry Allen, who did add an 11th honor, but with some other team.

Finally he leaves us with a leadership void in the locker room that will force other players to stand up and take over. A couple of years ago, professional wrestler Sting, did a spoof video where he was hired as an intimidation coach for his favorite team, the Cowboys. Players put on scary face paint. The video ended as Jason Witten walked past Sting to the practice field with no face paint on and Sting asked him why he was not getting in step with the intimidation policies. He reached over, got some black paint from Sting's face, put on his signature eye black lines on his cheek, and said, "We good?"

Yeah Jason, we good. Thank you. It has truly been an honor sir.

Last edited:

dallasdave

Reaction score
An amazing career for an amazing man. For some the play that will stand out to them is running down the field with no helmet on, gaining every last yard he could. For me there will be two things that stand out. The first will be him having his jaw broken, missing only one game and playing with his jaw wired shut. He lost so much weight that Parcells told him to eat baby food to maintain his weight, and threatened to bench him until he put weight back on if he fell under a certain point. Jason stuffed rolls of quarters into his sweat pants so that he did not fall under the weight they demanded. He played through it, missing only one game in his magnificent career.

The other will be the time his estranged father, a menacing figure of 6'8" height, came to watch Jason train and Jason completely ignored the fact that his father was even there. His father denies ever being abusive to his wife, Jason's mother, or their three kids. It is an offense worse than the actual abuse to Jason. The man he reveres most in his life is not his father, but his maternal Grandfather, the man who took his daughter and three grandsons in, and who was a legendary Tennessee High School football coach who shaped this man's awesome career and made him understand that he could have an impact in this world. Wow what an impact he has had.

Jason Witten holds the record for most games played as a Dallas Cowboy. He came very close to having played in more games than any player who ever suited up for Dallas. Jason stands at 239 games played. The only men in NFL History to ever play more and at one time be a Dallas Cowboy, are Ray Donaldson at 244 games played, and Eddie Murray at 250 games played.

He holds the record for most consecutive games played in NFL History as a TE with 229. I seriously doubt it will ever be touched in my lifetime.

He holds the record for most consecutive starts by a TE with 179. That record would have been even higher (229) except for a bone headed move to start a 3rd WR one game. He was in the very next play, but the string of consecutive starts was broken.

He retires from the Dallas Cowboys as the all time leader in receptions for his career with 1152 of them. Good for 4th place all time in NFL History, 2nd most ever for a TE behind Tony Gonzalez, who was a WR/TE hybrid and never was the blocker Jason was. In my not so humble opinion, Jason Witten is the greatest pure TE to ever lace up cleats and strap on a helmet. We will never see one greater, and certainly not with the abundance of character he possesses. To put into persecptive his career as a Dallas Cowboy, he is 402 catches ahead of 2nd place all time, the Playermaker, Michael Irvin. If you put Michael Irvin (750) together with Bob Hayes (365) you have two Hall of Famers who combined are 37 receptions short of his career mark. I don't want anyone to misunderstand my point there. I am not marginalizing them in any way. Hayes was a different era. However, their combined 22 years as Dallas Cowboys fall short of his 15 year career as far as receptions go. His consistent production was simply amazing.

He finishes as the all time Cowboys leader in receiving yards, though not too far ahead of Michael Irvin. He is 21st in NFL History and would have undoubtedly this year moved past Art Monk, Irving Fryar, Steve Largent, and possibly Andre Reed. That is 3 Hall of Fame WRs. We all know WRs can put up more yards than TEs can by virtue of consistency of depth in routes each run.

He holds the NFL record for most catches by a TE in a single season with 110. 8 more than the previous record of 102 by the aforementioned Tony Gonzalez. Had Jason kept going for as long as Tony did, in other words two more seasons, it is plausible he might have eclipsed a few more of Tony's numbers.

He goes out as the 3rd leading TD receiver in Cowboys History behind Dez and Bob Hayes.

He leaves us with 11 Pro Bowl appearances in his 15 years. Tied for most in Cowboys History with the Great Bob "Mr. Cowboy" Lilly, and one ahead of Larry Allen, who did add an 11th honor, but with some other team.

Finally he leaves us with a leadership void in the locker room that will force other players to stand up and take over. A couple of years ago, professional wrestler Sting, did a spoof video where he was hired as an intimidation coach for his favorite team, the Cowboys. Players put on scary face paint. The video ended as Jason Witten walked past Sting to the practice field with no face paint on and Sting asked him why he was not getting in step with the intimidation policies. He reached over, got some black paint from Sting's face, put on his signature eye black lines on his cheek, and said, "We good?"

Nice write up HOs :thumbup::clap::clap::clap:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:clap:

dfense

Reaction score
Pretty funny argument on Undisputed that Witten was just a guy. Sharpe ignores everything but pass catching and playoff wins. Says Witten not a top 5 in his own era. Graham is a much better TE. Even though Witten has twice as many yards. He didn't will his team to playoff wins. Then he goes into his own SB wins and I couldn't listen to anymore.

Of course, he ignores Gonzalez's playoff record. He was number 1.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty funny argument on Undisputed that Witten was just a guy. Sharpe ignores everything but pass catching and playoff wins. Says Witten not a top 5 in his own era. Graham is a much better TE. Even though Witten has twice as many yards. He didn't will his team to playoff wins. Then he goes into his own SB wins and I couldn't listen to anymore.

Of course, he ignores Gonzalez's playoff record. He was number 1.
It is not well-known but a kitten dies each time someone uses their remote and turns on Undisputed.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Great post Hos!

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

:bow::bow::bow:

ryanbabs

Reaction score
All-time great player and just an all-time great guy. Met him at Six Flags in Arlington back in 2013. He was there with his boys and pregnant wife. Came up to me and gave me a fist bump after I called his name while he walked by.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Just submit this to the HoF committee and it's a done deal in 5 years. Great read!!

Then Tony Romo will get to go to the hall, too ... when he introduces Witten.

If quarterbacks were just judged on stats, and not postseason success, Romo would be going in as well.