Javon Walker is starting to complain about his salary again

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Javon Walker is starting to complain about his salary again.

One report claimed Walker requested a trade if he doesn't get a raise from his $650,000 salary. Like Daunte Culpepper, it seems pretty foolish to make contract demands after blowing out your knee.

Feb. 25 - 12:10 pm et
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Eskimo

Reaction score
He is very underpaid - he would probably get between 5 to 10 times his current salary if he hit FA without ever stepping on the field again. Last year taught him a lesson about the fragility of an NFL career and he probably wants a guarantee of one big payday before he hits the field again.

If the Pack gives him anywhere close to a market-value contract for a Pro Bowl WR, he should sign. If they wait until he hits the field again, he may be better off waiting for the offseason when they will have to franchise him and then work on a deal (assuming he is recovered).

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Walker is one of the few complainers that has legitimate beef.

gbrittain

Reaction score
theogt said:

Very true.

I dont have much sympathy for people who are on their second contract in the league, but people like Jevon Walker who are totally outperforming their rookie contract should get a chance at renegotiation.

jem88

Reaction score
Gryphon said:
Javon Walker is starting to complain about his salary again.

One report claimed Walker requested a trade if he doesn't get a raise from his $650,000 salary. Like Daunte Culpepper, it seems pretty foolish to make contract demands after blowing out your knee.

Feb. 25 - 12:10 pm et
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
Actually he was making them before blowing out his knee, and if the Packers had any sense of goodwill (the kind which Jerry Jones for all his faults, regularly displays) they would compensate him accordingly.

daniukid

Reaction score
I think there are many players who honor the contracts they sign. Just look at Witten. Even with his talent, I'm glad that whiner isn't on my team. He's already making much more than any of us will ever see...so if he proves his worth up until his contract is over, he'll cash in. Pretty simple. Until then, I like the Eagles' stance where you honor the contract you sign.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
If they didn't give him a raise BEFORE the knee injury, they sure as hell won't be giving him one now. Perhaps a trade looms sometime in the future for Walker.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Brett Favre should personally sign over a million dollar check to Walker from his own bank account after convincing him not to hold out.

Pokes28

Reaction score
The difference between a first rounder like Walker and guys taken in later rounds is that First rounders sign much longer contracts. Walker's deal ends up being 6 years I think whereas Witten's deal is a 4 year contract.

Walker has a legit beef. Remember, he was older than most rookies when he came into the league. The clock is ticking him him making his money.

I think Steve Smith pretty much broke the argument about coming back after a serious knee injury last year. Walker very well could come right in and do better than he did two seasons ago.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

AbeBeta

Reaction score
jem88 said:
Actually he was making them before blowing out his knee, and if the Packers had any sense of goodwill (the kind which Jerry Jones for all his faults, regularly displays) they would compensate him accordingly.

that goodwill can be one of Jerry's faults as well. why do you think we were in cap hell a few years back?

Pokes28

Reaction score
johnnybluestar said:
Steve Smith broke an ankle.

Well crap. That pretty much blows my argument out of the water doesn't it? :)

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
theogt said:

if i'm being a critic, walker got a 3 million dollar signing bonus as a rookie. over his first 2 seasons, he barely managed 1,000 yards with 10 TD's. sure, he had a great third season, but was he offering to give up the money he earned when he was 'overpaid'?

one great season should not be the springboard for new contract demands.