Video: Jay Glazer on Aldon Smith

blueblood70

Reaction score
Eh, he won with his length a lot too. 285 might be high, but he should be able to play the Julius Peppers style of game pretty well at a higher weight.

I'd imagine the firs-step is largely gone, regardless of his weight.

is this all muscles or some fat?
move him inside on pass rushing downs and have Gregory and tank outside and MCCoy inside with Smith..

I bet he can accidentally lose 15 pounds the first week of camp..

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
is this all muscles or some fat?
move him inside on pass rushing downs and have Gregory and tank outside and MCCoy inside with Smith..

I bet he can accidentally lose 15 pounds the first week of camp..
Glazer, I think, was saying 6% body fat. Not easy to drop a lot of weight there.

But the 285 could be high. Who knows really.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
He is gonna be an interesting watch in TC. He had a well rounded package. If you take his speed away, he still more to win with. It will be interesting to see what kind of football shape he is in and how rusty he is
I'm starting to think maybe this could work...but just not in the way people are expecting. Maybe he plays on the strong side...in rotation w/ D-Law..@ 285lbs...maybe he can be the player Taco was supposed to be for us.

Them

Reaction score
...I'm really hoping that this indeed turns into a success story!!!...:flagwave:

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I always root for people to turn things around but here is my fear..he’s excelling outside of football and in his current existence. Football is structured..which is good..but it also comes with stressors and other dynamics..pain, injury etc. It’s going to be tough in him

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I may knock a player for his background, but, truth be told, as long as you have breath and strength in your body, you have a chance to redeem yourself. It doesn't matter what anyone else says. Get busy living or get busy dying. So, even though I may have preferred the Cowboys go a different route, the organization signed him, he's here, and I wish him well.

I do like that he's turned is misery into a ministry and his troubles into a testimony. That's the way you put yourself on the right track. Don't go into isolation and seclusion. Help others who have failed in the same situation. Show them that there is redemption, renewal and restoration.

Stay the course, Aldon. Stay the course.

SSoup

Reaction score
Dude hasnt played in 4 years and your questions are about how much he weighs?
For a position as physical as a lineman position, it's a valid early question when a guy is attempting a comeback.

If, during the 2024 NFL Draft, somebody reports Travis Frederick is considering a comeback, one of my first thoughts would be to wonder what kind of body type he has after 4 years away. Did he lose too much weight in his 4 years away, so now he's too lean to do the job anymore? Did he gain weight and get too sloppy-fat to be an athlete anymore?

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Jesus! 285? I dont think he ever played close to that. He has always been a speed to power guy. After being away for 4 years he might not have the first step he once did, but adding more of a power game might help
Agreed, but if I recall correctly, McCarthy's Green Bay teams usually had big athletic DEs. Couple that with him being reunited with his former DL coach, this "prove it" signing makes sense. Low risk (no guaranteed money with up to $2M in incentives) and potentially high reward.

I believe he will likely lose 10-15lbs as he gets into game shape and play around 270lbs - which is closer to his ideal weight.

Last edited:

ItzKelz

Reaction score
For a position as physical as a lineman position, it's a valid early question when a guy is attempting a comeback.

If, during the 2024 NFL Draft, somebody reports Travis Frederick is considering a comeback, one of my first thoughts would be to wonder what kind of body type he has after 4 years away. Did he lose too much weight in his 4 years away, so now he's too lean to do the job anymore? Did he gain weight and get too sloppy-fat to be an athlete anymore?
Its been freaking 4 years!!!!

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I think it moved........1/2 chub.

Valkyr

Reaction score
If the Commish lets him back in the NFL and actually becomes a Cowboy of course Im going to cheer for the kid. Heck if we are let back in bars I will be telling his redemption stories to random people Ive never met before.

With that said.....he has not played in 4 years. I get it he is still young and no wear and tear in that time.......
giphy.gif
For a second I thought Tiger Woods finally put on a toupee.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Its been freaking 4 years!!!!

It's been 4 years with him trying to get back into the league. Have you seen Dez? While I wouldn't say he's 100% in shape, he's been out of the league since 2017, but he's doing relatively well that if he got into training camp he'd be in great shape by the time the season started.

I imagine it's very different with Smith who has been screwing around for 4 years and getting himself in trouble.