Jaylon played 16 snaps last night, LVE 14

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are we sure about that? I know one tackle I saw for sure he didn't wait for the tackle and I think it resulted in like 2 yards if I'm not mistaken...thought it was a pretty good play on his part.

Conversely, I know there was at least one of his tackles in particular where he stood flat-footed and waited for the Bucs player to come to him, essentially giving up at least 5 yards. Meanwhile Devin White on the other side was diagnosing and attacking. We’re paying for THAT.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not snaps related. Neal had the worst grade lol. Parsons grade was pretty good for a first game rookie. But thats just pff opinion. Take that how you will.
What i'm saying is if Parsons played 10 snaps.....his score would probably look a lot worse. I don't know i'm not going to sit here and say I watch film or the ALL 22 because I haven't....but he looked to have issues in coverage.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Conversely, I know there was at least one of his tackles in particular where he stood flat-footed and waited for the Bucs player to come to him, essentially giving up at least 5 yards. Meanwhile Devin White on the other side was diagnosing and attacking. We’re paying for THAT.
Oh for sure....Jaylon ain't no Devin White and hell he's a freak of nature...I think he's what we hope Parsons becomes......LVE and Jaylon will never be that.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
I was so glad Jaylon was not out there all night. He did have his classic run play where he got a tackle 8 yards down the field. Sitting right in the middle of the field, saw the handoff and did not move forward - just stayed 8 yards back and made the play rather than filling the hole!

That's the problem, you saw the hand-off, he didn't.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
What i'm saying is if Parsons played 10 snaps.....his score would probably look a lot worse. I don't know i'm not going to sit here and say I watch film or the ALL 22 because I haven't....but he looked to have issues in coverage.
Ehhh. Lve score was 5th best on d.

Dlaw
Kazee
Parsons
Wilson
LvE

But its whatever. Parsons score may have went up due to run defense.

And speaking of Devin White. Pff gave parsons a higher grade than him last night too. Dont shoot the messenger.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ehhh. Lve score was 5th best on d.

Dlaw
Kazee
Parsons
Wilson
LvE

But its whatever. Parsons score may have went up due to run defense.

And speaking of Devin White. Pff gave parsons a higher grade than him last night too. Dont shoot the messenger.
PFF Gave Devin White a 43 rating last year......he doesn't seem to grade out well with them for whatever reason.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Are we sure about that? I know one tackle I saw for sure he didn't wait for the tackle and I think it resulted in like 2 yards if I'm not mistaken...thought it was a pretty good play on his part.

From the play by play:
2 3:08 1 10 TAM 43 Tom Brady pass complete short middle to Chris Godwin for 10 yards (tackle by Jaylon Smith and Jourdan Lewis)
4 15:00 1 10 TAM 40 Leonard Fournette up the middle for 7 yards (tackle by Jayron Kearse and Jaylon Smith) 26 28 1.600 2.000
4 14:20 2 3 TAM 47 Tom Brady pass complete short left to Leonard Fournette for 1 yard (tackle by Jaylon Smith) 26 28 2.000 1.420
4 13:38 3 2 TAM 48 Tom Brady pass complete short left to Mike Evans for 5 yards (tackle by Jaylon Smith)

So he closed on Fournette for one yard gain, ran down a receiver twice.. and ONE running play up the middle .. I will go watch these again and report back but I think the "he just stands there and waits for the ball carrier" noise is a myth.. at least it looked that way last night..

Creeper

Reaction score
I think both players will be gone next year. Parsons and Cox will be starters and they will go with Gifford or Bernard for the 3rd LB.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
From the play by play:
2 3:08 1 10 TAM 43 Tom Brady pass complete short middle to Chris Godwin for 10 yards (tackle by Jaylon Smith and Jourdan Lewis)

This play is a dump over the middle to Godwin.. Tampa is in hurry up.. everybody drops.. Jaylon starts at about 8 and drops to 12-13 yards. After Godwin makes the catch he gears down and hits him right at the sticks and drive him back. There was no waiting involved here..

4 15:00 1 10 TAM 40 Leonard Fournette up the middle for 7 yards (tackle by Jayron Kearse and Jaylon Smith) 26 28 1.600 2.000

Again it looks like the Cowboys are playing pass.. Jaylon appears to be the only linebacker on the field. At the snap he drops to about 8-9 yards.. Fournette plows into the pile and almost comes out of it when Jaylon meets him at about 5-6 yards with a shoulder. Again contact is made going forward.. Fournette still falls forward for another yard but that's what 230 backs do if they aren't touched until they're 4-5 yards down field. If you wanna say Jaylon waited on that one then fine.. Not knowing his assignment I can't bang on him because all the safeties were up around the LOS and he might have been told to keep everything in front of him.

4 14:20 2 3 TAM 47 Tom Brady pass complete short left to Leonard Fournette for 1 yard (tackle by Jaylon Smith) 26 28 2.000 1.420

Very next play.. Fournette lines up wide and Jaylon has him one on one.. Brady slings the pass out quickly.. Jaylon stuffs the play just as quickly..

4 13:38 3 2 TAM 48 Tom Brady pass complete short left to Mike Evans for 5 yards (tackle by Jaylon Smith)

Next play.. Brady catches the defense moving around and gets Evans on Jaylon.. whips the ball right to him at about 5 yards.. Jaylon makes the tackle immediately.. Again.. no waiting.. 4 tackles.. a total of maybe 1 yard gained after Jaylon made contact with the ball carrier.. Make of it what you will.. however there is no need to make crap up.. The reality is there for all to see.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
For the record......Parson led all defensive players with 51snaps followed by Neal with 50, DLaw 43, Gregory 37, Odighizuwa 36

They primarily ran three-receiver, so we primarily stayed in the nickel. Parsons and Neal are our nickel linebackers. They didn't play every snap in the nickel, but if teams are going to run one-tight end offenses, they are going to mainly be the ones out there.

mrmojo

Reaction score
This play is a dump over the middle to Godwin.. Tampa is in hurry up.. everybody drops.. Jaylon starts at about 8 and drops to 12-13 yards. After Godwin makes the catch he gears down and hits him right at the sticks and drive him back. There was no waiting involved here..

Again it looks like the Cowboys are playing pass.. Jaylon appears to be the only linebacker on the field. At the snap he drops to about 8-9 yards.. Fournette plows into the pile and almost comes out of it when Jaylon meets him at about 5-6 yards with a shoulder. Again contact is made going forward.. Fournette still falls forward for another yard but that's what 230 backs do if they aren't touched until they're 4-5 yards down field. If you wanna say Jaylon waited on that one then fine.. Not knowing his assignment I can't bang on him because all the safeties were up around the LOS and he might have been told to keep everything in front of him.

Very next play.. Fournette lines up wide and Jaylon has him one on one.. Brady slings the pass out quickly.. Jaylon stuffs the play just as quickly..

Next play.. Brady catches the defense moving around and gets Evans on Jaylon.. whips the ball right to him at about 5 yards.. Jaylon makes the tackle immediately.. Again.. no waiting.. 4 tackles.. a total of maybe 1 yard gained after Jaylon made contact with the ball carrier.. Make of it what you will.. however there is no need to make crap up.. The reality is there for all to see.
Why are we dissecting Jaylon Smith plays.......the less I see of him out there the better.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Why are we dissecting Jaylon Smith plays.......the less I see of him out there the better.

Because people are making up crap to support their narrative about how he played. The fact of the matter is when he's on the field he finds the ball carrier at a higher rate than the rest of our linebackers. That is an incontrovertible fact. There is plenty about his game to criticize.. but I can't sit still while people make up blatant nonsense to support their own misguided critiques of him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It looked to me like Brady and the Bucs were moving the ball quite well whenever those two were out there. Almost as if they went up-tempo to prevent the Cowboys from taking them off the field.

If nothing else, it got me thinking that it won’t be a huge loss when neither is back next year.

All I know is action speaks louder than words.......for this game, their snap counts clearly show Quinn thought he had better options. I'm starting to wonder if releasing Jaylon is the best looking at the big pic. His 2022 salary is guaranteed for injury. In other words, if he can't pass a physical at the start of the 2022 league year, we're on the hook for his salary if I understand his contract correctly. That risk isn't worth an average of 15-20 snaps a game......just isn't, no matter how little we gain from his release this year. Bottom line, if he goes down with say an ACL or one of those injuries that take a year of recovery, we're fried (LOL).

stinkface

Reaction score
Maybe the snaps played have something to do with what scheme the other team is running. Lets see what the snap count is for everyone after about 4 games. Then maybe someone who isn't playing gets moved.

PS. Who plays the most when we are playing heavy run teams will say a lot. PS. We act like we got smoked Thursday night. Bottom line is we almost beat the Super Bowl Champs in their house. The sky isn't quite falling yet.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All I know is action speaks louder than words.......for this game, their snap counts clearly show Quinn thought he had better options. I'm starting to wonder if releasing Jaylon is the best looking at the big pic. His 2022 salary is guaranteed for injury. In other words, if he can't pass a physical at the start of the 2022 league year, we're on the hook for his salary if I understand his contract correctly. That risk isn't worth an average of 15-20 snaps a game......just isn't, no matter how little we gain from his release this year. Bottom line, if he goes down with say an ACL or one of those injuries that take a year of recovery, we're fried (LOL).

That’s definitely a big consideration but I’m doubtful it’s one that the team is thinking about. After all, they saw his play last year and still somehow decided to pick up his option in March of this year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Quinn’s going to have to get creative. Tampa knew when we expected run and pass
the media said they did break down of the game and TB had to change plays more then 24 times because Quinn had the prefect defense on for the actual play they wanted to run..so in effect Quinn was calling a great game abut TB12 was too good and that offense far too good to adjust to audibles game 1 in a new defense playing that team.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
For the record......Parson led all defensive players with 51snaps followed by Neal with 50, DLaw 43, Gregory 37, Odighizuwa 36

The snap count of the defensive players has already been discussed in a different thread. Maybe the mods can merge the two threads?