Jaylon Smith is a major key in turning around this defense

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
no scheme has a player doing this
Yes scheme does cause that problem.

When 3 blockers get clean releases to block LBs and the LBs are moving sideways that"s a fail regardless of who is playing LB.

Jaylon's top responsibility is to get outside of that blocker. Vander Esch was late but that also due to scheme issues.

Reactions: JPM

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
In the video it looks like he's dragging it almost. Just wow.

What seems strange to me is that he doesn't seem willing (or able) to *plant* his left foot and drive off of it. I thought the drop foot weakened the flexors and not the extensions of your shin.

The foot dragging and dropping is what I'd expect from "drop foot". But not being able to plant and drive with his left foot was unexpected.

Whatever it is, it looks like more of a handicap than I'd think a LB could handle in the NFL. He was *increasingly* gimpy all year - the arrow is in the wrong direction with no end in sight.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The only thing I can chalk it up to is injury or problems with his orthotic/brace. Jaylon was a MUCH more active and violent player in 2018 than in 19 - and taking on blocks wasn't the issue. He played Mike all year in 2018 and dealt with plenty of guards effectively.

The most visible difference for me was in zone. 2018 Jaylon was awesome in deep zone - a guy catches it underneath him, he explodes forward and pops him for a 4 yard gain. 2019 Jaylon would see the catch, hesitate, stumble around, take a crappy angle, and just get beat 1 on 1. By the time the DBs wrestled that guy down, he'd have a 15 yard gain off a checkdown.

I'll repeat it again - if Jaylon and LVE's problems really were about dealing with blockers, you would have seen them dominate while defending toss plays, RB flareouts, deep zones, etc, when they were playing untouched in space. They roundly sucked at all of those assignments in 2019, and killed them in 2018. So what changed? My only answer is medicals.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Its time to face the facts that contract was a massive front office blunder and we need to move on from it ASAP. Of course that will never happen for us because "we like our guys".

ondaedg

Reaction score
What seems strange to me is that he doesn't seem willing (or able) to *plant* his left foot and drive off of it. I thought the drop foot weakened the flexors and not the extensions of your shin.

The foot dragging and dropping is what I'd expect from "drop foot". But not being able to plant and drive with his left foot was unexpected.

Whatever it is, it looks like more of a handicap than I'd think a LB could handle in the NFL. He was *increasingly* gimpy all year - the arrow is in the wrong direction with no end in sight.

A lb has to be able to plant that foot for leverage that is for sure. I wonder if MM has noticed or is questioning his ability to do that.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The only thing I can chalk it up to is injury or problems with his orthotic/brace. Jaylon was a MUCH more active and violent player in 2018 than in 19 - and taking on blocks wasn't the issue. He played Mike all year in 2018 and dealt with plenty of guards effectively.

The most visible difference for me was in zone. 2018 Jaylon was awesome in deep zone - a guy catches it underneath him, he explodes forward and pops him for a 4 yard gain. 2019 Jaylon would see the catch, hesitate, stumble around, take a crappy angle, and just get beat 1 on 1. By the time the DBs wrestled that guy down, he'd have a 15 yard gain off a checkdown.

I'll repeat it again - if Jaylon and LVE's problems really were about dealing with blockers, you would have seen them dominate while defending toss plays, RB flareouts, deep zones, etc, when they were playing untouched in space. They roundly sucked at all of those assignments in 2019, and killed them in 2018. So what changed? My only answer is medicals.

Both have some noticeable beef in front of them now...

pitt33

Reaction score

Absolutely spot on here.

Hated the pick at the time (due to injury) and hate the pick even more now. He’s a linebacker basically playing on one leg.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its time to face the facts that contract was a massive front office blunder and we need to move on from it ASAP. Of course that will never happen for us because "we like our guys".
A lb has to be able to plant that foot for leverage that is for sure. I wonder if MM has noticed or is questioning his ability to do that.
Absolutely spot on here.

Hated the pick at the time (due to injury) and hate the pick even more now. He’s a linebacker basically playing on one leg.

Nonsensical fan narrative.

The problems in 2019 and in the 2018 season playoff game vs the Rams were scheme problems.

Offenses routinely had 2 OL and a TE get clean releases to get out and block LBs. When the LB are moving sideways to defend zone runs, they're going to lose vs OL the majority of the time.

The only difference in Jaylon physically from 2018 to 2019 was that he gained weight. It appeared to be a significant amount of weight.

They often used him to replace a DT on obvious passing downs in 2019. He would line up in one of the big gaps on either side of the lone DT. Another LB would come in to replace his normal LB duties. The team might have encouraged him to gain weight to play this style.

OLB in Mike Nolan scheme will be a great fit for Jaylon. Nolan uses OLBs more like 3-4 OLBs where they often align on or near the line and truly outside. Their pass coverage is responsibilities are more limit when true 4-3 WLBs and MLBs because Nolan uses a based 2-deep Safety alignment.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Nonsensical fan narrative.

The problems in 2019 and in the 2018 season playoff game vs the Rams were scheme problems.

Offenses routinely had 2 OL and a TE get clean releases to get out and block LBs. When the LB are moving sideways to defend zone runs, they're going to lose vs OL the majority of the time.

The only difference in Jaylon physically from 2018 to 2019 was that he gained weight. It appeared to be a significant amount of weight.

They often used him to replace a DT on obvious passing downs in 2019. He would line up in one of the big gaps on either side of the lone DT. Another LB would come in to replace his normal LB duties. The team might have encouraged him to gain weight to play this style.

OLB in Mike Nolan scheme will be a great fit for Jaylon. Nolan uses OLBs more like 3-4 OLBs where they often align on or near the line and truly outside. Their pass coverage is responsibilities are more limit when true 4-3 WLBs and MLBs because Nolan uses a based 2-deep Safety alignment.

I think you're missing the point. The scheme put our LBers in a bad spot for sure. That I agree with you 100%. But that video clearly showed he struggled to move the heavy bag and his left leg wasn't working the way you would expect it to. It literally looked like he was dragging it. If you watch the video you will clearly see his left leg is moving very awkwardly and not contributing to his push.

I have no agenda against Jaylon so what i see is what i see. He is wealthy beyond belief now so no matter what happens here he is financially comfortable the rest of his life. I hope he turns into an all pro but he has to have two legs that can plant and provide forward leverage as a MLBer no matter what team or scheme he is in.

pitt33

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith is a good story on perseverance and determination.

The fact of the matter is Jaylon Smith hasn’t gotten over the mental hurdle of that injury. I can’t think of ONE play where that player has really taken on an opponent full force when engaged.

And I do believe Nolan will have the LB’s playing better. I also believe the defense will be better overall.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Many will argue that Jaylon Smith production took a major hit last season. The novice fans who watched the games would see:

-Jaylon struggling against the run. Had a very difficult time disengaging from blocks.
-Was exposed somewhat in pass coverage
-Probably his best attribute was as an inside blitzer.
-Certainly didn't help losing LVE, along with assistant coaches fighting over how to use him.
-Clearly still has some physical limitations
-Doesn't possess elite instincts at the position
-Possesses elite athletic attributes, tremendous short area burst and straightline speed.

In my opinion, Jaylon Smith has been miscast playing the Middle Linebacker position. He clearly is a run and hit type of linebacker, not the type who can consistently take on oncoming blockers in the run game. The new staff needs to put him into better positions to succeed, need to have him play more to his strengths. Mike Nolan last stop was as a LB Coach, it's up to him to figure out how to best use Jaylon. If Jaylon can return to 2019 form, it will be a major key in turning around this defense.
I think a lot of his struggles were with the scheme, he was caught between Richard and Marinelli. His best attribute is going down hill, attacking, but he was asked to sort of play the middle, diagnose the play and react, and with DL attacking and DBs dropping back he had a large area to cover as well. It didn't help that he didn't have LVE and two sub par LBs, even if Lee played, he was a shell of himself. I think he is going to have a good year, similar to two years ago. he will blitz and employ his speed, he is good in coverage and he is a good down hill attacking LB. not that I am advocating, but he and LVE would be awesome as MLBs in a 3-4 defense. but we are two year away from changing to a 3-4 defense.....too early for that....

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think a lot of his struggles were with the scheme, he was caught between Richard and Marinelli. His best attribute is going down hill, attacking, but he was asked to sort of play the middle, diagnose the play and react, and with DL attacking and DBs dropping back he had a large area to cover as well. It didn't help that he didn't have LVE and two sub par LBs, even if Lee played, he was a shell of himself. I think he is going to have a good year, similar to two years ago. he will blitz and employ his speed, he is good in coverage and he is a good down hill attacking LB. not that I am advocating, but he and LVE would be awesome as MLBs in a 3-4 defense. but we are two year away from changing to a 3-4 defense.....too early for that....

-Scheme and lack of coaching certainly was a factor with the group. There were reports about Richard/Bloom having issues and Richard/Marinelli not being on the same page. It appears it was a total mess. Both Jaylon/Lve if healthy are extremely talented players if used right have pro bowl potential. Let's see if this staff uses them better.

Dre11

Reaction score
Agreed. There are certainly scheme issues which allowed a lineman to get to the 2nd level untouched but that is no excuse for how Jaylon played that.

Thats on Tristian Hill, I couldnt make out the number, he has to force the combo block but he attacks too far inside and allow the gaurd to come off too easy to the LB
Yes scheme does cause that problem.

When 3 blockers get clean releases to block LBs and the LBs are moving sideways that"s a fail regardless of who is playing LB.

Jaylon's top responsibility is to get outside of that blocker. Vander Esch was late but that also due to scheme issues.

no it's not Jaylon responsibility is not to get outside of no blocker, his responsibility is his gap, that's what a gap defense is, he is to attack and shed, not to go laterally away from your gap. he's late to react right along with Vander Esh. but the issue started with the DLineman.
also, no defensive player is taught by scheme or fundamentally to stand straight up.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Absolutely spot on here.

I liked the pick at the time. If he regained function, he was a top 5 pick in the 30s, giving us a discount on the pick *and* his salary. Probably it wasn't going to work out, I thought it was worth playing a less than 50% chance for a greater than 300% potential return.

I thought it was worth the risk. And after 2018, it looked like the bet had paid off. He was great in 2018, and they were expecting him to make a further jump in 2019.

But anyone with eyes could see him deteriorate over the year. The Pro Bowl video looks like a guy unfit to play football.

I don't get how his condition got *worse*. And how there are no stories or discussions about this? I'd like to hear that he had some actual injury to his calf, and it's not the nerve, because at least that might heal. As it stands, I assume the nerve has regressed, which seems very bad news, particularly after extending him on a mysteriously cheap contract *guaranteed for health*.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think you're missing the point. The scheme put our LBers in a bad spot for sure. That I agree with you 100%.
But that video clearly showed he struggled to move the heavy bag and his left leg wasn't working the way you would expect it to. It literally looked like he was dragging it. If you watch the video you will clearly see his left leg is moving very awkwardly and not contributing to his push.

This.

A problem with scheme and a problem with Jaylon's leg are not mutually exclusive theories.

Jaylon's leg issue was increasingly apparent all year, but the Pro Bowl video showed a guy simply unwilling to plant and push with his left leg.

Note that he couldn't push the *first* and *lightest* of 3 heavy bags he was supposed to push all together. Jaylon's leg ain't right.

pitt33

Reaction score
But anyone with eyes could see him deteriorate over the year. The Pro Bowl video looks like a guy unfit to play football.

I don't get how his condition got *worse*. And how there are no stories or discussions about this? I'd like to hear that he had some actual injury to his calf, and it's not the nerve, because at least that might heal. As it stands, I assume the nerve has regressed, which seems very bad news, particularly after extending him on a mysteriously cheap contract *guaranteed for health*.
Last year was not good for him.

Whatsoever.

The regression part of his play (regardless of scheme), was so noticeable I was compelled to contact Mac Engel at FWST about this topic. Was he hurt and the team wasn’t letting on about it? It was a stunning departure from 2018.

I just want the defense to improve everywhere. Players and coaches alike. This team will forever be stuck in a football time warp without a defense capable of winning some games on their own merit.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The regression part of his play (regardless of scheme), was so noticeable I was compelled to contact Mac Engel at FWST about this topic. Was he hurt and the team wasn’t letting on about it? It was a stunning departure from 2018.

Did you get a reply from Engel?