News: Jaylon Smith is quietly having his best season

HomeBiscuit

Reaction score
anyone surprised

hi-res-8b5db2f9c52ad384118f8a724641a43f_crop_north.jpg

T-RO

Reaction score
Pure tackle counts don't always tell you a lot. LB's are going to have more tackles. It's often a question of where the tackle is taking place. Is it after a 10 yard gain?

His PFF was bad to start the season, but has been on the rise. Now sits at 67.9.

He's been playing well the past month.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Pure tackle counts don't always tell you a lot. LB's are going to have more tackles. It's often a question of where the tackle is taking place. Is it after a 10 yard gain?

His PFF was bad to start the season, but has been on the rise. Now sits at 67.9.

I’m telling @xwalker you’re using PFF.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I am a huge Smith fan. Story aside, the guy is a killer LB. His play on Watson on the goal line last year, to me, showed his potential greatness. Lots of folks here ripped on him his first year because he looked lost. The dumb coaching staff threw a guy out there who had not played in 2 years AND did not have full mobility in his foot. IMO he was remarkable given that his first year, especially toward the end. Last year I thought the guy was a wrecking ball. Complete stud. This year I think the coaching staff have failed him and LVE. Putting those guys in coverage and on their heels more than attacking. Marinelli is a disaster. Smith, because he is great, has still flashed. I think his timing was off to begin the season but he has looked much better the last few games. Why? Well the morons are attacking with him more - finally. Giving a guy like him some freedom to make plays rather than sticking him in a box and telling him to react. Never underestimate the stupidity of this organization when it comes to players. Almost ruined Jones as a S. Collins as a 1 tech. Sean Lee as a Mike LB. Anyone with a brain can see these guys were not in the right spot.

I am glad Smith has looked great the last few games. It might shut up the morons here that bash him.

Good post.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He hasn't made as many of those splash plays where he's causing havoc like last year, but he still involved. Hopefully he's found a rhythm and will continue to pick it up

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
@T-RO said it well above; LBs are always going to rack up tackles.

In addition, the scorers often tend to credit tackles to the LB when the play's not otherwise clear. Say Saquon Barkley takes a 3rd and 1 dive and goes down in a scrum of jerseys at the first down line. You can't really break down who made that tackle without a Zapruder film-esque frame by frame analysis, and truth be told, there were probably 2 or 3 guys who were all grabbing them. So to keep it simple, If the scorer sees Jaylon hitting the hole and heading towards Barkey, Jaylon's probably getting that stat. Some booths are worse about this than others, I remember that Buffalo's scorers are notorious for this.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

PFF ratings don't tell you much more than tackles.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
It's very weird because he started playing better when Sean Lee got in there. LVE and Jaylon were a killer combo last year, but now Jaylon and Lee seem to have better chemistry. Strange. Glad to see him trending upwards though. Our defense as a whole is getting better.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well please keep us updated on his PFF scores so we know if he's playing well.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Imagine having to log in to some stat geek website to formulate your opinion on players.

Good news! Jaylon Smith's PFF score is going up! Cowboys!!
All joking aside, do you think Jaylon is playing better now or the first month of the season?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He's been 50/50 IMO, he had a horrible start to the season while we were winning our first 3 games but it appears he's turned it around the last month. If he keeps it up, then yes he will be having his best season yet but I don't think we can say that to this point.