Video: Jaylon Smith - Not Guilty

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Stupid lazy fans are getting tiresome.

When a LB is moving sideways vs the outside zone run which has a cut back inside option, even if the LB "wins" against a blocker in the open field, the LB will still be late getting to the RB.

Stack and shed is a concept when the RB needs to get past the area where the LB is located and the blocker is attempting to move the LB (i.e. The RB is coming towards the LB).

On the outside zone the RB is running to a spot where the LB is not located (Going away from the LB) and the LB is trying to get to that spot also. The blockers in the open field become more like pass blockers just needing slow down the defender.

The blocker wins if the LB goes inside the block and the RBs stays outside and vice-versa.

When 2 OL and TE are blocking in the open field, the LBs are going to struggle when moving sideways.

With 2 OL and a TE blocking in the open field, that means 3 OL are occupying 4 DL. That was Marinelli's scheme vs the outside zone run, especially when the run started to the side of the 1tech DT.

In 2019 Cowboys opponents just copied the Rams from the playoff game.

The Packers and Vikings in particular used zone running to gash the Cowboys in 2019.

:facepalm:

What a sincere load of crap.

Stack and shed is simply the fundamental technique of when a defender engages a blocker for the purpose of maintaining his position and discarding the blocker to make a play on the ball carrier.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Stupid lazy fans are getting tiresome.

When a LB is moving sideways vs the outside zone run which has a cut back inside option, even if the LB "wins" against a blocker in the open field, the LB will still be late getting to the RB.

Stack and shed is a concept when the RB needs to get past the area where the LB is located and the blocker is attempting to move the LB (i.e. The RB is coming towards the LB).

On the outside zone the RB is running to a spot where the LB is not located (Going away from the LB) and the LB is trying to get to that spot also. The blockers in the open field become more like pass blockers just needing slow down the defender.

The blocker wins if the LB goes inside the block and the RBs stays outside and vice-versa.

When 2 OL and TE are blocking in the open field, the LBs are going to struggle when moving sideways.

With 2 OL and a TE blocking in the open field, that means 3 OL are occupying 4 DL. That was Marinelli's scheme vs the outside zone run, especially when the run started to the side of the 1tech DT.

In 2019 Cowboys opponents just copied the Rams from the playoff game.

The Packers and Vikings in particular used zone running to gash the Cowboys in 2019.
I won't even pretend to know which out of 32 teams are running ZBS in a given year but I will say the Jaylon stuff is part lazy, part basic haterism with a large dash ohh he hurt me.
Some people hated the draft pick and swore he'd never play in the NFL.. then swore ok he is playing but not any good to well he is ok but overrated and overpaid
That group should be put to the sword.

Jaylon has NEVER been a top 25 paid LB. In 2020 he should be still outside that. That's not the kind of money you turn on a guy over. Of all the Cowboys FA, he has given the team\ the most team-friendly deal over the past 2 seasons.

The swipe and clear eyed view were Jaylon's entire persona BEFORE HE MADE ANY MONEY.
It's OK to think it is corny but they should check themselves if they think it is now all of a sudden an issue.

Again the video is well-done and people who watch them see the obvious points being made.

RoboQB

Reaction score
My advice to you is not to take this so seriously. This is just entertainment, you don't have to personally hate a player. Probably isn't the best thing for a person's mental state.

My advice to you is to grab your lower lip and pull it over your head.

It's a football forum. The guy's a poser. I give my opinion and I move on.

plasticman

Reaction score
There is this philosophy of acquiring great value by drafting an injured player that was previously considered elite and being patient with his recovery. However, I wonder how much consideration is taken about that player's mental or emotional state once they are physically recovered. There is also the mental state of a player being injured and being told that his type of injury is often career ending and it has the potential to repeat itself.

It would be very difficult for a player in either case not to have these concerns without effecting the quality of his play. It would certainly create hesitancy and hesitancy is the enemy of a linebacker.

On defense linebackers must observe and react. A few tenths of a second can be the difference in a game deciding play and even that team's season. Linebackers cannot hesitate, they must immediately recognize and instantly attack. They must be willing to use everything their body can give them, hold nothing back. A linebacker loses their ability to play at the NFL level when they lose any degree of recklessness. That is, when they begin to consider, during the play, the consequences to their own bodies.

We have great talent in our linebackers but the best three all have the type of injuries I have described. Jaylon had a terrible injury in college, Lee has had injury issues his entire career, Leighton's was told by the doctors that neck injury was career threatening. He played two games with it before going on IR.

This is how he described it:

" But that's what people don't understand is we're putting our bodies on the line every single game. They want to have judgment [and] want to have opinion on everything, and they have absolutely no idea what we're going through [or] what we're putting on the line to go out there and play -- just so they can watch us".

I'm not saying that this is a true fact when it comes to their individual cases but if you can recognize a hesitancy to get really physical on certain plays of a game like tacking in a pile or taking on the block of a larger player then it may play a part. In which case the Cowboys have lost the warrior they drafted. I hope this is not the case with any of them.