RELEASED Jaylon Smith released

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Don’t understand why this is so difficult for some that they are creating fake scenarios about an argument or him being upset over a lack of playing time.

Super simple stuff. He gets hurt the we owe him 9.2M in a year where we are already in the red salary cap wise. Playing a guy limited snaps isn’t worth the risk or major injury. You already made a mistake resigning him, so why prolong it even further/chance a worse mistake? Once the team was able to be confident about the play of other LB’s then Jaylon became expendable. Plus they see Cox in practice and probably have a strong idea about his ability.

People who question why we didn’t keep him for depth or bench him incase injury are out of touch with the reality of football. Even if you’re paying him, you don’t just ice him if he’s healthy. You release the guy and let him get a chance to play. Other than the end of a season when a team is already out of contention, no one just sits healthy vets for 12 games. Give the guy a chance to move on to a new team.

Plus Smith is obviously the slowest LB on the team while having issues playing gaps. Gifford and Bernard offer higher upside at this point.
Cox looks like he belongs. Watching him in preseason I knew that it was just a matter of time. He’s made for the modern game. A very nice compliment to Parsons.

Scotman

Reaction score
I am crushed by this. Truly. I had hoped he would improve from his 2018 season...not decline.

I'm not crushed they cut him, I get that.

I'm crushed because I bought a signed jersey of his in 2018 and put it away...knowing he'd be in the HOF some day.

Now I've got a signed jersey with the wrong number and he isn't even a Cowboy any more.

Anyone want to buy a jersey?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Outstanding! Now, how about parlaying this with Almost Anthonys’ release? :grin:

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
Yeah it’s disappointing to see all the lowlife comments.
sad-cry.gif

stiletto

Reaction score
IM thinking the coaching staff wanted him gone prior, but Jerry wouldnt do it. Then after watching the first 4 games he could no longer deny them.

I think there was a point before the draft they could have released Jaylon and saved a buttload. I am guessing they had no idea they'd be drafting Parsons+Cox and were leaning more towards CB. Had they known Parsons and Cox would fall into their laps, I am pretty sure they'd have cut Jaylon before the deadline where he got the guaranteed money. But really at the end of the day, Jaylon's salary is like you or me buying a toy for our kid or something. An expensive toy but not like we can't pay the mortgage. haha

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Jerry: every time I see Jaylon he's tackling someone 10 yards down field, doing that stupid swipe thing or jumping on the pile. I can't believe I paid him that much money for that!?!?! Stephen how much do we save when we cut him next year? Something like $9mm right???

Stephen: i don't know dad let me check his contract... Holy #%$@... Did you know if he gets injured his next year's salary is guaranteed???

Jerry: dagumbit Stephen i told you to get rid of those injury clauses in the contracts.

Jerry: Jaylon, do you mind coming into my office i got some news to share with you.

Aven8

Reaction score
I am crushed by this. Truly. I had hoped he would improve from his 2018 season...not decline.

I'm not crushed they cut him, I get that.

I'm crushed because I bought a signed jersey of his in 2018 and put it away...knowing he'd be in the HOF some day.

Now I've got a signed jersey with the wrong number and he isn't even a Cowboy any more.

Anyone want to buy a jersey?

:laugh:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes seriously. We hadn’t drafted Parsons or Cox yet. If you knew Parsons was going to play the way he is. If you know that Jaylon wasn’t going to play the way he is, then you hold onto him to protect yourself.

come on Stash I always thought you was a smart football guy.

I am.

Smart enough to know you don’t guarantee $7 million to a guy who’s bad enough to be cut a month into the season.

There’s no defending that so you should quit trying.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Nothing is nefarious or complicated about this guys, if he got hurt he would be a massive anchor on future cap because of the injury guarantee!

They can see he’s not needed on this defense and I just hope they are confident in the depth. They could have egg on their face if a LB or two go down in the next few weeks. I think it’s a good gamble.

Can I like this a thousand times. It really this simple!

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Because its 4 games into this season and they could have kept him and cut him after the season to the same effect. He was abruptly fired from the team in a rare in-season move. There is obviously more of a story here.
Maybe his 'it's all love' attitude didn't vibe with Parsons and the new blood in the locker room

T-RO

Reaction score
Seriously, I need to be put on this forum's Ring of Honor because I was calling-out Jaylon back in 2019, but the deniers wouldn't believe it.

BELIEVE IT!!!!!

Check my reciepts.

Who noticed Jaylon's poor play but you? You are a true visionary, a blessing to us all.

conner01

Reaction score
He could get hurt in practice.
He also might have some degenerative thing with his knee after the injury and operation.
Yep
And depth means playing some so the risk was just too high
But lots of guys get injured in practice
It’s a smart move knowing he was a 9 million dollar liability waiting to happen