JB at FS = RW playing like DW

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Those who are suggesting that moving our rookie safety to FS would put him out of position are forgetting a little history. Throughout Darren Woodson's career, we never had a FS who could cover as well as our SS, not even George Teague.

Woodson always played in the box in running situations because he was another LB, but in passing situations, he was always covering the slot receiver in his prime because he was the best cover guy on the team outside of our starting CBs. He often played the deep coverage on 3rd downs while we actually blitzed with Teague.

If Beriault is a big time hitter, sure tackler, heady instinctive player who finds the ball and makes plays, and if he can cover at all and not get beaten deep, then he'd be great at FS because Roy has just enough coverage skills that he could play back on obvious passing downs, ala Darren Woodson.

Beriault could play deep 1/2 or deep 1/3 or cover the TE or blitz.

Another scenerio would have Keith Davis playing FS if he can win the job and Beriault picking up the slack on Special Teams.

It would be nice to have an All Pro FS who can come up and bring the wood or drop back and play like a CB, but it isn't a prerequisite for the position. When you have a SS with the skills of a Woodson or Williams, I think you just want the best playmaking FS you can get on the field, but a guy who won't bite on every run fake and give up the big play.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Beriault playing around the line is irrelevant i think b/c thats why RW is here

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Those who are suggesting that moving our rookie safety to FS would put him out of position are forgetting a little history. Throughout Darren Woodson's career, we never had a FS who could cover as well as our SS, not even George Teague.

Thomas Everett was great it coverage for us. Brock wasn't bad either. It's true though, it's been a longtime since Dallas has had a pure cover saftey. From James Washington to Marion to Teague to RW/DW, we always seem to have hammers back there.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how good a player can cover I want a ball hawking hitter at FS and from the sound of it Beriault might be the man. Granted I like Davis and I think we may get some good competition out of our FS's this preseason.....at least lets hope so...

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
RW belongs at the line bottom line, he should be covering nobody, he needs to be in the backfield causing havoic,

aikemirv

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
Woodson was a better cover guy than Roy is.

By a long shot, I love RW, but I would much rather have L Scott in coverage than him and probably Beriault too. He is just too big to be sticking with the WR and just does not have the knack for coverage.

Reaction score
Easy people. Roy is a good coverage SS. He had great ball skills and terrific instincts. Can he be asked to cover faster players down the field while last seasons pathetic pass rushers allowed the QB to stand in the pocket flat footed? NO. But give him and average pass rush and I think we'll all see more of the Roy we saw in his rookie year, as opposed to what happened last season. There are already too many examples of Roy making great plays on the ball thrown down the field for ya'll to say you'd rather have L Scott in coverage than ROY. Ya'll are making me sick.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
As long as the FS can play zone things will be fine. But the hope is that they can find a guy with the instincts to read where the qb is throwing the ball and the burst to get there. I think Beriault has the tools to do that if given the opportunity.

Hoods

Reaction score
BEASToftheEAST said:
Easy people. Roy is a good coverage SS. He had great ball skills and terrific instincts. Can he be asked to cover faster players down the field while last seasons pathetic pass rushers allowed the QB to stand in the pocket flat footed? NO. But give him and average pass rush and I think we'll all see more of the Roy we saw in his rookie year, as opposed to what happened last season. There are already too many examples of Roy making great plays on the ball thrown down the field for ya'll to say you'd rather have L Scott in coverage than ROY. Ya'll are making me sick.

This board does have some sense.

Reaction score
Yeah Scott dosn't have the speed to cover anyone...

I will give you Wayne that Woody could cover early in his acreer, but the last 3-4 years he sucked and was always burned bad...

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
BEASToftheEAST said:

Roy's coverage problems looked even worse than they were since he was basically trying to cover for the complete ineptitude of Dixon as well as trying to pick up the slack for the carousel at CB. The imporvement of our CBs will probably have the biggest impact on Roys game. Even if our FS is only marginally better than Lynn Dixie, Roy will look better.

Kilyin

Reaction score
I will give you Wayne that Woody could cover early in his acreer, but the last 3-4 years he sucked and was always burned bad...

Do you ever say anything good about our players? It's fine to throw some criticism around, but you've always got some crap to talk about Cowboy players. Not just Cowboy players, CORE Cowboy players.

I've noticed you really enjoy blasting on Dat. 'Tiny little weak Dat, can't blitz' (bet you'd change your tune real quick if you had to say that to him in person) and now you're going to diss on Woodson? Of all the Cowboys that have earned some deserved flack, Woodson isn't one of them. For that matter, neither is Nguyen. Darren always gave his all for the team and he wasn't the liability at the end of his career as you'd have everyone believe.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
RW belongs at the line bottom line, he should be covering nobody, he needs to be in the backfield causing havoic,
I'd have to disagree just a little...Roy can't blitz on every down...as a matter of fact, from the 3-4 with our OLB blitzing, Roy probably won't blitz very much...I like him hanging out in the middle abusing receivers who come across the middle.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
BEASToftheEAST said:
amen...not to the sick part though...lol....Roy has made some nice INT's, but what I love most is the way he intimidates receivers.

fortdick

Reaction score
Hollywood Henderson said:

Careful, our new Moderator, Woody's Girl, will ban you for talking like this!

:D

Great choices for Mods, BTW!

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
I say you put JB on the field with RW and watch teeth fly. The guy seems to be a person who has instincts for being around the ball. Justin B. should have a strong pass rush, better cover corners, and if he wants to intimidate receivers to not even think about coming into your neighborhood, then lay some pipe to those suckers and they won't creep around his area much more.

Touchdowns will be scored on you it's inevitable.
I just want to put JB out in the first team unit for at least 2 pre-season games I don't care which one they are. We need to stop looking else where for talent when you have lots of it here, just train these boys and let them loose.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Kilyin said:
I've noticed you really enjoy blasting on Dat.

Nothing gets by you.

Ask him what he thinks about Zimmer.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Hollywood Henderson said:
Yeah Scott dosn't have the speed to cover anyone...

thats pretty weak...take your ball and go home please.