Jeff Lynne's ELO at Wembley

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just watched this for the first time last night from Showtime and made the mistake of starting it at 11 and I "ok, I'll just watch one more song" myself to the end at 1am but man, that might have been the best music show I have watched for pure entertainment.

The set was enormous and impressive as was the gathering of musicians and singers to recreate a sound so studio specific that it was beyond impressive. I saw them live on the "Out of the Blue" tour with the space ship and that was something to see but this was really something. But this show was beyond that in every way.

I highly recommend this for anyone that's even a borderline fan because the recreation of some of the most intricate harmonies adding real substance instead of filler.

And the crowd was as happy to see them as any I've ever seen, even the young ones but the ones that grew up with their songs were in rare form and they were young again, it made me smile all night just to watch them.

And speaking of watching, and I was, the real reason I was up until the end was this one musician, and this is going to send one poster here on a search of this special, the violinist. She could be Kate Beckinsdale's twin and I think that cameraman was as taken with her as I was, she mesmerized me and I think she could play the violin.

Bonus track was "Handle with Care" from The Wilbury's and one of his singers nailed Roy Orbison's part. He also did Xanadu because he wrote it and it's one of his favorites.

Anyway, this was really one special that I highly recommend and I will watch it again and again.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know a couple of people that saw the show live and they said they were awed by how good it was.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know a couple of people that saw the show live and they said they were awed by how good it was.
I was amazed at the replication of a very tough studio sound to recreate. I had read that he was a nut for the details but that was impressive.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just watched this for the first time last night from Showtime and made the mistake of starting it at 11 and I "ok, I'll just watch one more song" myself to the end at 1am but man, that might have been the best music show I have watched for pure entertainment.

The set was enormous and impressive as was the gathering of musicians and singers to recreate a sound so studio specific that it was beyond impressive. I saw them live on the "Out of the Blue" tour with the space ship and that was something to see but this was really something. But this show was beyond that in every way.

I highly recommend this for anyone that's even a borderline fan because the recreation of some of the most intricate harmonies adding real substance instead of filler.

And the crowd was as happy to see them as any I've ever seen, even the young ones but the ones that grew up with their songs were in rare form and they were young again, it made me smile all night just to watch them.

And speaking of watching, and I was, the real reason I was up until the end was this one musician, and this is going to send one poster here on a search of this special, the violinist. She could be Kate Beckinsdale's twin and I think that cameraman was as taken with her as I was, she mesmerized me and I think she could play the violin.

Bonus track was "Handle with Care" from The Wilbury's and one of his singers nailed Roy Orbison's part. He also did Xanadu because he wrote it and it's one of his favorites.

Anyway, this was really one special that I highly recommend and I will watch it again and again.
Is this on Netflix or something On Demand? And who in the world would wanna see Kate Beckinsale fingering an instrument?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had a feeling you were talking about me...but you could have been talking about @DeathMonkey too, or probably a host of others here. Lol
I tell you, the woman wasn't just playing the violin, she was paying with the strings of my heart. I caught a wedding band but what the hell? If I am fantasizing, I can make believe I take her away from the MMA World Champ and make him cower in the corner and pee in his Speedos.

It's on Showtime and they've had some good ones this year, the final Black Sabbath concert was good but staged a little too much with the babes up front looking like supermodels but it was good musically.

The thing about this one was the fun the band was having helping Lynne realize his dream of playing Wembley that he had when he was just a kid. I don't know the part about the name or if there's some controversy with the name like Yes but it was billed as Jeff Lynne's ELO, not just ELO.

That set was awesome, that had to be quite an experience in person.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I tell you, the woman wasn't just playing the violin, she was paying with the strings of my heart. I caught a wedding band but what the hell? If I am fantasizing, I can make believe I take her away from the MMA World Champ and make him cower in the corner and pee in his Speedos.

It's on Showtime and they've had some good ones this year, the final Black Sabbath concert was good but staged a little too much with the babes up front looking like supermodels but it was good musically.

The thing about this one was the fun the band was having helping Lynne realize his dream of playing Wembley that he had when he was just a kid. I don't know the part about the name or if there's some controversy with the name like Yes but it was billed as Jeff Lynne's ELO, not just ELO.

That set was awesome, that had to be quite an experience in person.
Oh man, I don't think I get Showtime. I'll have to check.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I just watched this for the first time last night from Showtime and made the mistake of starting it at 11 and I "ok, I'll just watch one more song" myself to the end at 1am.

Sounds like my nightly YouTube habit.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I think you talking about the Langley sisters so lovely and they can play well.Rosie Vela used to be in the show too.
what a great band always loved them.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Watching it now.........First song, and already I know I'm gonna have to force myself to stop watching it and go to bed soon! .........and she is a stunning lady on the violin!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you talking about the Langley sisters so lovely and they can play well.Rosie Vela used to be in the show too.
what a great band always loved them.
Yep, believe you are right, the other sister is a cellist. Not only was the band splendid but you could see the fun they were having. Got to be a thrill to perform in that venue in front of as an appreciative crowd as I've ever seen. You get 60-70 year old dudes singing along with all the lyrics, not just the chorus, you've built one hell of a following.

Found out that the reason it is now called Jeff Lynne's ELO is that he left and the band continued on and he came back and reformed the band. I was disappointed that they didn't perform one of my favorite instrumentals, Fire On High, since he was the composer but they played for 2 hours.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yep, believe you are right, the other sister is a cellist. Not only was the band splendid but you could see the fun they were having. Got to be a thrill to perform in that venue in front of as an appreciative crowd as I've ever seen. You get 60-70 year old dudes singing along with all the lyrics, not just the chorus, you've built one hell of a following.

Found out that the reason it is now called Jeff Lynne's ELO is that he left and the band continued on and he came back and reformed the band. I was disappointed that they didn't perform one of my favorite instrumentals, Fire On High, since he was the composer but they played for 2 hours.
I gotta say, after watching only about 20 minutes so far, his vocals are the low point of the show. It's understandable at his age, and it's a lot better than guys who try to hit the notes they can't reach. He knows his limits and works with them. So far, great show, and you're right, I've never seen a crowd so into it. I've never considered ELO to be dance music, but they try their best in that audience!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watching it now.........First song, and already I know I'm gonna have to force myself to stop watching it and go to bed soon! .........and she is a stunning lady on the violin!
Thought you would like her, so does that cameraman, he only shows the third keyboardist because she's sitting to his right. And she'll throw a little coy smile when he's got her on the camera just toying with my heart.

Unlike the lousy cameraman that did the Pink Floyd "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" tour and only put that hotter than hot back up singer on a few times. C'mon, c'mon, we all know what Gilmour looks like.

I would like to start a tribute to the cameraman that was as taken with her as I was, he's a fine credit to the male species and I'd bet that's one Englishman that likes real football better than that silly round thing that looks like the tile in my bathroom.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thought you would like her, so does that cameraman, he only shows the third keyboardist because she's sitting to his right. And she'll throw a little coy smile when he's got her on the camera just toying with my heart.

Unlike the lousy cameraman that did the Pink Floyd "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" tour and only put that hotter than hot back up singer on a few times. C'mon, c'mon, we all know what Gilmour looks like.

I would like to start a tribute to the cameraman that was as taken with her as I was, he's a fine credit to the male species and I'd bet that's one Englishman that likes real football better than that silly round thing that looks like the tile in my bathroom.
There were likely several cameramen, and whoever did the editing is probably the one to praise. So, to whomever is responsible, I offer this:
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I gotta say, after watching only about 20 minutes so far, his vocals are the low point of the show. It's understandable at his age, and it's a lot better than guys who try to hit the notes they can't reach. He knows his limits and works with them. So far, great show, and you're right, I've never seen a crowd so into it. I've never considered ELO to be dance music, but they try their best in that audience!
That is also the oldest crowd I think I've seen, hell, Tony Bennett's crowds look younger. But those people were having the time of their lives and seemed to be reliving a lot of good memories.

Agree about the weak part but I am not a vocals guy, I get more into the instrumentation and with that show, the recreation of a tough studio sound to replicate. I don't think that's the usual traveling show with that many players and that freakin' set was huge. Lynne said it was the largest he'd ever seen and they were known for that larger than life spaceship on the "Out of the Blue" tour. We saw that live and the damned crowd would go nuts every time the lights flashed and I was wishing it would take them away.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That is also the oldest crowd I think I've seen, hell, Tony Bennett's crowds look younger. But those people were having the time of their lives and seemed to be reliving a lot of good memories.

Agree about the weak part but I am not a vocals guy, I get more into the instrumentation and with that show, the recreation of a tough studio sound to replicate. I don't think that's the usual traveling show with that many players and that freakin' set was huge. Lynne said it was the largest he'd ever seen and they were known for that larger than life spaceship on the "Out of the Blue" tour. We saw that live and the damned crowd would go nuts every time the lights flashed and I was wishing it would take them away.
Google search "Rosie Langley"..........................................sigh

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ya know, I'm about an hour or so into this, and I agree, it's friggin' great!......................They could use footage of this concert, if they ever make Cocoon 3 - Never Too Old To Rock!

Aggie87

Reaction score
I caught this show in Houston last Friday night, it was amazing. Essentially the same setlist as the show you're talking about, and the same band.

A couple of pics from my cell phone:

S8KfEHT.jpg

qRfsaov.jpg